Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camping Items to Include on List for Santa?

Post Thanks / Like
    Alaska Tangle, are Kennatrex boots permissible with a kilt? Is there a sheath for your sgian dubh knife? Is that legal in Alaska?

Thanks. cubscout

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingde View Post
    I’ve got a luxury lite cot around here somewhere that I should dig out and try again. I only used it a few times on motorcycle trips I took close to 10 years ago. I roll around a lot so I’d love something wider.

The megamat is on my radar. As well as the mondoking from thermarest. Hoping stock rebounds at my local rei as I’d love to see them in person before purchasing. Stock of sleeping pads was extremely low the last time I was there. They do have a great return policy though so hmmmm…

How is the megamat when it comes time to put it back in the bag?
    You need to try the Big Agnes bag attached to the sleeping pad program.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubscout View Post
    Alaska Tangle, are Kennatrex boots permissible with a kilt? Is there a sheath for your sgian dubh knife? Is that legal in Alaska?

Thanks. cubscout
    Kennatrex lace high, so they seem a good substitute for the Gillies, and a kilt will go with anything!

As far as the sgian dubh, I can find a place to put it, seems I always need one to cut an apple or steak

And sleeping bags: Wiggys. Warm when wet. I carry a -something most of the year, and then the outer bag in deep winter with it for -really cold.

Their bags are rated for comfort, not 'survival'. Spent a few nights out in 'zero' bags, and at 20 was freezing my delicates off. No sleep when you are freezing.

I have been in the Wiggys bag soaking to the skin and went to sleep. Frost on the outside of the bag in the morning, but I am warm and dry!

https://www.wiggys.com/sleeping-bags/

My Ultima Tule bag is 15 years or so old now and still as warm as it was when new.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingde View Post

How is the megamat when it comes time to put it back in the bag?
    I have not had an issue what so ever getting it in the bag. I roll around in my sleep a lot as well.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I carry the two bag system from Wiggy's. I spoke to Wiggy a couple of weeks ago and he remains a total character! Great bag system, very warm.

I also use the Big Agnes sleeping bag system in which a pocket is sewed onto the bag permitting the inflatable sleeping pad to be inserted. It takes away the times when you wake up at night only to find that you have slid off the pad! Bought one for Julie, too, so that they can be mated, so to speak, and I'm tellin' ya we don't get cold!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    "mated". I'm tellin' ya we don't get cold!

Randy[/QUOTE]

More information than we need there Dr. Randy
    Thanks cubdriver2 thanked for this post
    Likes cubdriver2, jrussl, SJ, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by behindpropellers View Post
    You need to try the Big Agnes bag attached to the sleeping pad program.

Tim
    I am using a pad in the sleeve of my BA bag if that’s what you are saying. Works well. Just want something thicker than what I’m using currently.
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bad back and shoulders, been sleeping on these for 10+ years. Comes twin, full and queen. Adjust air to firm or sink into and sleep great

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211129-201917.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	58529

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-10-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WindOnHisNose View Post
    I carry the two bag system from Wiggy's. I spoke to Wiggy a couple of weeks ago and he remains a total character! Great bag system, very warm.

I also use the Big Agnes sleeping bag system in which a pocket is sewed onto the bag permitting the inflatable sleeping pad to be inserted. It takes away the times when you wake up at night only to find that you have slid off the pad! Bought one for Julie, too, so that they can be mated, so to speak, and I'm tellin' ya we don't get cold!

Randy
    The two bag "system", of any brand of bags, rocks.....so much more versatile than a single bag, of any weight. Might be 60, or it might be in the teens, no problemo.
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I received the tent poles from Big Agnes and it cost me about $50 with repair/replacement costs and shipping. They look good and I can't tell if they are repaired or new.

Jake Hayes (C130jake) has an acquaintance, shall we say, that owns a tent repair shop in St. Paul. She points out that most of the big name tent/camping gear companies have the policy of not replacing damaged products, but rather suggest you purchase a new item or send it in for "repairs". The latter is most often a replacement. This is frustrating for her in that these companies promote good stewardship of our natural resources, yet don't emphasize actually repairing the item in question.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have put a few on my list to Santa, and will await judgement regarding the good vs bad classification...

Merry Christmas to you all!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a good chuckle today... Top of the list of discussion items was this thread, second line was "four Place Super Cub". Yup, a 4 place would make a mighty good Christmas present.

I think Farmboy might have gotten Christmas the other day... a big box of lots of aircraft parts! Now he just needs time and knowledge to figure out where those attach together
    Likes Colorguns liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This was useful to me in my day: Cameron's Mini Smoker - you can use a couple cans of Sterno, coals, your alcohol stove, on and on for heat. Smoke - use one of those mini loaf pans to bake meat or bread - all kinds of stuff I did with that. Takes almost no room at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CMS-camerons-products-mini-stovetop-smoker.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	58723

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes C130jake liked this post