• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ethanol free mogas

hotrod180

FRIEND
Port Townsend, WA
I'm kinda curious as to which areas have or do not have ethanol-free mogas available.
It is available here in western WA- maybe not "widely available", but you can find it.

Bob Turner, you recently made this post on another thread;
"Out here 100LL is within pennies of regular auto. I have found a mix of roughly 3/4 auto and 1/4 LL seems to reduce exhaust valve seat problems in the little Continentals." I assume you're talking about ethanol- free auto fuel.

I believe you live down in the San Diego area.
I haven't been to southern CA in several years, and haven't done any driving there in about 12 years.
But considering CA politics, it surprises me that ethanol-free would be available at all down there.

I have ethanol free 91 MoGas, it was $4.65 last month, have not checked lately. My non-ethonal station is on the way to the airport. AvGas here is $6.30.

My Lycoming O-360 angle valve is being built right now to produce 190hp and take MoGas. I was told by the builder to add a bit of marvelous mystery oil every fill up.

Edited to add: Stopped by to check on the way to the hanger today, current price is $4.49

Last edited:
Ethanol-free mogas is available all over the place in Wisconsin. Almost every station has ethanol-free premium, and some stations have other grades available as well. The premium is running about $3.50 a gallon right now, so till less than most avgas in the area.

Northeast New York State has a Stewart’s shop in most towns, and they have 91-non ethanol.
Well traditionally always at least a dollar less than avgas recently it did get a little closer, but avgas has a huge variance across NYS.
I think non-eth mogas is hovering about 4.05 and avgas is 4.89-6+.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Even if it was the same price I would buy efree mogas. Over 22,000 trouble free gallons so far

Glenn

Here, 100-miles north of the arctic circle, our Mogas is ethanol-free and 91 octane. It also has additional stabilizers as we get a shipment only once a year. $4.10 per US gallon. Considering our remoteness, that's not a bad price. Increases and decreases in cost occur only once a year. The transportation cost of our gasoline and heating fuel is highly subsidized.

Avgas, I'm not sure of. I bought a bunch years ago in sealed drums and I haven't used it up yet. Around $8.00 per US gallon when I last bought, but that was ten years ago.

Here in southeastern WA and also in Lewiston ID I've seen it range from 4.10-4.30 a gallon. Available in several places because jetboats like to use it. Lots of jetboats here.

I believe Stewart's policy is to stock nonethanol gas only at lake proximity gas stations.

On Long Island in down state NY it is against NY state law to dispense alcohol free gas. It’s unfortunate because the gas gets to the terminal without any ethanol in it. The ethanol is added at the terminal which is about 15 road miles from my airport. You would think common sense would allow alcohol free fuel to be delivered to airports, but no. Too much to expect.

We have one station that has 87 octane ethanol free. Quit using it when I up my compression to 160 hp. I could mix with Av gas but not worth the effort to me.

It's fairly common in Idaho, at least/especially at the Marverik chain of stations, and runs about 35 to 50 cents more then E-10. I only need "regular" mo gas for my engine, but I have to buy "premium" as it's the only stuff available E free. In a pinch, I burn E-10 with no issues, but for my 300 gallon home bulk tank, it's E-0.

That brings up the issue of the max allowed amount of gasoline (as opposed to diesel) one can legally transport without a haz mat cert:119 gallons! It does not seem to be enforced in my area, in fact I had a long conversation with a state trooper once while filling it at a gas station, his point being I was over gross for my pickup's 8,000 pound registration, for a minor fee I increased it to (I think) 12 K pounds, whatever, enough to be legal for the weight carried, but he said NOTHING about the 119 gallon limit issue, go figure.

From what I have read ethanol is mandated by air quality and you will see less ethanol free in larger populated areas.

I live in a rural area about 35 miles NW of Seattle.
100LL price at my airport has been steady for months at $6.38.
The price at my local Cenex for 87 octane e-zero fluctuates but is $4.17 right now.
I run a mix of 80% mogas / 20% avgas in my 180.
It runs cleaner plus saves me about $20 an hour.
I've run straight mogas before with no problems,
I guess I mix it with 100LL now "just because"--
but I'd run it straight again without hesitating if I had to.
I'd much rather run straight e-zero mogas than straight 100LL.

Ethanol-free mogas is available all over the place in Wisconsin. Almost every station has ethanol-free premium, and some stations have other grades available as well. The premium is running about $3.50 a gallon right now, so till less than most avgas in the area.

We are near Avoca (southwestern Wisconsin) and only about 20% of gas stations have ethanol free gas. Guess I'm in the wrong part of the state.

It's fairly common in Idaho, at least/especially at the Marverik chain of stations, and runs about 35 to 50 cents more then E-10. I only need "regular" mo gas for my engine, but I have to buy "premium" as it's the only stuff available E free. In a pinch, I burn E-10 with no issues, but for my 300 gallon home bulk tank, it's E-0.

That brings up the issue of the max allowed amount of gasoline (as opposed to diesel) one can legally transport without a haz mat cert:119 gallons! It does not seem to be enforced in my area, in fact I had a long conversation with a state trooper once while filling it at a gas station, his point being I was over gross for my pickup's 8,000 pound registration, for a minor fee I increased it to (I think) 12 K pounds, whatever, enough to be legal for the weight carried, but he said NOTHING about the 119 gallon limit issue, go figure.

Is that a state or federal limit?

We are near Avoca (southwestern Wisconsin) and only about 20% of gas stations have ethanol free gas. Guess I'm in the wrong part of the state.

Must not be as many lakes around you, which would surprise me. Around here, between boaters and snowmobilers, there are always people eagerly buying the ethanol-free stuff.

Joe's right EXCEPT S E Wisconsin, where I live. I need ethanol free gas for chain saws and have to drive 28 miles to buy a couple gallons. Grrrrr!

Yeah, the metro areas are not as lucky. (And I don't mean just for ethanol-free gas either!) We have two stations in Oshkosh that no ethanol in ANY of their grades, and I don't know of a single station around here that doesn't offer at least the premium ethanol-free. You'd better move north!! :)

Yesterday I posted it was over $4 a gallon here. But today I saw a station in Lewiston ID that had E-free for $3.88 a gallon.

Back