• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lighweight Accessory Preferences

mvivion

SPONSOR
Bozeman,MT
What's the current preference for lightweight starters and lightweight alternators for Super Cubs? 160 hp engine, late model Cub.

Asking for a friend.

MTV

My B&C alternator continues to purr along at 1600 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

What's the current preference for lightweight starters and lightweight alternators for Super Cubs? 160 hp engine, late model Cub.

Asking for a friend.

MTV

BTW... Are the title round B&C accessory case alternators approved for standard category now?

I like Sky-Tec starters and B&C or Plane-Power alternators, especially the direct drive stuff. As far as being 'approved' make sure the installation meets the requirements of CAR3 or CAR4 as applicable, then log entry. When CAR3/CAR4 were developed, there were no STC's, PMA's, etc.

Web

I prefer Skytek starters, B&C case mounted alternators, Niagara coolers, and Whirlwind props. No criticism for B&C belt-driven alternators or starters. Have had them, too. They work great. Have a B&C alternator on the Cessna.

Asking for a friend.

MTV

Also, add up the total electrical load for the aircraft systems (actual amps during use, not breaker size). And if you go with LED lighting, you'll be amazed at how small of an alternator you'll need.

Web

I like Sky-Tec starters and B&C or Plane-Power alternators, especially the direct drive stuff. As far as being 'approved' make sure the installation meets the requirements of CAR3 or CAR4 as applicable, then log entry. When CAR3/CAR4 were developed, there were no STC's, PMA's, etc.

Web

Not quite true, every 337 filed before October 1955 was a “field Approval”. The regulations covering alterations and repairs are covered under CAR 18. There was no delineation between major or minor alterations. All 337s were signed by a CAA inspector. That’s why any 337 before October 1955 are considered the same as STCs, they were approved by the CAA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not quite true, every 337 filed before October 1955 was a “field Approval”. The regulations covering alterations and repairs are covered under CAR 18. There was no delineation between major or minor alterations. All 337s were signed by a CAA inspector. That’s why any 337 before October 1955 are considered the same as STCs, they were approved by the CAA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Installing a part that meets the criteria of the certification basis and doesn't fit the definition of 'major' alteration, doesn't require a 337.

Web

I like the SkyTec XLT on the 160 hp Cubs for weight savings, NL on the 180 hp for longevity. Never could justify the price tag on the B&C starter. I know they make great stuff, installed many of their alternators.

I have the same question, but for 180s. Specifically a '55 180 with a field approved O-470R. I hear conflicting stuff about the lightweight starters on bigger bore Contis - is there a consensus?

I think the consensus is to go with the old heavy Energizer starter and the old / classic style starter adapter.
Esp if you are running a lightweight (aka MT) prop.

Back