• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A Vetterman Application to Prevent "Tail Pumping"...and Keep Rear Passenger Warmer

Peter when I need the extra speed to try and keep up I open my rear window a couple inches and pick up 2-3 MPH on the gps so this may be a speed mod or at least on my 11.

Peter when I need the extra speed to try and keep up I open my rear window a couple inches and pick up 2-3 MPH on the gps so this may be a speed mod or at least on my 11.

Who knew that you doing hollow Beech tree hot airflow research would make airplanes faster? Keep up the good work

Glenn

Last edited:
These comments are great…

In our Cub we mounted one of the square Piper “vent’s” backward in the rear window… has the same effect in pulling the warm air from the front to the rear of the cabin…

Brian

Last week I thought dr Randy had a decent suggestion on cabin airflow with this rear facing Naca vent idea
i found one on amazon for 50 bucks. The carbon cub has a small access panel on the belly right under the jackscrew. I gorilla taped it into place for evaluation. I had to run to NH yesterday for parts so it would be a good test. In the cub I have a insulating board between the ext baggage and the cockpit, helps to keep the chill back there. . I had the insulation barrier in place on the way out, and was not impressed at all the heat was adequate, but overpowering. IT was 32 outside at 6.5

Got my stuff at Woodstock and pulled the barrier down. Shortly after takeoff I can smell something hot. Its my new boots that are in front of the heater outlets. I cant put my fingers inside the outlet holes its too hot to let them stay very long. Obviously the "Randy" vent is doing something. I probably should do some before and after measurments, but this mod works. YMMV. will post a pix when I get it to a more permanent install

Jim

Last edited:
Jim, thanks for the report. It hasn't been cold enough here to adequately evaluate the change.

The "Randy vent" isn't mine nor my idea. The credit goes to Larry Vetterman, folks. While I understand that you might be able to get it cheaper on Amazon, I would encourage you to consider purchasing this from Larry. He has made such an impact on general aviation, is quite happy to share his ideas and is always available for questions. I hope you will support him.

Randy

Larry new slogan is "If it Sucks its made by Vetterman" :)

Just kidding, Larry is one of the best guys around and always good for a barrel of laughs too!

Back