Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 121 to 137 of 137

Thread: PA-11 rebuild

  1. #121

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SE Montana
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have this one laying around. PM me if you're interested.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220807_185935.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	63704
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220807_185943.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	63705

  2. #122
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    22,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot, Super Cub seat fits the PA11.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  3. #123
    gntw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ft. St. John BC Can.
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YJLopes View Post
    I think this thread is about up to date. Sorry I was 5 months behind...

    I'm still trying to find a front seat. I have some drawings so I may just make one. Glass is ordered from LP, probably 4-5 weeks out. I'll probably make a boot cowl and fit all the wing root fairings in the next couple weeks. I have goofy ideas of flying this thing in the next couple of months.

    I need instruments too, anyone have some?
    I have piper oil pressure oil temperature combo gauge and front seat from smith cub and other parts send Tex to cell two 5 zero 2 six 1 one 88 three can send u pictures

  4. #124
    kase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Billings MT
    Posts
    1,622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8906C120-4724-44E4-B7B9-A3F115C23F90.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	63718

    Should be able to find a used PA11 seat. Thereís hundreds of them laying around the country. Guy on barnstormers is selling new ones.

    PA18-95 muffler wonít fit a PA11 with a - 8 or 12 engine. It will hit the firewall because the PA11 engine is a inch closer to it. The PA11 has a completely different cabin air box. Also the PA18 has the tail pipe welded to the muffler. On a PA11 the tail pipe is removable and it has to be otherwise you canít take the left stack/muffler off cause the motor mount doesnít swing out.

    AWI can build you a PA11 exhaust for a -12. Still canít get the screen out very easy so install a oil filter on the left side of engine.
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Aurora. Colorado
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kase View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8906C120-4724-44E4-B7B9-A3F115C23F90.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	63718

    Guy on barnstormers is selling new ones.
    I'm pretty good with google-fu, but this one has eluded me. I searched Barnstormers for PA-11 seat, cub seat, piper seat, and 1/2 dozen other ideas with no luck. Gotta link?

    I finally found a used seat from 1934A above. Its coming so I have something to work with. There just isn't a lot of 11 seats out there that I can find. I'd be interested in chatting with someone about new ones.

    I also am working on a deal on a PA-18 seat just for comparison's sake. Some folks say it sits too high with the spar in the cabin, others have told me they prefer it on longer days in the saddle. I'll report back what I learn.

    The exhaust issue is close to solved I think. I'll know more in the next few days. I have a stock 11 system that I'll modify a bit. I had heard that the 18 engine sat 1" further forward, but the exhaust moved with it rather than sitting further aft, now I'm not sure what to believe. In fact, a few of the exhaust outfits advertise the PA-18 exhaust part number 12232/12233 as a replacement for the -11. I found guy in FL www.planexhaust.com that says he'll build those parts numbers for pretty reasonable money (~$1900) and quick (~5 days). I just hate to roll the dice on something that MIGHT fit.

    In my experience (limited on 4 cylinder continentals), the filter on the LH side is mostly for looks. I've cut them open and found them clean, but the screen had debris. I believe it is just a bypass filter, not full flow. Can anyone confirm that? Better than nothing I suppose, just not sure how much better.

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    nd
    Posts
    3,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    ive heard where guys have tigged a small pocket in the muffler shroud for clearance, never seen it but might be a idea? or rivet it in if you dont have a tig welder.
    Last edited by tempdoug; 11-23-2022 at 03:45 PM.

  7. #127
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    12,346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YJLopes View Post
    I'm pretty good with google-fu, but this one has eluded me. I searched Barnstormers for PA-11 seat, cub seat, piper seat, and 1/2 dozen other ideas with no luck. Gotta link?

    I finally found a used seat from 1934A above. Its coming so I have something to work with. There just isn't a lot of 11 seats out there that I can find. I'd be interested in chatting with someone about new ones.

    I also am working on a deal on a PA-18 seat just for comparison's sake. Some folks say it sits too high with the spar in the cabin, others have told me they prefer it on longer days in the saddle. I'll report back what I learn.

    The exhaust issue is close to solved I think. I'll know more in the next few days. I have a stock 11 system that I'll modify a bit. I had heard that the 18 engine sat 1" further forward, but the exhaust moved with it rather than sitting further aft, now I'm not sure what to believe. In fact, a few of the exhaust outfits advertise the PA-18 exhaust part number 12232/12233 as a replacement for the -11. I found guy in FL www.planexhaust.com that says he'll build those parts numbers for pretty reasonable money (~$1900) and quick (~5 days). I just hate to roll the dice on something that MIGHT fit.

    In my experience (limited on 4 cylinder continentals), the filter on the LH side is mostly for looks. I've cut them open and found them clean, but the screen had debris. I believe it is just a bypass filter, not full flow. Can anyone confirm that? Better than nothing I suppose, just not sure how much better.
    My 11 had a Super Cub seat, installed per the STC. It did indeed put my head pretty close to the spars up above. I'm 5 foot 8, and it didn't bother me much, but then I never hit an immovable object hard with it either. I always thought if you could cut down the legs on a SC seat.....I know, I know. I liked sitting that high for visibility, but that's a pretty serious headache bar up top. Ideally, if in big rebuild, logic would suggest changing to a SC top deck. BIG job, however.

    MTV

  8. #128
    BC12D-4-85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK.
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YJLopes View Post
    ....In my experience (limited on 4 cylinder continentals), the filter on the LH side is mostly for looks. I've cut them open and found them clean, but the screen had debris. I believe it is just a bypass filter, not full flow. Can anyone confirm that? Better than nothing I suppose, just not sure how much better.
    The pressure screen is supposed to be removed when the Tempest/F&M TAF-L spin-on adapter is installed. My C-85's wasn't and the A&P and I decided to remove the spin on unit and keep the factory screen. The screen is first in line after the oil pump and the filter second.

    Gary
    Likes Steve Pierce, wireweinie liked this post

  9. #129
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    22,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    The pressure screen is supposed to be removed when the Tempest/F&M TAF-L spin-on adapter is installed. My C-85's wasn't and the A&P and I decided to remove the spin on unit and keep the factory screen. The screen is first in line after the oil pump and the filter second.

    Gary
    Yep, what Gary said. There have been engines ruined because the mechanic installing the oil filter adapter didn't remove the screen and subsequently no one checked the screen, it clogged up with carbon etc and shut off the oil supply. For clarity the original STC allowed you to leave the screen in if you wanted but they did not foresee the afore mentioned happening and thus changed it when Tempest bought the STC from F&M.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes BC12D-4-85, jrussl liked this post

  10. #130
    kase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Billings MT
    Posts
    1,622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look under Piper parts in barnstormers for seat.

  11. #131

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Aurora. Colorado
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    The pressure screen is supposed to be removed when the Tempest/F&M TAF-L spin-on adapter is installed. My C-85's wasn't and the A&P and I decided to remove the spin on unit and keep the factory screen. The screen is first in line after the oil pump and the filter second.

    Gary
    Still have that adapter around? Want to sell it?

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Aurora. Colorado
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Yep, what Gary said. There have been engines ruined because the mechanic installing the oil filter adapter didn't remove the screen and subsequently no one checked the screen, it clogged up with carbon etc and shut off the oil supply. For clarity the original STC allowed you to leave the screen in if you wanted but they did not foresee the afore mentioned happening and thus changed it when Tempest bought the STC from F&M.
    I got in to the OH manual last night and it turns out what I heard or assumed was all wrong. Thanks for steering me down the right path. Maybe the oil filter will solve a few problems all at once for me.

  13. #133
    hotrod180's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA
    Posts
    3,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YJLopes View Post
    ..... In fact, a few of the exhaust outfits advertise the PA-18 exhaust part number 12232/12233 as a replacement for the -11. I found guy in FL www.planexhaust.com that says he'll build those parts numbers for pretty reasonable money (~$1900) and quick (~5 days).......
    If you can figure out just which parts you need, you might check with these guys.
    Nice exhaust work at reasonable prices.

    Custom Aircraft Parts
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

  14. #134
    BC12D-4-85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK.
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YJLopes View Post
    Still have that adapter around? Want to sell it?
    I ended up giving it to the A&P that helped me with an oil pressure issue in exchange for his time. He has a J-3 in restoration and could use it. My oil pressure lag of indication at the gauge was a due to a 1941 oil line from the engine that had become almost plugged. A quick shot of brake cleaner fixed that. Best luck with your restoration. I really liked my PA-11 but wife refused to share the seating with the dog.

    Gary

  15. #135
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    12,528
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    If you can figure out just which parts you need, you might check with these guys.
    Nice exhaust work at reasonable prices.

    Custom Aircraft Parts
    I'll second their quality workmanship and service.
    N1PA

  16. #136

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully less than 850 lbs. Mine is 818 empty with oil and no fuel.

  17. #137

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Aurora. Colorado
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab0ngcd View Post
    Hopefully less than 850 lbs. Mine is 818 empty with oil and no fuel.
    I'm hoping for close to 800, but I'm realistic.

Similar Threads

  1. My cub rebuild...
    By WanaBNACub in forum Member Projects in Progress
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: 11-12-2017, 09:09 PM
  2. PA-18-1 rebuild
    By JPachl in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 08:55 PM
  3. 337's for PA-12 Rebuild
    By Utah 12 Driver in forum Member to Member
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •