• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Camping Items to Include on List for Santa?

When they DryVit (or stucco, whatever it's called, the plaster type stuff they use on buildings nowadays, over Styrofoam insulation) they first lay down a layer of textured Tyvek. It's waterproof, super light, and very tough, and the bit of texture it has makes it non slippery. I've been using a 10'x10' piece I scrounged out of a dumpster for a ground cloth for years now. Similar to the building wrap they use over wood framing but tougher and has texture. Free....

I've had a one piece Tyvek suit and boots in my gear for years: https://www.dupont.com/safespec/tyvek/featured-products.corebrand$$TYVEK.html

It's just another layer if caught out unexpectedly in weather or bugs. Takes little space and weighs almost nothing. Bought at an industrial supply store that caters to workers needing protection from chems or paint, etc.

Gary

One of the things I noticed hasn’t been mentioned here to date is Sleeping Bags.

a year or so back, friends from the Midwest were planning a visit to Schafer Meadows in MT. They called and asked for recommendations. Number one on my list was REALLY warm sleeping bags. They kinda thought that was a joke, but I told them to bring cold weather bags. After their visit, they agreed.

I always carry at least one cold weather bag and a lighter one. Or a bivy to go inside a lighter bag. But I promise you, if your spouse has a cold sleeping experience, that’ll be the end of camping as you know it. You can always use a heavier bag or a bivy in warm weather.

Go to a high quality distributor and buy the best, you won’t regret it. The sleeping bag and tent are the foundations of comfortable camping. Everything else is details.

MTV

Bivy INSIDE the bag? Would that be a bag liner? I use bag liners for all seasons mostly to keep my sleeping bags cleaner. For a bivy? I've had a few but Hilleberg's Bivanorak is far and away the best I've used. Great for survival gear, too. You can walk in it, it has arms for making coffee before you're ready to climb out of the sack, etc.
https://hilleberg.com/eng/shelters/bivanorak/

Leatherman
compass
signal mirror
Blastmatch
lightweight tarp
ax
folding shovel
machette
jetboil
quality duffle(s)
pot & pan set (titanium)
quality airmatress
rain gear (pants and jacket)
lantern
survival vest
headset
InReach
PLB device
water purification system
life straw
tools and/or build up a tool kit

Just a few items

Bill

Pretty good list, Bill!

Looking for an improvement on my sleeping pad. Currently using an Exped that slides into a slot in my Big Agness bag. It’s about 10 years old. I’m over 50 now and want something that’s a little thicker and more comfortable. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Proving again that Lyn is the best ever, she handed me a box a couple days ago and said "Merry Christmas"!

Yup, a month early, but in the box was a pair of Kennatrex boots. She wanted me to have them to wear now, as I am having shoe and boot issues.

Seriously, the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. Been on my feet the last couple days in the shop, boots on, climbing up and down off the concrete floor and moving sleds to catch up on repairs. My feet did not hurt all day!

So that is an addition to the list: Good boots! And Kennatrex are incredible.

Exped Megamat. As I get older, my pad gets thicker. A good cot helps, as well.
Looking for an improvement on my sleeping pad. Currently using an Exped that slides into a slot in my Big Agness bag. It’s about 10 years old. I’m over 50 now and want something that’s a little thicker and more comfortable. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I’ve got a luxury lite cot around here somewhere that I should dig out and try again. I only used it a few times on motorcycle trips I took close to 10 years ago. I roll around a lot so I’d love something wider.

The megamat is on my radar. As well as the mondoking from thermarest. Hoping stock rebounds at my local rei as I’d love to see them in person before purchasing. Stock of sleeping pads was extremely low the last time I was there. They do have a great return policy though so hmmmm…

How is the megamat when it comes time to put it back in the bag?

Alaska Tangle, are Kennatrex boots permissible with a kilt? Is there a sheath for your sgian dubh knife? Is that legal in Alaska?

Thanks. cubscout

I’ve got a luxury lite cot around here somewhere that I should dig out and try again. I only used it a few times on motorcycle trips I took close to 10 years ago. I roll around a lot so I’d love something wider.

The megamat is on my radar. As well as the mondoking from thermarest. Hoping stock rebounds at my local rei as I’d love to see them in person before purchasing. Stock of sleeping pads was extremely low the last time I was there. They do have a great return policy though so hmmmm…

How is the megamat when it comes time to put it back in the bag?

You need to try the Big Agnes bag attached to the sleeping pad program.

Tim

Alaska Tangle, are Kennatrex boots permissible with a kilt? Is there a sheath for your sgian dubh knife? Is that legal in Alaska?

Thanks. cubscout

Kennatrex lace high, so they seem a good substitute for the Gillies, and a kilt will go with anything!

As far as the sgian dubh, I can find a place to put it, seems I always need one to cut an apple or steak:lol::lol:

And sleeping bags: Wiggys. Warm when wet. I carry a -something most of the year, and then the outer bag in deep winter with it for -really cold.

Their bags are rated for comfort, not 'survival'. Spent a few nights out in 'zero' bags, and at 20 was freezing my delicates off. No sleep when you are freezing.

I have been in the Wiggys bag soaking to the skin and went to sleep. Frost on the outside of the bag in the morning, but I am warm and dry!

https://www.wiggys.com/sleeping-bags/

My Ultima Tule bag is 15 years or so old now and still as warm as it was when new.

I carry the two bag system from Wiggy's. I spoke to Wiggy a couple of weeks ago and he remains a total character! Great bag system, very warm.

I also use the Big Agnes sleeping bag system in which a pocket is sewed onto the bag permitting the inflatable sleeping pad to be inserted. It takes away the times when you wake up at night only to find that you have slid off the pad! Bought one for Julie, too, so that they can be mated, so to speak, and I'm tellin' ya we don't get cold!

Randy

Bad back and shoulders, been sleeping on these for 10+ years. Comes twin, full and queen. Adjust air to firm or sink into and sleep great

IMG_0270.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-10...e4A2z7fIKZQMRmCQQxQaAplOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Glenn

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 100
I carry the two bag system from Wiggy's. I spoke to Wiggy a couple of weeks ago and he remains a total character! Great bag system, very warm.

I also use the Big Agnes sleeping bag system in which a pocket is sewed onto the bag permitting the inflatable sleeping pad to be inserted. It takes away the times when you wake up at night only to find that you have slid off the pad! Bought one for Julie, too, so that they can be mated, so to speak, and I'm tellin' ya we don't get cold!

Randy

The two bag "system", of any brand of bags, rocks.....so much more versatile than a single bag, of any weight. Might be 60, or it might be in the teens, no problemo.

I received the tent poles from Big Agnes and it cost me about $50 with repair/replacement costs and shipping. They look good and I can't tell if they are repaired or new.

Jake Hayes (C130jake) has an acquaintance, shall we say, that owns a tent repair shop in St. Paul. She points out that most of the big name tent/camping gear companies have the policy of not replacing damaged products, but rather suggest you purchase a new item or send it in for "repairs". The latter is most often a replacement. This is frustrating for her in that these companies promote good stewardship of our natural resources, yet don't emphasize actually repairing the item in question.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have put a few on my list to Santa, and will await judgement regarding the good vs bad classification...

Merry Christmas to you all!

Randy

Got a good chuckle today... Top of the list of discussion items was this thread, second line was "four Place Super Cub". Yup, a 4 place would make a mighty good Christmas present.:p:lol:

I think Farmboy might have gotten Christmas the other day... a big box of lots of aircraft parts! Now he just needs time and knowledge to figure out where those attach together:wink:

This was useful to me in my day: Cameron's Mini Smoker - you can use a couple cans of Sterno, coals, your alcohol stove, on and on for heat. Smoke - use one of those mini loaf pans to bake meat or bread - all kinds of stuff I did with that. Takes almost no room at all.

CMS-camerons-products-mini-stovetop-smoker.jpg

Attachments

• CMS-camerons-products-mini-stovetop-smoker.jpg
    CMS-camerons-products-mini-stovetop-smoker.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 101
Back