Thread: Electric Chain Hoist

Post Thanks / Like

Electric Chain Hoist

So the new hangar should be here in the next few weeks, door and heat and air unit are here. I figure I am only doing this once and want to try and do it right. The old single point manual chain hoist is a pain. I have I beam and want to install a trolley and an electric chain hoist. I mainly use it to service gear, tires and the occasional float work. As I start researching electric chain hoists I am inundated with a lot of information and not sure where to start, size, voltage and anything else I don't know to consider.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211012_132235051.jpg 
Views:	1090 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	58102

Name:	PXL_20211005_200346238.jpg 
Views:	1084 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	58103
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes cubflier, SJ, Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Look on eBay, craigslist, MP, we lift everything on floats at island Bob's ( J3-C180 ) with a half ton 50 year old CM hoist. $200 used. The industrial ones are way... overbuilt
    Just make sure what your powering it with ,110V, 220V or 3 Phase before you buy
    Glenn

Look around, a 3/4 or 1 ton would make you feel better
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 10-25-2021 at 07:48 AM.
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    A neighbor had an electric hoist, it was fun, and useful sometimes when you need to lift with one hand, and steer with the other, but they are a lot more expensive. I wouldn't spend the money, even for a commercial operation.

The trolley system on the other had, is so well worth the money and extra work to install. It just comes in handy all the time. I once worked in a foundry that had a chain hoist on a trolley system that covered the whole building, we used it constantly. I have my chain hoist with a trolley on just the center beam of my hangar, and that is a reasonable compromise for a private hangar.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve

I also looked into this pretty extensively. The cost for something that is only used occasionally pushed me away. In order to get a unit that will allow very very small adjustments, which you need when you’re doing floats, is in the four to $5000 range. The lesser expensive units do not have the micro adjusting ability. I ended up with a chain hoist, and it is probably a little more trouble than having a really high-end electric hoist, but it seems to work pretty well. And it does allow for extremely small adjustments, which makes float install and remove much much easier.

Bill
    Very Blessed. "It's not an obsession, it's a passion"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a beam running the length of my 40' shop, with TWO chain falls on trolleys on it, after starting with one. Lots of lifts benefited from having two independent pulls rather than a single one. Harbor Freight cheapies, 1/2 ton units, my biggest pick being around 1K at most. I've never felt the need for an electric type.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-30 010.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	58104  

Post Thanks / Like
    The electric one works great on floats. I bought 25' of more wire and spiced it into the switch cord. I can stand anywhere under the airplane and run the hoist.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Weight capacity, length of chain, and height of lift are the specs you need to decide on. Do you need the hook to reach the floor? Pretty handy for picking engines up. Will you lift more than 2000#? I found 120v hoists with about 10 fpm for around $1800.00 and much higher if you want to buy a good one. I stayed with my manual hoist and wish for electric every time I use it.
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a hoist rail rated at 3000# with a 4000# trolley installed and use a 3000# (cheap-O) chain hoist. Had the 180 swinging free on it over the weekend while aligning the front end, must have gone up and down with it 20 times.

This morning I started shopping for electric myself... Looking for 3000# two-speed electric.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A wireless remote control would sure be nice but that ups the price a bunch on the units I’ve looked at.
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Food for thought. These are home designed and built just for the cost of the steel. The 220v 3 phase electric hoist was a freeby, just take it away. It is a 2 ton and was no longer being used by the donor. The 3 phase issue was solved with a solid state phase converter from WTTool. https://wttool.com/catalog/advanced_...ase+converters
    An old second hand 3 phase motor can be tied in to improve the electrical performance (optional).
    Since you may do an occasional float install or remove, I suggest a minimum of 2 ton. You may need to lift a 206. At the minimum secure an I or H beam to the bottom of one of your trusses across the hangar. You will appreciate the ability to move the hoist under load, even if just a little. Put the word out, a low priced second hand hoist will show up.

Name:	20211025_111842.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	58106

This one is in my shop. I can pick up and move anything anywhere without calling for a helper. The stub next to the wall enables me to move stuff out into the hangar.

Name:	20211025_112103.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	58105
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve.

I was about to start this exact thread as I'm looking for an electric hoist also. So far the Milwaukee 2 ton and the Advantage A-200 in 110v version is what I'm looking at. Both are 8 fpm. Not sure what other considerations come to mind. Cost and shipping are obvious concerns up here.

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious about the advantage of an electric chain fall vs an electric cable hoist?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using a manual chain hoist for many years. The hanging chain to manipulate the hoist is always in close proximity to the windshield and I know it is only a matter of time. The other thing is the older I get the more my body hurts and I think this will make things easier all the way around.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes jrussl, courierguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have been using a manual chain hoist for many years. The hanging chain to manipulate the hoist is always in close proximity to the windshield and I know it is only a matter of time. The other thing is the older I get the more my body hurts and I think this will make things easier all the way around.
    Absolutely, particularly if you're frequently doing this kind of work by yourself. That chain takes an inordinate amount of attention, and as Steve said, it's a matter of time.

Second, if by yourself, it's a LOT easier to simultaneously manipulate the hoist control and the airplane to keep it from swinging.

I'd go there every time, as opposed to a chain hoist, and I've been a participant in a lot of float installs.

MTV
    Thanks hangarmonkey, Delta Cub thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    All of us with manual hoists know the clatter of the chain against the wing root fairings. And trying to get the chain over the wing to push a plane out is fun, too. All a guy needs to do to eliminate most of the problem is make a sleeve to shroud the chain down to the bottom few feet. Some old fire hose would be perfect. Hang the sleeve from the top. I’ve been meaning to do it but haven’t yet.
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought two Coffman 2T electric chain falls with 20í leads and trolleys some 20 years ago, and they were expensive.

Close to invaluable, and Iíd recommend them again every day of the week.

Oddly the subject came up today at work, and if my gantryís were taller they would be getting set back up for a Maule float change.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve:

I just finished building my hangar and ended up putting in this setup. Itís a Coffing 2T electric hoist. All in I am probably at around 5k. I put in a remote control so that I donít have any wires hanging down to hit airplanes or grab tails when pushing airplanes in. It also has a chain bucket to keep that out of the way. At first I didnít have the electric trolley. I ended up adding it later when the hoist went back for a wiring issue with the remote control. I really like the electric trolley because it keeps the plane from sliding back and forth on the trolley if you need to open the hangar door, or fans are on.

Gregg

Name:	IMG_2362.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	58130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	58129
    Likes jrussl, Steve Pierce, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful hangar!
    Likes Yeti_MN, Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve,

I have a CM Lodestar 1T with a Magnetek Flex radio remote control. It has the fabric chain bucket and is on a fixed point 15' from the hanger door. I wish I had the trolley and electric even better. It works well with cubs so far.

Guy

Name:	CM_Lodestar_1T.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	58134
    Thanks Steve Pierce, Delta Cub thanked for this post
    Likes tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn Yeti that is quite the setup!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingde View Post
    Damn Yeti that is quite the setup!!!
    Yeah, I may have gone a little bonkers on it.
    Likes Flyingde liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Beautiful hangar!
    You need to see it, I want to live there.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I met Yeti/Gregg at the Arkanstol deal. First class guy and neat cub he built.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a Milwaukee 1/5 ton (I think) in my old hangar. Things I want in my next set up:

Chain to reach the floor as Stewart said. Amazing how many times I could floor jack a pallet, or have something low that I wanted to move- with the chain I did not need help.

Control system I can move around the plane with- I had a long cord, just had a pulley up in the roof with a line to pull it out of the way when not used. I want to be able to stand under a wing, or the tail, or the prop and lift, or lower especially on floats.

Electric- Stand on the floor and go up and down while lining up floats

Chain bucket-- protect your plane!

I used to do my float change by myself. I called in help to bleed brakes and hold the tape to square floats. With a manual deal it was a two guy deal and hard on paint.

Bigger is better. Some day a beaver may show up and want to get a gear bolt changed...
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post
    Likes tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put a 12v 4500lb unit in and put mounting eyes in my ceiling. I can move it to different locations by using my stepladder and clipping in the mounting plate I made with a hook…not perfect, but cheap. I can remove/install motors, do float changeovers, service gear etc. all for a few hundred bucks…I just have a 12v battery dedicated for the task. I put laminated 2x12 beams above my wood trusses….they were leftover form boards from pouring my slab. I have a truss every 24” so a 10’ doubled 2x12 spread across 5 trusses can hold up a lot of weight. I have a PA11 and a Tcraft so I’m not lifting extremely heavy planes. Anyways, it’s an option. For a cheap bugger.
    Thanks AKlindy thanked for this post