Thread: Trig remote head com & transponder

Post Thanks / Like

Trig remote head com & transponder

I`m in the process of replacing a king com and garmin transponder in a PA-18. Would like to get some feedback on the TRIG remote head comm. and TRIG remote head transponder. These are on the top of the list, mainly for saving weight and space consumed by the install, we have no actual ops experience with either unit. All thoughts and or personal experiences greatly appreciated...

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve installed and used three of each. Very nice units and the remote head format makes install in smaller panels very nice. I’m installing a full Dynon system right now and was surprised to see the remote boxes are the same Trig units but with Dynon heads
    Thanks Dark Horse Aviation thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the Trig com & transponder in my PA-18. Their Tech support is excellent. You will be very happy with these units both with the install and operationally.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used them in the last three Super Cub rebuilds and multiple panel upgrades including my own Super Cub. Com, Transponder and ADSB. I just have the Com and really like it. Monitoring two frequencies is great and wiring it with a VOX/PTT intercom switch is nice when you want to fly the door open with a passenger. I am a Trig dealer as well and can help you with purchase and installation advice.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks StuporCruiser, Dark Horse Aviation thanked for this post
    Likes OLDCROWE, StuporCruiser liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    These are great units. Very good quality. The remote heads are great for panels with clearance issues. Just make sure your coax and wire harness are high quality also.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, if you are installing the TT22 transponder, you only need to add the TN70 system to make it a certified ADS-B out system.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve you mentioned that adding a vox/ptt intercom switch is great for open door flying with a pax, the com model being looked at is the TY91 which has a voice activated intercom, is it weak from the standpoint that outside noise can activate the intercom causing excessive background noise?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for your input!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse Aviation View Post
    Steve you mentioned that adding a vox/ptt intercom switch is great for open door flying with a pax, the com model being looked at is the TY91 which has a voice activated intercom, is it weak from the standpoint that outside noise can activate the intercom causing excessive background noise?
    The intercom works great but the VOX can activate when the window and door are open and your passenger doesn't keep their mic out of the in coming air so I install the switch to use either VOX or intercom PTT at my discretion.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Insert my objection to built in intercoms here, lol.

My observation is that you will get better control and function from a stand alone intercom than with any built in system. As you change circumstances (i.e. doors open vs doors closed, low power vs high power maneuvers, or even mixes of headsets) it is much easier to reset volume and vox squelch settings with the knobs on an intecom box instead of the programming menu from a com radio. If you plan on flying mostly with doors/windows open, you can even install a high power intercom made for open cockpits.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got my TY91 wired like Steve's - momentary intercom push-to-talk with a toggle switch to enable voice activation. It works well enough for most of my open-door flying. A dedicated intercom can probably do a better job, but it's another box and a few more wires to deal with. If I were flying Young Eagles every weekend I might consider a standalone PS Engineering.

The radio itself is excellent. I consistently receive transmissions from > 50 nm away, sometimes > 100 nm from skydive operations if conditions are right. Airports I'd never even heard of on the other side of Lake Michigan. The squelch could probably be more discriminating as I really don't care what's happening that far away.

Post Thanks / Like

Trig remote head com & transponder

Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post

My observation is that you will get better control and function from a stand alone intercom than with any built in system. As you change circumstances (i.e. doors open vs doors closed, low power vs high power maneuvers, or even mixes of headsets) it is much easier to reset volume and vox squelch settings with the knobs on an intecom box instead of the programming menu from a com radio. If you plan on flying mostly with doors/windows open, you can even install a high power intercom made for open cockpits.

Web
    But it’s a cub. I can hear them screaming over the engine noise. And most of the time the radios off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes wireweinie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    After doing both I agree with web on this. Getting the squelch settings right with the internal intercom was not easy. The VOX switch made it tolerable but the quality was not the best. At least with the set up I had I would have preferred an intercom. The radio itself is excellent

Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post

Web
    Likes wireweinie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, I have done 3 lately including my own and thought they all sounded great and were easy to set up. Of course Cathy says I can't hear lots of things but I thought that was her just nagging at me again.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I'm being fussy. I use Bose headsets in my Cub and the sound quality is awesome with a PS Engineering intercom and easily adjusted. I found in the last Bearhawk that I built the Trig intercom worked fine while alone but once someone was with me it became a problem to try and figure out how to adjust the settings while in the air so I just shut them off. Once on the ground I could make adjustments and get things dialed in better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you got it set up did you find you had to adjust it again under different conditions. I admit it is a pain to go into the settings and set it up. I did it initially and haven't messed with it since but I rarely fly with a passenger other than my dogs.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I never got it really dialed in before it went to the owner but yes it was better Seems to depend on the headset the passenger was using I guess and every time I flew with a passenger it was a different headset. I’m sure it can be set up to work well but the dedicated intercom is easier to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago, a buddy installed an Apollo / UPS / Garmin com (SL40?) with a built-in 2 place intercom.
    Seemed to work fine, except....
    whenever someone transmitted on the frequency, it muted the intercom.
    Great for not missing a call from ATC,
    but for being able to carry on a conversation with the right seater not so much--
    for that, you had to tune it to an unused frequency.
    Dunno if maybe that mute feature is not utilized on modern radios, or can be disabled.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like

Very Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have used them in the last three Super Cub rebuilds and multiple panel upgrades including my own Super Cub. Com, Transponder and ADSB. I just have the Com and really like it. Monitoring two frequencies is great and wiring it with a VOX/PTT intercom switch is nice when you want to fly the door open with a passenger. I am a Trig dealer as well and can help you with purchase and installation advice.
    I am one of Steve's happy installs. I love my set up. The way Steve rigs the VOX/PTT is great for a cub with doors and windows open.

I would do exactly the same thing again if needed.

Bryan