• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Prebuy to Annual- PDX Area. What to request and what to expect

Cardiff Kook

PATRON
Sisters, OR
What's ballpark cost of a pre-buy to annual in the PDX area? Or in any area for that matter...

How long to get done normally- as far as time from phone call having it actually happen?

What should I request?

Any recommended names come to mind?

First plane purchase.

I start off with pictures and logbook entries from the last recover and engine overhaul. Inexpensive to look via the internet and if those parts look good look at 337s, AD lists and more detailed high resolution pictures. Takes me a day or less if I have done my homework prior to traveling to the airplane. Problem I have seen is finding a mechanic who knows what they are looking at.

Kinda like the PA12 I posted about last week. Pretty scary money pit to me but offended another member here who thought it was a great airplane. I guess my problem is I know what I know.

What's ballpark cost of a pre-buy to annual in the PDX area? Or in any area for that matter...

How long to get done normally- as far as time from phone call having it actually happen?

What should I request?

Any recommended names come to mind?

First plane purchase.

Varies wildly!

My first annual in Troudale, OR cost me over $4000, and nothing was wrong with the plane!

My last few annuals cost less than $500 because I found a great mechanic that takes his time and loves passing off his knowledge.

I’d say that timeline for completion is going to vary wildly also. Everyone I know is pretty booked right now, but would more than likely be happy to put you on the schedule.

If I were you I’d give Aeromaintenance at Pearson Airfield a call. I always enjoy getting parts from them and random stuff fixed.

Good luck! I’m doing my first plane sale shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Overall aircraft in scappoose. They have done lots of tube and fabric as evergreen restoration. Jeff passed last summer, but Mark is still there.
They seem reasonable both cost wise and quality of work….to me that can be a difficult combination to find.
I’m not a big fan of Bill Gough.

Be ready to spend some money 500-800 on the pre-buy and then walk away!!! That is why you are having it done! I looked for six months looking for my first plane, my IA did not like the first two aircraft he looked at for me and a few others he knew the history of. Don't fall in love with a plane until your IA gives the OK. The best way to spend a lot of money and not fly for a year is buy a plane that may need fabric/motor replaced soon, an engine upgrade can cost an easy 40-50 grand in todays world if you can find the parts. I know I sound kind of negative but I have seen a lot of owners that had been told NOT to buy a plane but did anyway then wanted to blame everyone else when major problems had been found. On the same note don't turn down a plane because the paint is not perfect or does not match wing to wing (a good repair job is what matters). A good IA is worth their weight in gold, find one and follow his/her advice.
DENNY

Back