Thread: affordable metal and plastic VGs

Post Thanks / Like

affordable metal and plastic VGs

Hey guys- just wanted to let you know that Landshorter VGs are back Been making and selling these since 2004 and after selling over 2000 sets took a break for a few years, but now we're back with really aggressive low pricing (think we're the cheapest on the market for plastic VGs) plus we now offer METAL VGs for the experimental market. Same low-drag-high-performance shape but in a highly corrosion resistant aluminum alloy that folks have been requesting for extra toughness and solvent resistance (gasoline, cleaning agents, etc).

For those that don't know me I'm a long time EAA homebuilder, current DER, A&P, PPSEL, former DAR, etc. All that alphabet soup stuff. So basically I have an aircraft habit

So if you want to improve the performance of your aircraft or just read some fun backcountry flying stories check out my new website.

www.landshorter.net

Thanks and blessings

Joa
    Likes OzAK, Nolan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics would be nice for the new metal ones!
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    Pics would be nice for the new metal ones!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLASTIC VS METAL_1.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	58367

Here you go. As you can see, the metal ones look very similar to the Lexan ones. That's because the plastic VGs I designed in 2004 were based on extensive wind tunnel tests at a top university that minimized the drag for the maximum benefit of energized air.

You can put nearly any tab on your wing at an angle and it will create a vortex but the size, shape, and placement will dictate the drag performance and how cleanly the vortex adheres to the wing. For example, a gent from Australia bought a set from me a number of years ago and tried to copy my plastic VGs but got it wrong on the most important part- the upper back corner. If you round that corner you just add drag without the cleanly shed vortex. His VGs also are too thin and flexible and crack over time with exposure to sun and use.

The shape of both my plastic and metal VGs has been highly optimized which really makes a difference when looking for the most performance possible out of your aircraft.

Hope that helps
    Thanks OzAK thanked for this post
    Likes OzAK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Weight difference between the plastic and metal for a full set of 120?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah-Jay View Post
    Weight difference between the plastic and metal for a full set of 120?
    The weight difference for a full wing kit is about 7 ounces- or less than a cup of water (or similar). Not even a remote consideration when compared to the benefits you get in stall speed and handling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonaero View Post
    The weight difference for a full wing kit is about 7 ounces- or less than a cup of water (or similar). Not even a remote consideration when compared to the benefits you get in stall speed and handling.
    Do you have curved and flat options? Templates?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    Do you have curved and flat options? Templates?
    They all have a very slight curve to them. Most surfaces you'll put them on will be a bit curved so they fit nice but if it's truly a flat surface then the concave portion just gets filled with a tiny amount of glue. That's a better option than having the ends curl up.

And yes, they come with templates and a full manual.

Good questions and thanks for your interest
    Thanks astjp2 thanked for this post
    Likes astjp2, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI I have Joa's Lexan VG's on my Cub for over 10 years now. Never had one break or come off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs66 View Post
    FYI I have Joa's Lexan VG's on my Cub for over 10 years now. Never had one break or come off.
    Thanks for the kind words! Yes, our Lexan ones are pretty tough. They're thick enough to not easily break (can hit them with a hammer, etc) unlike other flimsy ones on the market. Their achilles heel is solvents such as spilling gas on them or cleaning around them with something strong like acetone and they don't really like getting bent in cold weather. Hence the reason we came out with our metal VGs. So now folks have options

BTW back when I was doing the DAR thing I think I did the cert signoff on your neat plane, right? Been a while
    Last edited by harrisonaero; 11-23-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like this forum and have been a member for 10 years so as a reflection of that I'll offer you guys 25% off until the end of the year. Use SUPERCUBDOTORG2021 for the c*upon c*de when you check out. This is good for either our metal or our plastic VGs. Get that performance you deserve for Christmas

Also, if any of you have aircraft businesses and want to set up a commercial account we're doing that right now so hit me up at info@landshorter.net and we'll get you going.

In a nutshell we want to take over the experimental VG market again so are hitting on all cylinders. Any ideas you might have there- we're all ears.
    Last edited by harrisonaero; 11-23-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    Thanks OzAK thanked for this post
    Likes OzAK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Joa

Just put an order in for two sets, one for the flyer and one for the rebuild! Can you recommend what adhesive you use with the metal VGs?

Cheers

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J4A View Post
    Hey Joa

Just put an order in for two sets, one for the flyer and one for the rebuild! Can you recommend what adhesive you use with the metal VGs?

Cheers

Tom
    Thanks Tom!

We've found that the best adhesive is still a gel cyanoacrylate (super glue). Recommendations are in the manual. We'll get you the info you need

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all! I ordered a full set for my build (set of 120 for my wings and 80 for the tail) and Joa has been as good as gold taking care of me, providing info, free shipping, and prompt service. Trifecta of doing business. I got the aluminum VGs and they are top shelf quality. The paperwork provided is excellent with clear instructions, good templates and the engineering behind the VGs. Order with the utmost confidence.

Mike “Oz” Osborne
    Fairbanks
    Last edited by OzAK; 11-27-2021 at 04:36 PM.
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzAK View Post
    Hi all! I ordered a full set for my build (set of 120 for my wings and 80 for the tail) and Joa has been as good as gold taking care of me, providing info, free shipping, and prompt service. Trifecta of doing business. I got the aluminum VGs and they are top shelf quality. The paperwork provided is excellent with clear instructions, good templates and the engineering behind the VGs. Order with the utmost confidence. Mike “Oz” OsborneFairbanks
    Thanks Mike, appreciate the kind words. We aim to please

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the lexan ones on my Avid flyer. I used "plasti zap" when I put them on and it "melted" through the paint and adhered to the fabric, as in, they are / were not coming off without taking fabric with them using the plasti zap over the poly products.

Agree that the templates and instructions were great, I will be ordering a couple sets of the aluminum ones!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a test of sorts when I put the VG's back on Bushwacker last time after rebuild. I used the Loctite® 330™ Depend® Adhesive to attach the Micro Vortex Generators to one wing and a buddy said why not just use gel cyanoacrylate . So on the next wing I tried the Super glue, I found out why you should not. Every time I looked at the top of the wing, with the Super Glued ones it was missing another. I rarely had a problem with the ones that I used the 330 on. I took all the Super Glued ones back off and sanded and glued them back on again with the 330. They seemed to stick good in the beginning but if you just push on them they would pop off. Try that with the Loctite 330 and it won't come off with out taking the paint too. YMMV

Will never put VG's on again with anything other than the 330, it is more work but you can hook them washing the wing and not pull them off. Throw a fuel bag up without knocking two at a time off...

Greg
    Thanks marcusofcotton thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY, siegel185 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauleguy View Post
    I did a test of sorts when I put the VG's back on Bushwacker last time after rebuild. I used the Loctite® 330™ Depend® Adhesive to attach the Micro Vortex Generators to one wing and a buddy said why not just use gel cyanoacrylate . So on the next wing I tried the Super glue, I found out why you should not. Every time I looked at the top of the wing, with the Super Glued ones it was missing another. I rarely had a problem with the ones that I used the 330 on. I took all the Super Glued ones back off and sanded and glued them back on again with the 330. They seemed to stick good in the beginning but if you just push on them they would pop off. Try that with the Loctite 330 and it won't come off with out taking the paint too. YMMV

Will never put VG's on again with anything other than the 330, it is more work but you can hook them washing the wing and not pull them off. Throw a fuel bag up without knocking two at a time off...

Greg
    Thanks Greg, good info. Loctite makes great products.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me Loctite would rip off any topcoat over silver on fabric. I don't recall seeing much bare fabric under the disappeared VG.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be interesting to put some VG's just in front of the ailerons on my 180 & see just what difference they made.
    Kinda like how the Swift & Stinson have slotted outboard leading edges
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^Seal the ailerons like Sportsman Cuff does. VG's need smooth air flow to work. At higher AOA it's turbulent back there.

Gary