Thread: Flight of Passage - Museum or Private sale?

Post Thanks / Like

Flight of Passage - Museum or Private sale?

I was approached 4 years ago about hanging 71H, Rinker and Kernahan Buck's airplane, in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the Smithsonian. I dismissed it as life was in crisis mode at the time. It has not improved much and I'm now in full consideration.

Because of continued health problems, I will soon lose the income to maintain her. I could probably sell it for quite a bit as several collectors have reached out to me over the years. I think I'd rather see it hanging with the proper sunbursts on the wing than hiding it in that back of a hangar.

The thing is, I would still like some compensation to help me and my family through our troubled times. I was wondering if there is any interest in raising money through GoFundMe, that I would receive compensation to help with raising my daughter and getting a single level wheelchair accessible home that we need. I'm not saying I need that whole amount, but a down payment would be nice. Your thoughts?

If the decision is no, a private sale will probably be in my future. For all those who helped me get her back to flying and across the country, I'm sorry it has come to this. Thanks to all who participated over the years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190906_155930810_HDR.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	58040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210823_121656797.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	58041
    The aviator formally known as 89.
    Thanks AkPA/18, cubscout, FdxLou, tedwaltman1, WWhunter thanked for this post
    Likes garyl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry to hear you are facing tough decisions.

I personally won't give through 'Go Fund me' as the collection agency takes a cut. That would not preclude me from making a donation to a museum cause.

Bottom line though, do what ever you need to take care of your family. If that means selling her to another, so be it.

May every day forward be better than the last!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Thanks mixer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    I personally won't give through 'Go Fund me' as the collection agency takes a cut.
    Back in the day when my daughter was born, it was an exorbitant amount. Now they just ask for credit card processing fee of less than 3% and then ask for an optional tip to them. I think that borders reasonable.
    https://www.gofundme.com/c/pricing
    The aviator formally known as 89.
    Thanks gdafoe thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sell it. Let the new owner scratch their head over what to do. You have a daughter to take care of.
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, sometimes we are dealt rough hands that no one deserves. I will keep your family in my prayers. You are going to need the money that your airplane will bring in a sale. It is wonderful to know that there are people out there who would even consider donating such a valuable item when they know their future holds some rough times. God bless you and your family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, I know you are a romantic but romance doesn't pay the bills. I am sure you could raise a good bit of money with a Go-Fund me but I doubt it would be as much as you could get for the airplane in an outright sale especially in this market. People will continue to read "Flight of Passage", be inspired and follow their dreams of flight just like you did. You know what Mead says, we are merely keepers of the shrines for a short period of time. You have already inspired so many of us and we are all better people because of it. 71H was merely the catalyst.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks mixer, nesincg thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a plane, it's meant to fly. I say sell it to someone that will enjoy it as much as you have. I just think it would be a shame to hang it in a museum when it is a fully functional airplane. You'd be depriving 71H of any further adventures she might have a hand in. As historical as the plane is, who knows, maybe the memories she has created already is just the beginning....
    Sell it for every penny you can get out of her. Maybe on down the road, you'll be able to buy it back.
    Likes Steve Pierce, DavePA11, alaskadrifter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    As stated above, sell it to some deserving person. Should you donate it to a museum, donate to one that will keep it airworthy and fly it. If it went to the Smithsonian, it would likely be on display for a couple years, then get rotated out and put in storage never to be seen by the public again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks GreggB thanked for this post
    Likes GreggB, bob turner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had two teenage kids with the passion and skills to fly, I’d buy it and send them west with a water bag and enough money for gas telling them they’d better make friends if they wanted to eat
    Likes Steve Pierce, alaskadrifter, Penguin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    ..... and put in storage never to be seen by the public again.
    I just had a flashback to the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes alaskadrifter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The nice thing about selling an airplane is that you do not have to sell it to someone that you don’t want to. You may find a private buyer who knows the story and loves it, that is also willing to pay a fair price for the airplane and who will keep it flying. That may be the best tribute to the story and the work that you’ve done.

The opportunity to have your airplane displayed in the Smithsonian is pretty incredible, but once it is donated you have no control over it and it could be tucked away in a storage facility with no one to see it. Museums have more donations than they can display so they have to rotate things or keep things in storage. The rest of the world will be ok if you do not donate the airplane.

You’ve already done the Flight of Passage story an incredible service by restoring the airplane and sharing it. You do not owe anyone anything. Make sure you and your family are taken care of first.

Sending you best wishes as you navigate a challenging time,

—Amy
    Proud owner of a collection of airplane pieces (sometimes in one big piece) known as the Oklahoma Kid.
    Thanks mvivion thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nesincg View Post
    Back in the day when my daughter was born, it was an exorbitant amount. Now they just ask for credit card processing fee of less than 3% and then ask for an optional tip to them. I think that borders reasonable.
    https://www.gofundme.com/c/pricing
    I feel the same as George. I also think that 3% is a ton of money, since they are adding no value.

Your PA-11 is an asset, but currently provides no return. I would either sell it outright or find a flight school put it on leaseback.

If you can find a way to make your money and investment work for you, I would do that.

Tim
    Likes flynlow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, you have a special asset and from what you shared you need to liquidate it (at a premium) in order to provide for your family.

Always remember that there is nothing nobler that taking care of your family, anyone who finds fault with your decision if free to purchase 71H from you and then donate it.

Keep in touch, I might know someone interested.

Kirby
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes Utah 12 Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, I got no good advice for you. I'd just like you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers. Love to your family from ours. Do what you got to do.
    Thanks nesincg thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have something special. Perhaps not yet ready to be relegated to static display...that is always something that can happen in the future. Carefully vet a buyer who would appreciate the historic nature of the airplane, would act as an ambassador of the airplane & the story, and show it off (OSH, Blakesburg, Lock Haven, etc). In the process, you're helping take care of your family and can be proud of where it ended up.

If I had it, I'd stick my two teenagers in it to recreate the Buck's trip and get some attention for the original event. For sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sending prayers

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sending prayers and best wishes.
    Don't take life too seriously ... no one gets out alive!