Thread: 100LL banned at CA county airport

Post Thanks / Like

100LL banned at CA county airport

https://youtu.be/yhLLhWPURQA

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers…

Post Thanks / Like
    Ban was probably lobbied for by the UL 94 company. Funny to see AOPA in outrage mode, how many articles have they written supporting 100LL alternatives and agreeing with the agenda that something must be done with a 100LL alternative. You go along with evil notions(environmentalism uber alles) and you get evil results. I'm sure AOPA will continue to stoke fear and fundraise while helping everything burn to the ground.
    Thanks bubb2 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The sooner we get the lead out, the sooner we'll have longer lasting exhaust valves and exhaust guides. Most of us would be just fine on the unleaded alternative fuels and would significantly reduce engine maintenance. We have been tolerating accelerated exhaust valve and guide wear along with sticky valves for the last 40 years while the FAA has willfully dragged their feet "Searching" for the magical 100LL "Drop In Replacement". The sooner we change over to unleaded fuels the better. Swift, UL94, or the GAMA 100, or premium Mogas without the alcohol and "engine cleaning" solvents that disolve fuel systems. There are a number of alternatives that work. Had the FAA and/or alphabet soup organizations promoted or assisted rather than dragging their feet, it would have happened years ago. If you want to know what fuels your Lycoming engine can be operated on, check out Lycoming Service Instruction SI1070AB. I assume Continental likely has a similar document, although I haven't looked for it yet.
    Last edited by Cub Builder; 12-12-2021 at 08:20 AM.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Let it go, I've burned over 22,000 gals of mogas over the last 25 years
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes CharlieN, hotrod180, courierguy, DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Let it go, I've burned over 22,000 gals of mogas over the last 25 years
    Glenn, your engines only require a minimum of 73 octane. They'll burn anything.

To Cub Builder's comments .... It does appear there is a lot of foot dragging, especially since when they made the decision to drop 115/145 (green gas) and go to 100LL (blue gas) they just did it with no fanfare and no special approvals (STCs). It seems there were more issues with the low power engines when they just dropped 80 octane forcing everyone to increase their lead consumption.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been running 103 unleaded in road race cars, the fuel has been out there for decades.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process

Post Thanks / Like
    Charlie.... Do you know how an Elephant is made? You start with a Mouse. The FAA is expert with this process.
    N1PA
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Charlie.... Do you know how an Elephant is made? You start with a Mouse. The FAA is expert with this process.
    The mouse died 40 years ago, The industry preventes development.
    Where did Continentals development project with Honda go? It worked but the industry is designed to prevent change.

We need more pressure like the lawsuits at Hanscom field and the actions in California to start getting the point across. Hate to think these situations are a good thing.

It would also be a really good thing if the Chinese would start producing pistons and rings with thinner ring sets and reshape combustion chambers to utilize suitable squish areas and reduce the valve stem diameters since there is no reason for those fat stems that keep jamming up. That with increasing the compression ratio we might finally have far more reliable and longer lasting product.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
    Ban was probably lobbied for by the UL 94 company. Funny to see AOPA in outrage mode, how many articles have they written supporting 100LL alternatives and agreeing with the agenda that something must be done with a 100LL alternative. You go along with evil notions(environmentalism uber alles) and you get evil results. I'm sure AOPA will continue to stoke fear and fundraise while helping everything burn to the ground.
    From what I have seen AOPA has promoted the advancement of lead free, high octane fuel but have not seen any fear mongering on their part.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks FdxLou thanked for this post
    Likes hotrod180, mit greb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The title of this thread is a bit misleading.
    The airport in question did not "ban" 100LL-- they just quit selling it.
    But if enough other airports follow this airport's misguided example,
    100LL will become unavailable in that whole area.
    This is pretty likely IMHO--
    for example, as soon as one town in my area put in a "roundabout" at an intersection,
    instead of a signal light or stop signs,
    all the other towns just had to have one too.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes CWilson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Glenn, your engines only require a minimum of 73 octane. They'll burn anything.

To Cub Builder's comments .... It does appear there is a lot of foot dragging, especially since when they made the decision to drop 115/145 (green gas) and go to 100LL (blue gas) they just did it with no fanfare and no special approvals (STCs). It seems there were more issues with the low power engines when they just dropped 80 octane forcing everyone to increase their lead consumption.
    Pete, 91 efree is good to 9:1

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Got this from my Dad on this video news clip. I was born in San Jose where he was stationed in the Navy.

This whole brouhaha started at Reid-Hillview airport in San Jose. It sits high on a hill overlooking the Santa Clara Valley where we lived. It is a beautiful view. Flew out of there in 64 in a friends 150. Developer’s have coveted that piece of property for years and stoked the locals about how dangerous the airport is hoping to get it closed down. They raised the lead issue years ago as a way to get the airport property. The lead issue then spread to other California airports.
    Development now surrounds the airport. In the 60’s it was pretty much surrounded by undeveloped land.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Out here 100LL is within pennies of regular auto. I have found a mix of roughly 3/4 auto and 1/4 LL seems to reduce exhaust valve seat problems in the little Continentals.

Post Thanks / Like
    And people ask me why I hoard the items I do.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of things California is looking to ban. They started with accountability.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    Likes hotrod180, flagold, Colorado-Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there even a place to buy ethanol free car gas in Alaska?

I had car gas eat up my fuel bladders in the 180 back in the day of it's O-470 days. Thanks but no thanks.