• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help: J3 w&b / wing loading profile

" My other question is given the max wt of these planes how does anyone go about flying two adults and decent amount of fuel, especially if you add floats? "

Cold and windy out so I will start $hit storm early. The answer is simple they fly overweight. Happens a lot in small aircraft especially in small training aircraft.
DENNY

That MAY work, right up till it doesn’t. I could introduce you to a well known, long time CFI/DPE who lost all their certificates for conducting a check ride in a Cub that was clearly in excess of legal GW.

And that’s the problem: A CFI or DPE puts their signature in the students logbook, or in the FAA’s IACRA system…..which is no longer in the CFI’s control. If ANYthing draws the FAA’s attention to that pilot…..all is fair game.

In a training environment, the CFI may or may not have control over who the DPE is. When I was doing SES ratings, both the DPEs in that district insisted on demonstrated legal W/B. It’s one of the reasons I sold my SC and bought a C-170.

And, if you’ve ever met Brown’s Examiner, you’d roll your eyes even more. I think
Jon has sold the business now, however.

MTV

Last edited:
The real problem is insurance. Losing all your certificates is painful, having your insurer say "we're outta here - you were intentionally flying in an unairworthy condition" can be catastrophic.

While Mike is surely correct about that DPE, I suspect they were looking really hard st him for some reason or another. We pay serious attention to W/B at checkride time, especially the 709 kind, and so far the examiners just climb in and go around the pattern. It is almost as if they "know" but don't want to officially know.

If I had a J-3 or PA-11 I'd check wi†h Aqua floats to see if there's a GW up with their 1500's. Same with Baumann 1420 or 1500's for that matter. It would be worth knowing if it applies and to what models/SN's.

Gary

If I had a J-3 or PA-11 I'd check wi†h Aqua floats to see if there's a GW up with their 1500's. Same with Baumann 1420 or 1500's for that matter. It would be worth knowing if it applies and to what models/SN's.

Gary

i think TCDS list a GW increase to 1300 for Aqua (not the 1400 or 1500 they claim over in JB's)

Back