Likes Likes:  0

Thread: drawings for banner hook

Post Thanks / Like

drawings for banner hook

Where would I find the drawings for the banner tow hook that mounted back by the tailwheel? I do not want to pay $1700 for a certified one if possible. Thanks,Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim i retired from banner towing i have a few of them
    Thanks astjp2 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    AC43.13-2A has a rough drawing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Banner hitch

Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    Where would I find the drawings for the banner tow hook that mounted back by the tailwheel? I do not want to pay $1700 for a certified one if possible. Thanks,Tim
    There are numerous ways to install. The simplest is an additional leaf spring extended with the hitch bolted on. The double bar tube style is excessively complicated, and I never understood why it was made that way. If you're thinking about glider towing then you should seriously consider a TOST brand hitch which is offers safer release in the event of excessive pull. It is fairly pricey, but serves a specific purpose.

We have also never used the handle type cockpit releases as they can get caught on your pant cuff (activating the release) and they have a tendency to either release too easily or to not release at all because there isn't sufficient throw or allowance for slack in the cable. They are not usually approved in Europe and you use a simple overhead tug on the cable attached to the cabane which is a lot easier to access when you're dropping a banner in a tight space - instead of flying into the trees while you're looking down at the floor.

Here's the FAA Advisory Circular on Banner Towing. See the photos and illustrations. https://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/other/fa...700-1_rev1.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0076.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	58012

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran 4 hooks on my TriPacer. Welded a .090 plate to the tail skid and bolted two hooks either side. Got that Field Approved along with the second oil cooler mounted on the nose strut and extended lip on the cowl outlet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I want it for hand propping, it’s getting old tying down the airplane, starting, untying and then getting in. I had my 8.50’s jump 4x4chalk and ever since it scared me I have always left the airplane tied down if I am not flying with someone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    I want it for hand propping, it’s getting old tying down the airplane, starting, untying and then getting in.
    Someone I once knew improvised a simple chain link system that used a clevis pin hairpin to hold the chain links together. Pin was attached to a cord that ran to the cockpit. Start the engine, get in, pull the cord and pin back inside, and taxi away.

The hairpin has very little load, it just holds the interlocked chain links together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frequent_flyer View Post
    Someone I once knew improvised a simple chain link system that used a clevis pin hairpin to hold the chain links together. Pin was attached to a cord that ran to the cockpit. Start the engine, get in, pull the cord and pin back inside, and taxi away.

The hairpin has very little load, it just holds the interlocked chain links together.
    Sailing guys have something like that, just never bought one

Post Thanks / Like