Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anti-STOL Article on AVweb

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t have a lot of very close friends. I think that you and I are cut from the same bit of cloth. I would love to be busting gravel bars if it was available to me. I value you as a friend. Do what makes you happy and disregard the naysayers! (As long as Momma agrees!)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    There is a comment section under the article. I tried to leave a comment ment but can't log onto my AvWeb account. Doesn't recognize my email address although they email me several times es a week. I gave up. From the comments both there and here I rea.ize I am in the minority and after some reflection I understand that.
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    The course in 2020 and 2021 did not fly over houses and crowds. (Unless you took this turn wider and flew over the houses in question down by the river. The crashes were in their front yard.). They did a very good job of controlling viewers from places that were dangerous. The qualification procedures have you land on the Restaurant airstrip (1100 ft) at less than 500 ft. During the competition, you land beyond that because you have to 180 and take off. That qualification needs to be looked at. The “impossible turn” is not evaluated. If you don’t want people to bust their asses then you need to tighten the qualification procedure.
    Quote Originally Posted by acroeric View Post
    About the only part of this that has any meat in it at all is if they fly over houses or crowds during the competition. IMHO any attempt at trying to protect people from themselves is going to be problematic. .
    Last edited by Eddie Foy; 10-13-2021 at 06:37 PM.
    Likes tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a comment section under the article. I tried to leave a comment ment but can't log onto my AvWeb account. Doesn't recognize my email address although they email me several times es a week. I gave up. From the comments both there and here I rea.ize I am in the minority and after some reflection I understand that.
    Same here.

But I don't feel strongly enough about the author's viewpoint to make the effort anyway, especially as the majority of pilots probably agree with him. I just felt the need to post my viewpoint that it ain't the course's fault, it's the pilots...unless they are holding a gun to their head and forcing them to fly the course that is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    I don’t have a lot of very close friends. I think that you and I are cut from the same bit of cloth. I would love to be busting gravel bars if it was available to me. I value you as a friend. Do what makes you happy and disregard the naysayers! (As long as Momma agrees!)
    Ditto Eddie. Tony and I and a few others will continue to do what we do and have a good time doing it and hopefully meet other like minded people along the way. Been in Nebraska doing a Super Cub pre-buy and the owner perked up when I mention Johnson Creek. His next question was had I been to Soldier Bar and the conversation went on from there remembering all the fun we had there. He dropped me off at the airport this morning and last thing he said was he enjoyed visiting with me, he hadn't met anyone who flew in Idaho in a long time and it was great to talk to someone who had been there. Another friend made because of our fondness for the Super Cub.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Eddie Foy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty good discussion with Doug Jackson last night on the HDHP, we touched on safety a bit. Doug was very candid about the issues they have had - I think this kind of transparent approach can make all of these events safer.

"Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21964D27-02EC-42D1-B5CC-CABCF2A9A71E.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	57887

Soldier Bar

Ditto Eddie. Tony and I and a few others will continue to do what we do and have a good time doing it and hopefully meet other like minded people along the way. Been in Nebraska doing a Super Cub pre-buy and the owner perked up when I mention Johnson Creek. His next question was had I been to Soldier Bar and the conversation went on from there remembering all the fun we had there. He dropped me off at the airport this morning and last thing he said was he enjoyed visiting with me, he hadn't met anyone who flew in Idaho in a long time and it was great to talk to someone who had been there. Another friend made because of our fondness for the Super Cub.
    Likes Steve Pierce, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    Pretty good discussion with Doug Jackson last night on the HDHP, we touched on safety a bit. Doug was very candid about the issues they have had - I think this kind of transparent approach can make all of these events safer.

Caught it this morning while waiting to leave Nebraska. Doug did good, that is Doug as himself in the real world having fun. I see what happens when I am not around.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes SJ, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I need to amend things too. You guys just be careful. I was trying to say this in all that: Sometimes what looks safe isn't at all (like the knife edge turn thing I saw apparently to make time I would suppose) and what looks to be pure suicide (flying a B-17 low in ground effect) is actually the safe thing. If crop dusting was as dangerous as it looks, none of us would have done it. We're riding a hard ball of air (if we're doing it right) just like the WWII's did in B-25's.

About that low level turn: When you turn through the points of wind you can have an accelerated stall easy - lower the nose to whatever attitude it was flying in last and you've got a shot at recovery. Everything else is secondary to that. Good luck with the competition!

Post Thanks / Like
    I shared what was started as an entry in my journal/blog to hear comments like yours. I recognize I am an outsider to the STOL competition community, so I welcome any discussion on this that is, as MTV said, somewhat above that found when I shared this on Facebook.
    Thanks C130jake thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by royevansii View Post
    I shared what was started as an entry in my journal/blog to hear comments like yours. I recognize I am an outsider to the STOL competition community, so I welcome any discussion on this that is, as MTV said, somewhat above that found when I shared this on Facebook.
    I can imagine what the response was when you posted it on Facebook.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting follow up article on avweb: https://www.avweb.com/uncategorized/...zkill-argument

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "..........the risk squeeze will be worth the payoff juice"

I like it.

PS - This is from one of the linked articles: https://www.avweb.com/insider/stick-a-stem-on-it/