• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Source for 4130 tube in Canada?

mike gittens

I'm looking for an alternative source for 4130 tubing in Canada, Aircraft Spruce is getting expensive. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!

Have you tried your local steel supplier? If you buy enough, oftentimes they'll be cheaper than the usual mail-order sources.

Check emjmetals.com , I used them here in the US and I see that they are also in Canada. They only sold tubing in full lengths .
DW

The local suppliers don't have a source and the closest EMJ is in Toronto, I'm in Nova Scotia. Shipping seems to be more expensive than tubing at the moment, thanks for the input and the search continues.

I've bought some from stockcarsteel.com, they have a huge selection with competitive prices last time i checked. They might be worth a try.

I don't know if this helps but ,EMJ handles all kinds of medals and made regular deliveries to a manufacture in my town and I was able to piggy back on with them.
dw

Hi Mike,
I don’t know where or who you’ve checked with but there are a bunch of steel/tubing suppliers in the Detroit area.
I realize that’s not Canada and it’s quite a ways from Nova Scotia but it’s closer than many.
Another suggestion I have is to talk to Jay DeRosier at Javron in Brainerd MN, he buys in large quantities I’m certain and he’s s good guy that has always been extremely helpful and willing to supply knowledge when asked. He’s sometimes a little tough to nail down as he’s a busy busy guy but messages work and he will make contact. He may have a suggestion or two for you on suppliers.
I’ve done business with Factory Steel in Detroit, couple others are Boyer Steel and Metal Mart, also in the Detroit area. You’ll have to ask the questions and figure out their suitability for your needs of course.
One more thing about tubing prices….over the years we’ve all watched prices go up and no one likes it but from the point of view of someone having an airframe repair made by someone they’ve hired to do the work…
The overall cost of the repair being “X”, the majority of that is by far and away the labor to do the job. I was always mindful about what the tubing cost when I was still in the business of providing those services but even when doing a big job it still continued to surprise me that the tubing itself was “cheap” compared to the labor, typically somewhere between 5 and 10% is what it always seemed to come out to be. I guess what I’m saying is yes, tubing costs money, it’s certainly isn’t cheap but in the grand scheme, compared to the overall value of the repair, it isn’t too horrible.
I have no knowledge of what it costs to ship stuff to Nova Scotia but I do know you’re pretty remote. I do have a real good handle on shipping to Alaska and the shipping costs can be awful depending on method. It’s always a fight it seems.
Good luck and enjoy the welding. I always have!

Mike “Oz” Osborne
Fairbanks, Alaska

Back