Thread: But it was that way when I bought it...

Post Thanks / Like

But it was that way when I bought it...

It is getting frustrating when owners/operators tell me that. I am trying to annual their airplane and the fiberglass landing gear is cracked...both landing gear and then the owners says he has been watching it for a while. I would be embarrassed to say that...needless to say I changed the gear legs but WTF you can afford an airplane but don't want to fix it right? I know that each type of airframe has specific idiosyncrasies and there are expert and novice mechanics, so understanding and specializing has its merits and the knowledgeable people on here about all types of aircraft is outstanding. I have been getting indoctrinated on the Rotax 912's, and the more I work on them the more mixed I feel about the good and bad that comes with them compared to a Lycoming or Continental...sorry I just need to vent. Tim
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Pete Schoeninger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    I have been getting indoctrinated on the Rotax 912's, and the more I work on them the more mixed I feel about the good and bad that comes with them compared to a Lycoming or Continental...sorry I just need to vent. Tim
    I would really like to hear more about this

Post Thanks / Like
    They are sufficiently different that you need to go to a school or do some serious study. Even changing the oil is “different.”

Post Thanks / Like
    It is getting frustrating when owners/operators tell me that. I am trying to annual their airplane and the fiberglass landing gear is cracked...both landing gear and then the owners says he has been watching it for a while. I would be embarrassed to say that...needless to say I changed the gear legs but WTF you can afford an airplane but don't want to fix it right? I know that each type of airframe has specific idiosyncrasies and there are expert and novice mechanics, so understanding and specializing has its merits and the knowledgeable people on here about all types of aircraft is outstanding. I have been getting indoctrinated on the Rotax 912's, and the more I work on them the more mixed I feel about the good and bad that comes with them compared to a Lycoming or Continental...sorry I just need to vent. Tim
    Might want to refer the owner to 91.405!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash, Jr. View Post
    I would really like to hear more about this
    I have 35 LSA 912's and 4 certified at my day job...maybe we should start a Things to know about Rotax 912's thread? Still doesn't fix owner attitudes, this guy will basically have a like new airplane, 5 year change out on the hoses and new landing gear, fresh fluids, he did concede to change them but its just frustrating...

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few rotax pics, I seem to repair a lot of mid time jugs, that run 100LL. the oil on the jug came from a cracked copper washer under the bolt for the torque check on the gearbox. The entire top of the engine was covered in oil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCD9E6E8-94D5-4343-9632-2FB865E32AB9.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	58221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A67E780-6609-40C5-91DE-693692EB3A27.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	58222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47442110-94B7-44B8-B51A-D7F87D03D854.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	58223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B94A486D-FA3B-4A5D-BC9A-599F0DED2116.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	58224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BEDFE219-E9D1-47AD-853F-BC89B88E40CF.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	58225  

Likes Charlie Longley, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It is getting frustrating when owners/operators tell me that. I am trying to annual their airplane and the fiberglass landing gear is cracked...both landing gear and then the owners says he has been watching it for a while. I would be embarrassed to say that...needless to say I changed the gear legs but WTF you can afford an airplane but don't want to fix it right?
    I would have told him to sign it off then.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I have gotten better and better at choosing my customers, figuring out who I do and don't want to work for. Learned some valuable lessons over the years that cost me dearly.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few rotax pics, I seem to repair a lot of mid time jugs, that run 100LL. the oil on the jug came from a cracked copper washer under the bolt for the torque check on the gearbox. The entire top of the engine was covered in oil.
    Looking like a leaking intake valve in the lower left photo?
    I own/have owned Lycoming, Continental, and Rotax. They seem to all have their quirks. The Rotax, being that it isn't a century old design, has a learning curve to it that's for sure. Awesome engines when they are running right. Fuel efficient and pretty reliable.

The S-7 I purchased several years ago had been run on 100LL almost exclusively. It used oil at a high rate so I removed the cylinders for replacement with a 'Zipper' kit. The valves, and rings were quiet loaded up with carbon and other grud (lead buildup?). I prefer to run 91 non-oxy, as designed.
    Last edited by WWhunter; 11-04-2021 at 08:48 AM.
    Don't take life too seriously ... no one gets out alive!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've burned a total of 15 gallons of Avgas I'm my Rotax, I n 2900 hours, and....a, fair amount of E10 when no E0 is available on a XC. No issues with any of it, and valves/ plugs look great.
    Likes mixer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    I've burned a total of 15 gallons of Avgas I'm my Rotax, I n 2900 hours, and....a, fair amount of E10 when no E0 is available on a XC. No issues with any of it, and valves/ plugs look great.
    Nice when you can run on what the engine was designed. A gas engine will run (sort of) with a bunch of diesel, but don't put gas in a diesel.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTEA gas engine will run (sort of) with a bunch of diesel, but don't put gas in a diesel.[/QUOTE]
    Most diesels will not even fire on 100% gas in my experience but just a touch of diesel will destroy a aircraft engine in seconds due to extreme detonation. The amount of #2 diesel in the hose of a 2000 gal delivery truck cost the Bulk Distributor a TSIO-520 continental in a Cessna Ag-Husky here years ago and changed the way AVgas is delivered here to dedicated equipment.
    Thanks EdH thanked for this post
    Likes mixer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried running gas in a old Mercedes 190D once (an oopsie at the pumps, not on purpose. Full tank, made it up the onramp before it slowly died. No drama, once reprimed with the proper fuel and the tank drained and filled, it ran normal.
    Likes mixer, OzAK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    Who did your overhaul at 2400?
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post