• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best location to instal fuel boost pump IO360 PA18

I’m fitting an IO 360 to a PA 18. Any ideas or pictures on best installation position for airflow performance fuel injection pump. Ideas and suggestions appreciated with pics if possible.

API suggests installing inside the cabin to keep it out of the heat. I didn’t want a fuel pump inside so it’s mounted on the lower right side of the firewall inside a sheet metal box that’s interior is cooled by a blast tube. The front is secured by a couple of quarter turn fasteners. It works great. No hot start issues.

Attachments

• E565B3F1-8474-434B-8F6E-564E9834F64E.jpeg
    E565B3F1-8474-434B-8F6E-564E9834F64E.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 93948760-FE53-4F49-94BA-5A62EFAE8581.jpg
    93948760-FE53-4F49-94BA-5A62EFAE8581.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 9C5869EA-0541-4A5F-B930-1123A43207C2.jpg
    9C5869EA-0541-4A5F-B930-1123A43207C2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Are you using their fuel filter? I didn’t and I wonder if I should. Fuel goes through a Steve’s gascolator before the high pressure pump so hopefully that’s good enough. I’ll add a pump on indicator light in the panel this winter. I forget to use the pump for takeoff and landing more often than not.

Difficult to see. The Whelan pump is located just under, slightly ahead and outboard of the fuel selector.

SMITHCUBPetes043.jpg

Attachments

• SMITHCUBPetes043.jpg
    SMITHCUBPetes043.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 120
Don’t forget to plan for a fuel pressure gauge, which means putting a sender unit in the fuel line after the mechanical pump. I didn’t do one initially and added it later. It would have been easier to install at the start.

Well, I finally ordered an indicator light for the electric fuel pump so thanks to you for bringing the topic up!

Stewart,
Why did you guys go with the API boost pump instead of the smaller, lighter Andair?
J

API suggests installing inside the cabin to keep it out of the heat. I didn’t want a fuel pump inside so it’s mounted on the lower right side of the firewall inside a sheet metal box that’s interior is cooled by a blast tube. The front is secured by a couple of quarter turn fasteners. It works great. No hot start issues.

I used a Weldon pump just because of past good experience. C J Aviation is also a good source. I had them comply with a bulletin on a Dukes pump in my 185 several decades ago. It never gave me any troubles.

Johnny,

Here are some pics that may help you. My Steve’s gascolator is mounted just below the electric pump. The pump install was pretty simple. The cooling box cover comes off with four 1/4 turn fasteners so inspection is easy. I also have a cooling shroud on the engine driven pump. Maybe overkill but the cooler the fuel, the better. The last pic is my pressure sender. Most guys make a block to attach to the firewall for the sender and route fuel lines accordingly. This location made more sense to me, and it was easy to add after the airplane was flying.

Attachments

• EC08CC9B-CAC0-411E-A510-4C49552FC694.jpeg
    EC08CC9B-CAC0-411E-A510-4C49552FC694.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 5213F782-2434-4ED9-BC6B-5A8890AD5601.jpg
    5213F782-2434-4ED9-BC6B-5A8890AD5601.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 19
  • DD8A2E49-FC1B-4ACC-9A42-3CDF361639F5.jpg
    DD8A2E49-FC1B-4ACC-9A42-3CDF361639F5.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 21
  • C582A2A3-C535-4DDF-903D-1A00162A0527.jpeg
    C582A2A3-C535-4DDF-903D-1A00162A0527.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 6A5E2B9A-8D22-4C7D-8041-EEEAAB6722C6.jpg
    6A5E2B9A-8D22-4C7D-8041-EEEAAB6722C6.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 25
Something which I've thought off but not done, is to install a low pressure switch after the engine driven pump. In case of an engine pump failure or prior to engine start when the engine pump is not putting out pressure the aux pump will automatically be turned on. When the engine pump is putting out pressure the aux pump will be shut off.

It's a good idea. I believe EFII's EFI has that feature. My G3X has a low pressure alert so I'd know very quickly if there was a problem, assuming I was paying attention.

Something which I've thought off but not done, is to install a low pressure switch after the engine driven pump. In case of an engine pump failure or prior to engine start when the engine pump is not putting out pressure the aux pump will automatically be turned on. When the engine pump is putting out pressure the aux pump will be shut off.

I think that would take away the control I now have on how much fuel to prime with for a cold start. I currently watch fuel flow during cold prime and I don't want the pump running any longer than required to give the prime I decided on.

Also a low pressure switch after the engine driven pump will be switched by pressure from the aux pump. If engine pump fails the aux pump will come on then almost immediately be turned off again when pressure rises. The aux pump will then continuously oscillate on and off and fuel pressure will oscillate around the low pressure trip point by an amount influenced by the switch hysteresis.

The low pressure switching could be made smarter than that but, in my opinion, it's not worth the complexity.

Edit to add - Above assumes aux pump is before engine pump and fuel presure is sampled after engine pump which it is on both my aircraft.

Last edited:

It's a feature of EFII's bus manager. Apparently they know how to make it work.

https://www.flyefii.com/products/bus-manager/

I think that would take away the control I now have on how much fuel to prime with for a cold start. I currently watch fuel flow during cold prime and I don't want the pump running any longer than required to give the prime I decided on.
It is easy to control the amount of prime by the use of the mixture control if the aux pump were left running.

Also a low pressure switch after the engine driven pump will be switched by pressure from the aux pump. If engine pump fails the aux pump will come on then almost immediately be turned off again when pressure rises. The aux pump will then continuously oscillate on and off and fuel pressure will oscillate around the low pressure trip point by an amount influenced by the switch hysteresis.

The low pressure switching could be made smarter than that but, in my opinion, it's not worth the complexity.

Edit to add - Above assumes aux pump is before engine pump and fuel pressure is sampled after engine pump which it is on both my aircraft.
Good point. As I mentioned I had not done this nor had I given the process much thought. Other than I would still have the aux pump on/off switch in the system, so using the pump for prime as you suggest would still be done in the same manner.

Edit to add - Above assumes aux pump is before engine pump and fuel presure is sampled after engine pump which it is on both my aircraft.

All it would take is a latching relay. Then a manual switch could be used to remove power from the relay/aux pump if necessary.

Web

Back