Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	58362
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1DA0D031-038C-44C0-9653-A56F32ACBBE3.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	58363

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, did you buy Joe some Bushwheels for his birthday?
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Delivering them tomorrow. Giving Joe the choice between 31s or 35s. I think 35s on standard gear would be a good combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got to get him a borer too.
    Happy birthday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes KevinJ, nightflyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    More happy years to come, Joe! Happy birthday

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy birthday Joe. Please delete that voice mail, I don't need that getting out. I don't have time for a singing career.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys. I just want to know how I got here! Poof! and it happened! Just doesn’t seem like sixty years have passed since I was taking my first flying lessons at Russell Field in Fort Worth. My instructor was C. O. Williams, a veteran of the Army Flying Corps in WW1. Started in a Luscombe 8E, I don’t think there was a tricycle gear on the field. Treasure my first log book—he listed my takeoff and landings as “Hit and Git’s”. Every single landing he would have me come to a full stop on runway, slowly unbuckle and climb out, walking around the plane and then climbing back in and then off we’d go again. Guess that’s why he was a survivor. Had another instructor later on and I asked him how he approached flying with students. Never forgot his answer: “every time I strap in I tell myself, ‘this SOB is gonna try to kill me and I’m not going to let him”! Later on when I had acquired somewhat over 300 hours and thought of myself as a hotshot, immortal pilot I stupidly crashed my beautiful 170B right after landing on our ranch. Literally tore the plane to pieces—wings, landing gear, doors, glass, everything was wadded up to fit into a trash bin. I think before the plane came to a stop I was out of the plane and running away—I might die but I wasn’t going to burn to death! Right there I learned these damn machines will kill you very quickly! Best lesson I ever had, I believe the Lord was teaching me about mortality. Never have forgotten that.

My first owned airplanes were J-3’s. My first was a 1946 with a 65 Continental I paid $700 for and it took another $700 to get in flying condition. My wife was furious with me cause that was money we didn’t have then. Sold it after a few years and after a sabbatical of several years I acquired a doggy 1939 J-3. Places I landed that old cub just amaze me today when I fly over them. Standard equipment was a small axe and a roll of duck tape. Often had to hack me a runway to get out. As the years went by business travel needs moved me into Beech Bonanzas—first a 1960 M model and later on a fully equipped 1978 V35. Flew those 17 years then when I was nearing retirement sold it. My wife was thrilled I had survived and it was over. Little did she know I would lay in bed at night and remember every nut and screw in the old cubs. I wanted to go back to where it all began. And then in 1997, after having looked at so much junk for sale, a ranch customer of mine mentioned he had the best 1979 Supercub in the country in his large hanger sharing space with his King Air and Bell Jet Ranger and wasn’t using it any more. The cub was in perfect, factory original condition with only 390 TT. Had spent its whole life in dry Texas and always hangared. I was hooked and was soon back in my beloved cubs heading back to Amarillo. Hard to believe that’s now 24 years ago and in between Steve Pierce gave it a full restoration that is beautiful (and expensive)! The rest is history and though I no longer push it past reason I do fly it as it should be and occasionally find a flat dry creek in a canyon to enjoy.

I hope all of y’all are as fortunate as I have been—except please don’t wad a plane up just for the experience. Ain’t worth it.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 11-20-2021 at 03:21 PM.