Thread: 3-5 day guided fly-out Alaska fishing trip wanted

Post Thanks / Like

3-5 day guided fly-out Alaska fishing trip wanted

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this, but:

I have some family from Texas that wants to do a "primitive" fly-out fishing trip with no lodge, they want to camp with a guide. They have a specific request to fly in a Beaver but I'm guessing an Otter would be OK too.

It's 3-4 experienced lower 48 fisherman, they did not seem to care about what type of fish although King Salmon and Trout were mentioned, Late 50's-early 60's businessmen types. Time frame is Summer 2022. They want something fairly remote, no combat fishing. They know how to fly fish.

I am wondering if I could be pointed in the right direction in terms of operators and guides who cater to this type of trip. I was asked to research this because I live up here but I'm just a city guy and have only been up here a few years and don't know anything about the types of operators that do this stuff.

They even wanted to come up here in January or February to "scout out" operators at lake hood but I told them not to bother as I figured everything would be closed down and locked up tight until at least April or May.

Thanks in advance! Suggestions welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://bristol-bay.com

Jerry is a good friend of mine… if there is anyone in Alaska that can offer that type of experience or know of any other outfitters that can it would be him..

Brian
    Thanks Narwhal thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest they have a virtual look around Alaska and find a general area to go camping. Brooks Range-Kobuk/Noatak Rivers-Wood River/Tikchik Lakes-Alaska Peninsula, etc. Then dig further for an outfitter willing to go with. Fishing varies of course by location and season.

Edit: I didn't intentionally exclude SE Alaska. There's prior threads here that show that area and available camps-fishing opportunities.

Gary
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 10-24-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve's Aircraft (Brian) View Post
    https://bristol-bay.com

Jerry is a good friend of mine… if there is anyone in Alaska that can offer that type of experience or know of any other outfitters that can it would be him..

Brian
    Didn’t his plane get stolen a few years back. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Wannabe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell them to cough up the money and go to a fly out fishing lodge, the guides will know what rivers are fishing good in case a water system is blown out due to weather. Also, have them fly around in a beaver...in an otter, it's just a big ole bus. In a beaver you're more in the intimate moment of a smaller craft. They'll have a much more successful experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
    Hello,

I have some family from Texas that wants to do a "primitive" fly-out fishing trip with no lodge, they want to camp with a guide. They have a specific request to fly in a Beaver but I'm guessing an Otter would be OK too.

It's 3-4 experienced lower 48 fisherman, they did not seem to care about what type of fish although King Salmon and Trout were mentioned, Late 50's-early 60's businessmen types. Time frame is Summer 2022. They want something fairly remote, no combat fishing. They know how to fly fish.

I am wondering if I could be pointed in the right direction in terms of operators and guides who cater to this type of trip. I was asked to research this because I live up here but I'm just a city guy and have only been up here a few years and don't know anything about the types of operators that do this stuff.

They even wanted to come up here in January or February to "scout out" operators at lake hood but I told them not to bother as I figured everything would be closed down and locked up tight until at least April or May.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flywhatever View Post
    Tell them to cough up the money and go to a fly out fishing lodge, the guides will know what rivers are fishing good in case a water system is blown out due to weather. Also, have them fly around in a beaver...in an otter, it's just a big ole bus. In a beaver you're more in the intimate moment of a smaller craft. They'll have a much more successful experience.
    Yeah, they already did a lodge on Kodiak last year, so I don't think it's a money issue, I think they want something less pampered and/or to kind of just be out there for a few days away from it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did something similar to that for a living....fly around to camp in different places and catch fish. Good way to see and learn the country. If that's what they'd like to do find a pilot with a Beaver and go tour Alaska.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine has been guiding float trips for rainbows and salmon out in Western Alaska for years. Definitely more of a remote trip - tent camps, far more rugged than a lodge yet still with good food and experienced guides (and excellent fishing). I’d at least give them a call to see if it would suit your needs.

https://akrainbow.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Intricate bay lodge has a guided camping option, fish and float alaska does guided camping/fishing trips as well but I think they are usually in the 6 day time frame. Since it's alaska and weather is always a factor, I would suggest they shoot for a little longer window

Post Thanks / Like
    I did some searching and came up with several links for Alaskan fishing expeditions, but nothing so far on camping with a pilot/guide. Not saying it can't be done but maybe scheduling and charging for that isn't as rewarding as booking into a lodge then flying out on day trips. There are day trip offers w/o a lodge also listed. Another option if they're experienced might be to go on a multi-day drop off/pick up float trip in rafts. When I was down to the Wood-Tikchik area and Kanektok river a few times (all NW Dillingham - Kanektok flows SW to Quinhagak from Pegati Lake) there were several floaters going by daily. I'm sure there's many similar trips around the Illiamna Lake country. But having a plane available does make relocating easier due to weather and fishing opportunities.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Where’s Tango? That kilt wearing beaver driving fisherman hauling Alaskan needs more work so he can stop picking on me.

Calling George Campbell…

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Likes supercrow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my favorite fly out float trips is lake creek. Its an easy 5 day trip, could be done in less but that would take a lot of the fun out of it and make for some long days. Doing it in 5 days will let you camp at one stop for 2 nights so you get a relaxed day of fishing a lounging and not just being in the raft all day. Depending on the time of summer you can hit all the salmon you want, nice rainbows and grayling.
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Taking a deep breath...

They want something fairly remote, no combat fishing. They know how to fly fish.

I hate to say it, but an awful lot of Bristol Bay and Kenai IS combat fishing to me. On the Nush there were as many as 50 boats in front of our camp, usually at least 20, that is within hearing range of the bagpipes.

The lodge I work for can offer the Beaver, and the Otter which is not turbine, (rocket ship with instant heat and dependable engine). We are a lodge with comfortable beds, dinners, bar and guides.

They know how to fish? These words really worry me because I thought I was a pretty good fisherman, and had experience as a guide, but I learned so much from our guides that I realized how little I know. Every fish species and every river has it's own quirks. A fisherman on their own will take days to learn a section of river and maybe catch a King, but with a guide they might catch 5 or six a day. The lodge operators, (the good ones), keep a close eye on weather, water temps and depths, and run strength to put people on fish, don't underestimate the value of a guide.

Send me a PM if they would consider a full lodge deal. Not cheap, but good value.

If they are set on going out tenting, I will second a vote for Jerry. He seems able to tailor trips to client desires like that.

On another subject, Peter, it would be more productive to be less of a target than to get me to work more!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes BC12D-4-85, Farmboy, Narwhal liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Taking a deep breath...

They want something fairly remote, no combat fishing. They know how to fly fish.

I hate to say it, but an awful lot of Bristol Bay and Kenai IS combat fishing to me. On the Nush there were as many as 50 boats in front of our camp, usually at least 20, that is within hearing range of the bagpipes.

The lodge I work for can offer the Beaver, and the Otter which is not turbine, (rocket ship with instant heat and dependable engine). We are a lodge with comfortable beds, dinners, bar and guides.

They know how to fish? These words really worry me because I thought I was a pretty good fisherman, and had experience as a guide, but I learned so much from our guides that I realized how little I know. Every fish species and every river has it's own quirks. A fisherman on their own will take days to learn a section of river and maybe catch a King, but with a guide they might catch 5 or six a day. The lodge operators, (the good ones), keep a close eye on weather, water temps and depths, and run strength to put people on fish, don't underestimate the value of a guide.

Send me a PM if they would consider a full lodge deal. Not cheap, but good value.

If they are set on going out tenting, I will second a vote for Jerry. He seems able to tailor trips to client desires like that.

On another subject, Peter, it would be more productive to be less of a target than to get me to work more!
    It really depends on where you go in Bristol Bay, there are definitely places to go to get away from the crowds.

Do you know what species or time frame they are wanting to target?
    Likes mixer, Narwhal liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

3-5 day guided fly-out Alaska fishing trip wanted

69 river mile float trip down the North fork of the Goodnews River from Goodnews lake to the village of Goodnews…Charter a float plane out of Dillingham or Bethel if they have all the gear. There are outfits in Dillingham and Bethel that offers the same, but they’ll be on schedule. If it were me I’d do a charter…stop at every creek to camp and hike up and fish everyone of them.. once they get into the village…charter a wheel airplane out or fly commercial to Bethel.

The only down side is the lodge on the river about five miles from the village…they run more that a dozen jet boats and might travel 20 miles up the Goodnews from the lodge. I mention the lodge because I think the lodge expanded their operation this year as all of my favorite Silver holes were occupied every time we took the Wooldridge up for a day of fishing…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Mark_Moyle; 11-01-2021 at 02:11 PM.
    Likes BC12D-4-85, Narwhal liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
    Hello,

Chad Hewitt with Rainbow River Lodge runs a first class drop off and float operation. You can get the guide, likely John Streeter who will help you drift/row safely, set up camps, cook and of course put you on the fish. I’ve gone several times, great deal, wonder trips.

https://fishandfloatalaska.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    =========
    PA-12 fan
    Likes Narwhal liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to https://grizzlyskinsofalaska.com/

Talk with Tia. She is tops and will set you up with exactly the experience that you want. This is on the Alaska Peninsula and she knows remote. Probably want to do more like 7-8 days.

Alan
    Likes Narwhal liked this post