• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Acme vs TK-1 Gear

I’ve only seen Acme from a distance but I’d expect it to be good. I have 6” x 0” forward Shock Monster gear on my Cub. I like the way it’s built. Quality of welds and powder coating is excellent. Front and rear tubes are 1-1/2” so heavier aft tube than normal. Tony asked me to measure the height and width of my cabane and he made me a new one that was taller than my old one. I presume that keeps shock geometry where it’s supposed to be. Axles bolt in but I believe Acme does the same. Not a weakness, just different. I ordered long steps and one mid step. Highly recommended for getting in. Tony also included toe steps that attach to the lower strut bolts. Really handy for getting onto 35s. Customer support is always excellent with TK products. I’m a very happy customer.

The ACME shocks seem to be more popular from what I've seen on planes locally. Talking to those guys at the trade show this year really proved to me they know what they're doing. I used to build shocks for racing snowmachines and ACME uses the same stuff including putting each shock on a dyno to measure it's damping curve and blueprint each shock that way. Really impressive stuff.

What about the Beringer set up?;-) Just kidding…..

Acmes are my pick. They work awesome and look better than the TKs in my opinion. I’ve run both Gen 3s and Gen 4s. Gen 4s are my pick if you fly off airport much. Find Mauleguys video where he runs them thru the ringer. They will change the way you land.

You are right Stewart. The question was about gear legs and Jr and I shanked off. That said, I’d think that whatever gear leg configuration he goes with he’ll also go with that manufacturers shock system given it’s between the two above. Shocks are the most important part of the equation in my opinion.

Which one are you using?

My Cub has Tk-1 gear and shocks. I have no doubt Acme stuff is good, too, but I elected to use TK. No regrets. These new shocks are lightyears ahead of what you certified guys are using. The gear is less obvious. I liked Airframes and Atlee gear, too. But for 6” extended? I’m glad I did what I did.
Choices, choices.

*oh crap I didn't read so good* ACME has some fantastic gear as well. I don't know if they're in production on the titanium stuff but if you can get that in 6" it would be a pretty nice setup.

I do have to stump for the Airframes gear too obviously. We do 6" extended and it's super solidly built.

Some pics of TK-1 gear installed. Steps are very easy to adjust fore and aft. My long steps are set forward to serve as fuel steps. My old Airframes Super Duty gear spoiled me with the mid step so I added one here, too. I’ll never go without when using big tires.

Attachments

• ABBDB187-7730-4B18-B490-614B07B53A93.jpg
    ABBDB187-7730-4B18-B490-614B07B53A93.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 626B5507-1979-42BA-BAF8-7B92EFEA7E7D.jpg
    626B5507-1979-42BA-BAF8-7B92EFEA7E7D.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 142
  • CC9B19D0-7A8F-4DD0-B9C7-02F4D934A682.jpg
    CC9B19D0-7A8F-4DD0-B9C7-02F4D934A682.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 652AB751-40A9-481C-AFF9-7430473F1A3E.jpg
    652AB751-40A9-481C-AFF9-7430473F1A3E.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 177
Cabane is just a normal heavy duty type. Airframes, Atlee, anyone that makes a good one will do. They don't change based on gear height, only fuselage width.

I Think the only constant is the two fuselage attachment points. After that seems they all have a bit of difference (shock strut length, total width, etc). DENNY

TK determines extension by the length of the strut. When I switched I got a deeper cabane and longer strut tubes. It made a nice difference on my plane but I do occasionally wish I had gone longer.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the “standard” is for extended gear? Is there one?

Like Denny said there's no standard. Airframes and Atlee go by a direct 3" extension of the front gear leg tube from 27" to 30" long. Javron does the same but changes the axle angle so the gear sit up more vertically and keep the same track. ACME apparently goes off of the shock strut which is kind of odd but ends up with what's probably more than 3" of extension if judged by the Airframes/Atlee traditional way.

The Javron 6" gear has the same track width as standard
gear. The Airframes 3" gear seams to measure about 6" wider than stock gear. The Javron 6" is a big advantage on skis with their LOW pedistal heights. Even on 6:00x6 tires a Cub with the 'thrustline' and 6" gear will be higher than standard gear on 31" tires. As snow conditions become deep, the extra height and AOA becomes a big advantage on Cubs on skis.
Fly safe
E

Does anyone have the weight of the best shock Tk-1 builds and the best shock ACME builds for the Super Cub. I would look at the weight penalty between the two. I don't like the looks of the bolt in axle but if it works then maybe there is no issue.

I am an AMCE fan, love the shocks. Hands down I have never had anything make so much difference in a landing rough spot. You can let air out of 35" tires to make difference but with ACME you can leave the air in the tire and it makes less rolling distance for take off. No maintenance from what I have seen so far. I like the looks of ACME better than TK-1. Not sure if there is a speed penalty with TK-1 but they look dirty. I would love to compare between the two but am not going to go buy a set of TK-1 to do it.

So nobody on this site has Acme LANDING GEAR? I was hoping for some info. I think they were working on some spare fuel tanks that snapped onto the gear. I’d like to see an example, if it really happened.

Not shocks. Landing gear.

Maybe someone should define "landing gear". To me it means everything that is attached to the fuselage to enable the aircraft to work on the ground. That would include wheels, tires, gear legs, shock struts, and the cabane.

If people want to talk only about the gear leg and axle assembly maybe they should make that more clear. What is this part called in Piper's documentation?

The original post was specific. I have TK-1 gear and I’m curious about Acme, so I hope somebody with Acme gear responds. I’m particularly interested in how Acme axles are bolted in. The shock thing has been debated plenty in other threads.

The axles are a bolt on in the production versions that I saw at the Airmen's show this spring. Pretty ingenious if you ask me. Allows you to switch from 1.25" to 1.5" axles quickly and cheaply. Also allows weird things like the Beringer tapered axles if you're using their wheels and brakes. If it works for a Cessna it'll work for a Cub.

The original post was specific. I have TK-1 gear and I’m curious about Acme, so I hope somebody with Acme gear responds. I’m particularly interested in how Acme axles are bolted in. The shock thing has been debated plenty in other threads.

I hope to receive my Acme 9x3", V cabane and Pro Series before new year.

Here is a pics I found on internet:

241717769_4405991489438140_290039305833437937_n.jpg

Attachments

• 241717769_4405991489438140_290039305833437937_n.jpg
    241717769_4405991489438140_290039305833437937_n.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 772
It looks like the axle and torque plate will share bolts. Clever. 9” gear and 35s will provide some serious AOA but it’ll be great for skis. Once I put 850s on for skis I wished I’d gone taller than 6”.

My TK axle bolts may work out nicely for adding bolt-on Trick Air ski fittings. Happy coincidence.

Back