• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wag 2+2 project

Yankedriver

Missoula MT
Just bought sportsman 2+2. It comes with welded fuselage, wag tail group, flight controls, doors with hinges, pa 18 gear, tires and wheels, wood wings put together, flaps and ailerons put together. Nothing is covered. I also believe it comes with all of the cowl/floor aluminum. Never been registered. I am hoping the 51% rule won’t be an issue.

Get a copy of the FAA Amateur Built Assembly and Fabrication Checklist. Your DAR will want to see it when it's complete. Should be easy to see what % you can claim for the remainder.

Get a copy of the FAA Amateur Built Assembly and Fabrication Checklist. Your DAR will want to see it when it's complete. Should be easy to see what % you can claim for the remainder.

The checklist is the best starting point. If the previous work (done by prior owner) was done for education and entertainment, it also counts towards the 51%. It doesn’t all need to be done by the final builder. Airplanes can pass through any number of owners, but as long as all the work was for education and entertainment, it all counts.

The only things that dont count are things that were done as commercial assistance, or purchased completed components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.........Airplanes can pass through any number of owners, but as long as all the work was for education and entertainment, it all counts.

The only things that dont count are things that were done as commercial assistance, or purchased completed components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the post above. I'll add that You will need evidence that the previous that the project was "amateur built for the purpose of recreation and education" You should have gotten the previous owners builder's log to show this evidence. Photos with an amautre doing something is also good evidence.....reciepts, etc.

Assume an EAB aircraft was constructed over a period of time by several different builders each of whom sold the project to the next builder. The final owner who completes the build had no involvement with the earlier build tasks.

What percentage of the final build must the final owner perform in order to qualify for the repairman certificate?

Can the final owner who completes the build qualify under any circumstances for a repairman certificate?

Assume an EAB aircraft was constructed over a period of time by several different builders each of whom sold the project to the next builder. The final owner who completes the build had no involvement with the earlier build tasks.

What percentage of the final build must the final owner perform in order to qualify for the repairman certificate?

Can the final owner who completes the build qualify under any circumstances for a repairman certificate?

It is undefined, but you have to be the "primary builder."

Here is a short reference article on it: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bu...estions/how-to-get-your-repairman-certificate

It is undefined, but you have to be the "primary builder."

Here is a short reference article on it: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bu...estions/how-to-get-your-repairman-certificate

That reference seems to conveniently ignore the eligibility requirements of FAA Order 8900.1 Vol 5, Ch 5, Sec 5 para 5-1219 A. 2).

"An individual working alone who applies for a Repairman Certificate (Experimental Aircraft Builder) must build the majority of the aircraft to be considered the primary builder and to be eligible for the certificate."

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch5,Sec5

That reference seems to conveniently ignore the eligibility requirements of FAA Order 8900.1 Vol 5, Ch 5, Sec 5 para 5-1219 A. 2). "[FONT=&]An individual working alone who applies for a Repairman Certificate (Experimental Aircraft Builder) must build the majority of the aircraft to be considered the primary builder and to be eligible for the certificate."[/FONT]http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch5,Sec5
Well, good find. Looks like all the info is in that order.

Thanks for the feedback, here are some pictures that better describe what I have. 7EED2E96-FFE0-490D-BEF1-B4997D78E15B.jpeg393954A5-4463-4CA0-8770-B0A99DCF6124.jpegD7061049-767F-439C-8622-3E2F470B04A6.jpeg

Attachments

• 7EED2E96-FFE0-490D-BEF1-B4997D78E15B.jpeg
    7EED2E96-FFE0-490D-BEF1-B4997D78E15B.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 385
  • 393954A5-4463-4CA0-8770-B0A99DCF6124.jpeg
    393954A5-4463-4CA0-8770-B0A99DCF6124.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 387
  • D7061049-767F-439C-8622-3E2F470B04A6.jpeg
    D7061049-767F-439C-8622-3E2F470B04A6.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 405
You certainly have a project! Looks like you have nice tires, too.

Try to get the prior builder's build log. Then get the FAA homebuilder's checklist for percentage of each task/component. You might still be able to account for 51% of the build. Then you'd be eligible for the repairman's certificate, too.

I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like you still have welding to do for tabs, pully mounts, fabrication of cowling channels, etc.

Also, I hope the fuselage is painted brown rather than covered with surface rust.... if it is, that is the first thing to deal with. I'd prefer a different color so that rust would be easy to see if it shows up.

Good luck! I have a 2+2 project that is about that far along and I think I have more than halfway left to go.

There is no minimum participation by the “final” builder. Remember that on the 8130-12, the names of ALL builders should appear.

Now, in order to qualify for the Repairman Certificate, FAA will want to see evidence of significant participation, but I don’t think there is any specific guidance, just up to the Inspector based on an interview with the applicant.

Don’t confuse the “major portion” required for the Airworthiness Certificate, and the requirements to qualify for the repairman certificate. They are very different requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back