Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Be —extra— careful welding in the hangar!

  1. #1
    tedwaltman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Delta, CO
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Be —extra— careful welding in the hangar!

    Someone welding in a hangar and set off a can of gasoline. Burned 1 Piper and lots of equipment. Near Denver. 18V.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F6D1E56-89E5-49D8-8342-B4033CDCD215.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	57899Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2269153-6C14-4CBF-8B12-789E2BEAD055.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	57902

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,391
    Post Thanks / Like
    YIKES! Ted, when was that?

    Time for everyone to review NFPA 409....

    Thanks. cubscout

  3. #3
    RVBottomly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Asotin County Washington (KLWS)
    Posts
    1,255
    Post Thanks / Like
    Applies to shops, too. And grinding sparks, etc.

    I remember forgetting that once, when I thought I'd just do a little quick grinding. Put on face shield and hearing protection and hit the piece for all of 20 seconds.

    I got done and saw where the sparks were shooting: a 2.5 gallon can of mixed 2 cycle fuel I had set down the day before.

    Nothing happened, but I felt almost sick at what could have happened.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Moab, UT
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes! My uncle lost a barn with a couple cubs, heavy equipment, and some boats. Cause of that fire --- oily rags in a bucket.

    On the same subject, cleaning parts with brake cleaner then welding can be REALLY bad. Can create a toxic gas.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fowler, Ks
    Posts
    672
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wash washing a pipeline welder(sa200) in the shop prior to repainting
    The generator part was coating with oily dirt and a water hose hadno effect so i poured gas over it and it helped loosen the dirt. The aircompressor kicked on and i watched the spark from the pressure switch contact ignite the gasfloating on the water
    Almost the entire shop was on fire, esp the welder with 20 gallons of gas in the tank
    A fine mist of water spray layed the fire down but scary stuff!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Thanks mixer thanked for this post

  6. #6
    tedwaltman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Delta, CO
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fire at 18V was yesterday. Thanks to everyone for the other helpful reminders about possible fire hazards!
    Thanks cubscout thanked for this post

  7. #7
    aktango58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    18AA
    Posts
    9,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes!

    After I did the crispy critter move on myself in the boat, I have a healthy respect for small sparks and fumes.

    My uncle used to tell me when welding inside a shop, vent it well. Open all the doors, and keep all flammables contained. Naturally, along with most that have welded, I have an assortment of boots and clothing with burn marks from cutting/welding and grinding. Amazing how fast polar fleece will dissolve when grinding slag is spraying onto it.

    Keep safe everyone
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Thanks cubscout, tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

  8. #8
    180Marty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Paullina, Ia
    Posts
    2,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was helping my cousin fix a piece of farm equipment years ago. Had to use his bench grinder and didn't notice he was charging some tractor batteries on the floor. The batteries blew the tops and I didn't appreciate all the holes in my Tee shirt. Also, watched a mechanic blow all the batteries in a golf cart when he started arc welding without unhooking them.
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    palmer arkansas
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    I liked wearing my fleece flying until I was burning a grass patch one day and took it off since the fire was warm. It got a bit close and melted almost instantly! I don't wear it in the airplane any more. I don't weld in it either. The last thing you want on fire in your shop is yourself.
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of your clothing is probably cotton. Cotton especially when its damp with a little sweat has good fire protection. It will char when it gets too hot. Wool is good too.

    Most of your modern insulating clothing is probably synthetics. Synthetics will typically melt when the get too hot and stick to your skin then sustain a flame. It's a bit graphic, but it might help us remember that next time we weld/grind.
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

  11. #11
    RVBottomly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Asotin County Washington (KLWS)
    Posts
    1,255
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Amazing how fast polar fleece will dissolve when grinding slag is spraying onto it.

    Keep safe everyone
    Too true. You'd think I'd learn by now. I have three prized polar Tec style jackets with melted spots and holes in them from grinding, not welding.



    Quote Originally Posted by bcone1381 View Post
    Most of your clothing is probably cotton. Cotton especially when its damp with a little sweat has good fire protection. It will char when it gets too hot. Wool is good too.

    Most of your modern insulating clothing is probably synthetics. Synthetics will typically melt when the get too hot and stick to your skin then sustain a flame. It's a bit graphic, but it might help us remember that next time we weld/grind.
    Also too true. One of the jackets mentioned above started burning from using a cutoff wheel. I smelled the combustion by-product and had it off in a second. I'm glad I noticed. It was ready to really burn, but I got it out with my boot.

    I have it hanging up by my shop door as a reminder.
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

Similar Threads

  1. y’all be careful out there!
    By flyrite in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2019, 10:11 AM
  2. Careful out there
    By Eddie747 in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-13-2017, 04:51 PM
  3. Extra Extra Read All About It! 337s Going to Oklahoma City!
    By Grant in forum Take Action Jackson
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 02:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •