• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Replacing D-Windows

pcj_5189

Northern MN
Looking at changing out the side glass on my -12 and I pulled the trim around one of my D-Windows to see what I'm dealing with. Looks fairly straightforward but I was wondering what material, if any, is recommended to put around the window as a sealant. Whoever installed the current ones put a black sealant around the inside and outside of the channel that the window sets in. I haven't pulled the windows yet but a pull forward on the window shows that at least it's not permanently stuck in the channel by whatever sealant was placed around it. Looking for tips on the best method of installation.

Also, what are your thoughts on choice of thickness of the plexiglass on the side windows. I didn't have a calipers handy to see what thickness I have installed, but I do have a touch of vibration in the center of the door window.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I didn’t put any adhesive or sealant in the bottom of the D channel, I used clear silicone on the outside surface of the window where it contacts the D frame. I taped it off before running the silicone bead so it looks straight and clean. Still looks good with no issues after five years.

I have owned a J3 for 60 years - parked inside and outside. Flown in the rain on many occasions. All I did was slide .080 acrylic sheet into the D slot - no sealant. Never noticed any problems. There are drain holes in the bottom of the channels.

I use urethane sealant around the D window to seal water out. Urethane sticks to polycarbonate better than silicone.

I use urethane sealant around the D window to seal water out. Urethane sticks to polycarbonate better than silicone.

I just had 1/8" plexiglass delivered to replace the 1/8" that I have currently installed. Steve, do you have a name for the product you recommend for sealant or should I just find a urethane sealant for putting around the edges of the windows?

Thanks!

I have gotten it from LP Aero Plastics and the local hardware store.
PXL_20211030_213753610.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211030_213753610.jpg
    PXL_20211030_213753610.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 75
Back