Thread: Garmin 796 wiring pinout

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin 796 wiring pinout

I would like to wire a GPS feed from a 796 to a uavionix AV-30-C. The AV-30 requires a RS232 connection which the Garmin provides. A bare wire cradle is available from Garmin and the wiring looks like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	663E1933-4C5E-439C-8C2F-38E56B7EB472.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	58686

The orange or blue whites both provide a RS232 Out.

However I happen to have a spare standard type cradle and am wondering if the wiring is the same? If I can simply clip the end off and hard wire the power and ground wires and tie into the orange wire for GPS Out?

Name:	3426A067-632B-4201-8570-6BE77DF82056.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	58687

This what the wiring looks like in that cradle. What makes me wonder is the absence of a blue wire. I’m hoping someone here will have a solid answer? Thanks.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    Never seen data lines in a cable with the cigarette lighter plug. Only power and ground.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Thanks spinner2 thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan

I kind of went down this road myself. It was much easier to use the bare wire harness from Garmin and their wiring diagram, than trying to figure out the harness that comes with the unit. I’m pretty sure there is a 232 wire there, because mine is connected to my radio so that all I have to do is push a button on the GPS and it transfers the frequency from the 796 to my radio. I am certainly not an expert on wiring, that’s for darn sure, but it seems like if you can do that, there’s probably a way to do what you want.

Bill
    Very Blessed. "It's not an obsession, it's a passion"

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked into this when I wired in a connection to the ELT. The mount with the 12v plug does not have the RS232 output I had to buy the Bare wire mount like Bill did.
    DENNY
    Thanks Bill Rusk, spinner2 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I did this on a Aera 660 and there was a bit to it as the color codes aren't a match and as you noted the blue wire which is a com port wire is missing. In the case of the 660 the adapter had 6 wires that feed the cradle none of which fed the com ports. I assume you have an audio jack on that extra harness? I did and I cut it far enough above the jack so I could determine which fed the audio jack and how they were color coded. I then was able move one of the wires over to the com port wires at the terminal. Here is a picture of the 660 terminal before I rearranged it to pick up one of the com ports.

Name:	garmin660.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	58697

Then I went back side of the 660, determined which output pins fed both com ports. In the case of the 660 pictured above, Serial port 1 was pin 4. Serial port 2 was pin 6 on the twelve connector above. Pin 1 on that connector starts on the unpopulated side of the connector by my finger. I then rearranged the wires on the right to pic up serial 1.

Who knows if this helps at all but in may give a clue to any 660 users.

The bare wire kit is not a bad way to either.

Good Luck - Jerry
    Likes spinner2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubflier View Post
    I did this on a Aera 660 and there was a bit to it as the color codes aren't a match and as you noted the blue wire which is a com port wire is missing. In the case of the 660 the adapter had 6 wires that feed the cradle none of which fed the com ports. I assume you have an audio jack on that extra harness? I did and I cut it far enough above the jack so I could determine which fed the audio jack and how they were color coded. I then was able move one of the wires over to the com port wires at the terminal. Here is a picture of the 660 terminal before I rearranged it to pick up one of the com ports.

Name:	garmin660.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	58697

Then I went back side of the 660, determined which output pins fed both com ports. In the case of the 660 pictured above, Serial port 1 was pin 4. Serial port 2 was pin 6 on the twelve connector above. Pin 1 on that connector starts on the unpopulated side of the connector by my finger. I then rearranged the wires on the right to pic up serial 1.

Who knows if this helps at all but in may give a clue to any 660 users.

The bare wire kit is not a bad way to either.

Good Luck - Jerry
    What Jerry says here is; Buy the bare wire cable.

Web
    Likes cubflier liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Us poor folk can't afford the easy way out. I used that damn adapter. Only took a couple days to figure out.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Well my shop rate is $85/hr and the bare wire cable is $62 at Spruce.

In all seriousness, get the bare wire cable if you need to connect data lines, as it's faster/easier to install. I usually install it on new stuff because I can connect it to the main bus with a breaker and not have to install or use a lighter socket. Also, there are two separate channels of data available on a 795/796 unit. Use one for the 406mhz ELT you should be running, and still have another for your other avionics.

Web
    Likes spinner2, Bill Rusk, JeffP, jrussl, DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow up:

I bought a bare wire cradle and for anyone who may want to do something similar I took two pictures of the associated pins for the two data out wires.

Name:	652E13A6-8B6B-43A4-810E-03311153285A.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	58807

The orange wire has continuity with this pin.

Name:	D728C910-D16A-44B6-B655-25103A8D1B3C.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	58808

The blue wire with this pin.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Thanks Bill Rusk, cubflier, Steve Pierce thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY liked this post