• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

But it was that way when I bought it...

astjp2

Utah/Alaska
It is getting frustrating when owners/operators tell me that. I am trying to annual their airplane and the fiberglass landing gear is cracked...both landing gear and then the owners says he has been watching it for a while. I would be embarrassed to say that...needless to say I changed the gear legs but WTF you can afford an airplane but don't want to fix it right? I know that each type of airframe has specific idiosyncrasies and there are expert and novice mechanics, so understanding and specializing has its merits and the knowledgeable people on here about all types of aircraft is outstanding. I have been getting indoctrinated on the Rotax 912's, and the more I work on them the more mixed I feel about the good and bad that comes with them compared to a Lycoming or Continental...sorry I just need to vent. Tim

I have been getting indoctrinated on the Rotax 912's, and the more I work on them the more mixed I feel about the good and bad that comes with them compared to a Lycoming or Continental...sorry I just need to vent. Tim

I would really like to hear more about this

They are sufficiently different that you need to go to a school or do some serious study. Even changing the oil is “different.”

It is getting frustrating when owners/operators tell me that. I am trying to annual their airplane and the fiberglass landing gear is cracked...both landing gear and then the owners says he has been watching it for a while. I would be embarrassed to say that...needless to say I changed the gear legs but WTF you can afford an airplane but don't want to fix it right? I know that each type of airframe has specific idiosyncrasies and there are expert and novice mechanics, so understanding and specializing has its merits and the knowledgeable people on here about all types of aircraft is outstanding. I have been getting indoctrinated on the Rotax 912's, and the more I work on them the more mixed I feel about the good and bad that comes with them compared to a Lycoming or Continental...sorry I just need to vent. Tim

Might want to refer the owner to 91.405!

I would really like to hear more about this
I have 35 LSA 912's and 4 certified at my day job...maybe we should start a Things to know about Rotax 912's thread? Still doesn't fix owner attitudes, this guy will basically have a like new airplane, 5 year change out on the hoses and new landing gear, fresh fluids, he did concede to change them but its just frustrating...

Here are a few rotax pics, I seem to repair a lot of mid time jugs, that run 100LL. the oil on the jug came from a cracked copper washer under the bolt for the torque check on the gearbox. The entire top of the engine was covered in oil.

Attachments

• CCD9E6E8-94D5-4343-9632-2FB865E32AB9.jpg
    CCD9E6E8-94D5-4343-9632-2FB865E32AB9.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 3A67E780-6609-40C5-91DE-693692EB3A27.jpg
    3A67E780-6609-40C5-91DE-693692EB3A27.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 98
  • 47442110-94B7-44B8-B51A-D7F87D03D854.jpg
    47442110-94B7-44B8-B51A-D7F87D03D854.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 100
  • B94A486D-FA3B-4A5D-BC9A-599F0DED2116.jpg
    B94A486D-FA3B-4A5D-BC9A-599F0DED2116.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 100
  • BEDFE219-E9D1-47AD-853F-BC89B88E40CF.jpg
    BEDFE219-E9D1-47AD-853F-BC89B88E40CF.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 100
It is getting frustrating when owners/operators tell me that. I am trying to annual their airplane and the fiberglass landing gear is cracked...both landing gear and then the owners says he has been watching it for a while. I would be embarrassed to say that...needless to say I changed the gear legs but WTF you can afford an airplane but don't want to fix it right?
I would have told him to sign it off then.

I have gotten better and better at choosing my customers, figuring out who I do and don't want to work for. Learned some valuable lessons over the years that cost me dearly.

Here are a few rotax pics, I seem to repair a lot of mid time jugs, that run 100LL. the oil on the jug came from a cracked copper washer under the bolt for the torque check on the gearbox. The entire top of the engine was covered in oil.

Looking like a leaking intake valve in the lower left photo?
I own/have owned Lycoming, Continental, and Rotax. They seem to all have their quirks. The Rotax, being that it isn't a century old design, has a learning curve to it that's for sure. Awesome engines when they are running right. Fuel efficient and pretty reliable.

The S-7 I purchased several years ago had been run on 100LL almost exclusively. It used oil at a high rate so I removed the cylinders for replacement with a 'Zipper' kit. The valves, and rings were quiet loaded up with carbon and other grud (lead buildup?). I prefer to run 91 non-oxy, as designed.

Last edited:
I've burned a total of 15 gallons of Avgas I'm my Rotax, I n 2900 hours, and....a, fair amount of E10 when no E0 is available on a XC. No issues with any of it, and valves/ plugs look great.

I've burned a total of 15 gallons of Avgas I'm my Rotax, I n 2900 hours, and....a, fair amount of E10 when no E0 is available on a XC. No issues with any of it, and valves/ plugs look great.

Nice when you can run on what the engine was designed. A gas engine will run (sort of) with a bunch of diesel, but don't put gas in a diesel.

[QUOTEA gas engine will run (sort of) with a bunch of diesel, but don't put gas in a diesel.[/QUOTE]
Most diesels will not even fire on 100% gas in my experience but just a touch of diesel will destroy a aircraft engine in seconds due to extreme detonation. The amount of #2 diesel in the hose of a 2000 gal delivery truck cost the Bulk Distributor a TSIO-520 continental in a Cessna Ag-Husky here years ago and changed the way AVgas is delivered here to dedicated equipment.

I tried running gas in a old Mercedes 190D once (an oopsie at the pumps, not on purpose. Full tank, made it up the onramp before it slowly died. No drama, once reprimed with the proper fuel and the tank drained and filled, it ran normal.

Who did your overhaul at 2400?

Back