• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What's the problem with a changed N number?

.... I do know that Victor Zulu, especially when preceded by niner, is a pretty cool call sign....

A buddy of mine used to own a Starduster, the tail number ended in Alpha Alpha.
It was easy to use on the radio, because he always just said "alfafa".
Controllers never seemed to mind.

The vanity number on my 180 was 180JB-
"zero juliet bravo" was quite a mouthful.
Changing back to the original number would have been worth it,
just to get away from that.
FWIW I told a guy I know whose initial are JB about having changed the number, and that it was now available--
he immediately reserved it for one of his project 180's.

Back in the 80's and 90's lots of guides in Alaska reserved N numbers that were rifle Calibers followed by their initial's. I had 338EB on my plane in 90's, from 223/458 were common back then. Some fella from Juneau had blocked out a bunch of caliber numbers and was selling em to fellow guides. The guy I sold .338 to changed it right
back to it's original registration a few months after he purchased it.......
E

Vanity numbers are for people that aim the go pro at their selves instead of out the front when they are flying.

When you build a plane that didn’t exist before the decision of the N number is almost as difficult as deciding on a paint scheme. Sorting through the available numbers was fun.

I would remind you there are aircraft out there that NEED a short N number. I'm thinking Pitts', Baby Lakes, BD5's stuff like that. Heck even Skymasters need them. If they're all on 170's or King Airs ( as seen on You Tube videos of Oshkosh) how are those folks supposed to get in the air? 3 inch numbers don't work for everybody in every circumstance. I say stick with regular length numbers so that short numbers are there for those who need them.

I've also heard several exchanges with ATC where that short number requires clarification. ATC will usually ask to be certain if you only give them two characters. Extra trouble - and more to the point - a poor use of controllers time and frequency bandwidth.

Not trying to get on anyone's case or ruffle any feathers. I just wanted to point out some issues folks may not have thought of. If it's legal and you want to, go for it. I don't like the idea, but it is still legal.

No airplane NEEDS a short N number. There are provisions in the rules for just about any situation regarding making the N number fit on the airframe. As for "saving" the short N numbers for those who "need" them, someone has already beat you to it. There is at least one enterprising individual (maybe more than one) who have systematically reserved all the short N numbers and will now "sell" you that reservation for a hefty fee. The shorter or more unique the N number, the higher the price to transfer the registration. So if you want it bad enough..... (A friend of mine used to say "if you want it bad, you'll get it bad!")

Back