• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2022 Airman’s Raffle Plane

stewartb

Nice!

Attachments

• 0AFBCB1A-E389-4E66-BBFA-CE508C795740.jpg
    0AFBCB1A-E389-4E66-BBFA-CE508C795740.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 401
No one else need enter, they are building that plane for me!

I will however have my cub for sale cheap after I win that one!!!!

I'm curious as to why the 'Alaska' Airmans Association brought in an airplane from outside.

Web

I guess the winner will have to go to Yakima and help build their own FX3 if they win! I wonder if they will have an FX3 on hand for static display at the annual airmens' aviation gathering :lol::lol::lol:

I guess the winner will have to go to Yakima and help build their own FX3 if they win! I wonder if they will have an FX3 on hand for static display at the annual airmens' aviation gathering :lol::lol::lol:

Nope, some Airmans association members are going down to build it before the show then flying it up and raffling it off as a completed plane. Personally I think it would have been cooler to raffle of the experience of going down to Yakima and the winner doing the owner assist on their own plane but then of course they wouldn't have a plane to display for the show.

I'm curious as to why the 'Alaska' Airmans Association brought in an airplane from outside.

Web
Lot of free publicity on social media from people's heads exploding because it isn't being built in Alaska. ;) I got invited twice to bid on building the Airmen's giveaway Super Cub. No way for many reason and not being in Alaska is one of them. Funny though, I wonder how many tickets are bought from people outside of Alaska and how many lower 48ers attend the show.

Have you flown the FX3?

Of course not, but it might not help change my mind. Couple things I need in a Cub. First and biggest, I " need" a Cub I can fly with the door open, at any speed. Can I do that in an FX3? A Cub is not a Cub if you can't fly around at 100' and smell the fresh mowed hay under you

Glenn

Of course not, but it might not help change my mind. Couple things I need in a Cub. First and biggest, I " need" a Cub I can fly with the door open, at any speed. Can I do that in an FX3? A Cub is not a Cub if you can't fly around at 100' and smell the fresh mowed hay under you

Glenn
Then there's that toe brake thing

The very first raffle airplane was a new Cessna. I don’t know the full history but there has been past manufacturer involvement as well as private owner donations of aircraft. It’s always cool when the raffle airplane stays in Alaska but there are a lot of sponsors from the lower 48 as well as ticket purchases. More tickets and sponsorships mean more money flowing into the association for work within Alaska. I have worked for two companies outside of Alaska that have made significant donations to the raffle airplane. It’s a highly successful fundraiser for the association and widely known outside of Alaska, which not a lot of state associations can say. Having worked with sponsorships before, sometimes it’s riskier for an OEM to make a contribution like CubCrafters because then more organizations want to ask the same of you. I think they’ve designed a cool program for this year and mostly, I am looking forward to being back at the show in May [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cub Crafters has done a couple raffle Cubs in the past, the last being a Sport Cub I believe. I don’t mind out of state folks buying raffle tickets since the money goes towards advocacy for Alaskan aviation.

Glenn

No wonder we don't have lots of cubs. First of all it is often so cold that a door open is really a bad idea, and second, hard to find any hay around most of our state, mowed or otherwise.:lol:

It would be nice to see the AAA use Alaska businesses and promote Alaska, but the intent is for them to raise operating capital.

Sometimes you got to do things that are not the most favorite.

I wonder if they will have it painted proprietary cub yellow with a black stripe?8)

I " need" a Cub I can fly with the door open, at any speed. Can I do that in an FX3?

No. FX-3 is limited to only one window open in flight and has a speed limit of 81 MPH IAS with any window open. When I have a window open for photography I drop a notch of flap and fly well below the window limit speed. You can certainly fly the FX-3 at 100 ft with widow and door open.

It would not surprise me to learn that some FX-3 have been modified to raise the window limit speed.

I’m curious what kind of real world take off and landing performance the FXs get?

sounds like it is excellent, even before you bring it to our cool dense air.

Stewart, If I won it I would have to sell it to pay taxes, and I can not imagine the insurance...

That said, I would have no problem skipping with glee if I was the winner. Maybe Pierce would trade his cub for the 3?

I'd rather have a Super Legend or Super Cub

:pop:

Glenn
me too.....

I've flown alongside many Carbon Cubs over the last few years. They are great performers and are impressive, however we all operated in and out of the same areas at the end of the day.
The big issue w/me is the parts availability here in Alaska. I like the fact that I can get parts/mods etc. for my PA-18 at Stoddards, Atlee, Airframes etc. right here in Alaska at anytime almost the same day. The PA-18 is deep rooted here in Alaska and the following is extensive.

I’m curious what kind of real world take off and landing performance the FXs get?

I'm curious too. I have a copy of the POH since I'm going to Tac Aero's 5 day FX3 course next week. We'll be flying around close to max gross a bunch at 4000 foot density altitudes though. I don't think they want the POH posted up public, else I would.

The takeoff and cruise performance chart numbers look very close to the CC-18 top cub at Max Gross vs Max Gross, which is public data http://cubcrafters.com/c/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/TC10000AFM_Rev_U_-_Statement.pdf . 10%-15% edge in climb and speed to the FX3. It's a little difficult to compare the charts because both airplanes have different prop/gear configurations interspersed; a lot of the top cub charts are with a 76" sensenich cruise prop on 26's; I guess the top cub is actually pretty fast with that prop on it; there is a 129 mph TAS listed with that cruise prop!

Big exception is that the FX3's charted landing distances are about half the top cub's. FX3 stall speed with full flaps is about a 4-5 MPH lower calibrated airspeed, so that's probably why, maybe a by-product of the G-series flap redesign and 15% lower max weight compared to top cub (2000 vs 2300 lbs). FX3 published Stall speed with full flaps is 48 mph calibrated, again at 2000 lbs.

Takeoff numbers look close to a carbon cub SS if you only fly the the FX3 with 400 lbs of payload & Fuel combined like you legally are supposed to with the SS, which is to say football field-esque takeoff distances. Except with the FX3, you get the option to fill it up with people, stuff, and 5 hours worth of fuel if you can accept a couple of football fields worth of field length instead of 1.

I don't know how that all plays out in the real world with actual skilled pilots (i.e not me), and I'd love to compare it to a PA18 but we know how those POH's look. Obviously a lighter airplane without the heavy CS prop and structural reinforcements of the FX3 needed for 2k MTOW will be a better STOL machine. FX3 is more of a compromise cruiser/hauler than a STOL dragster. Plus you kinda need slats to be top tier at experimental STOL anymore. A big selling point on the FX3 for me as a bigger guy who lives life in the 230 lb range is that I can carry another big person in the back plus fill up the tanks and still have legal weight for as much cargo as I can fit in (150+ lbs of weight leftover for cargo with two 225 lb folks and full fuel). I know Alaskans laugh at weight and balance but I don't like flying that way. Cruising around at 7-8 gph and 110-120 mph TAS thanks to fuel injection and electronic ignition is also sounding nice in a world of $6.00 gas, speaking as someone who has een feeding an O-470 for a few years, even with the Mogas option exploited.

Anyhow, looking forward to flying one. I've taken a fair amount of crap from folks up here for getting one of these, especially from the backcountry cub crowd. I just wasn't into spending 3-5 years buiilding one myself and the whole builder-for-hire gray area stuff was a little diffuclt/weird to research, compared to the FX builder assist, which while still contraversial in some circles at least seems transparent and cut/dried in terms of FAA stuff.

The FX3 will hang with any average Super Cub and then walk off and hide from it in cruise. Fly it back to back with a Husky and you will really grin. It is all about mission and budget. The FX3 is far from a Carbon Cub SS, higher gross weight and structurally a lot more robust. The fuel injected 360 has plenty of horsepower and the injected engine runs nice and cool without the pilot having to step climb or spend a lot of time watching temperatures. It is a top longeron fuselage so has a lot of room for storage from the top to the bottom of the fuselage and the inverted dog leg allows you to sleep in it if you so wanted. The thing I noticed first about flying it was the control harmony. The ailerons are sweet. They are lighter, more effective and faster to respond than a Piper aileron. I really see this when I make a run down the river and make all the hair pin turns. It is like I am on rails and I am not having to use top rudder like I do in my Super Cub. I really enjoy flying the FX3 and don't mind working on them most of the time. Sorry it isn't within my budget.

Flew the FX3 for the first time today. It lives up to the hype. We were stalling at 28 MPH TAS at ~ 1850 lbs and 4000 ft if the G3X is to be believed. With the Acme black ops and 31's grass landings were all pillowy and marshmallow, even with my ham fisted airmanship. Biggest difference from a PA18 is the buttery smooth control stick harmony and the fact that it wants to go 110 mph IAS without even trying if you level at 25"/2500 RPM. That's with 31's, 83" prop, uncovered gear, etc etc

Granted I am no expert on cubs (an understatement), but I have flown 4 different PA18's in the past 9 months. The takeoffs and landings are similar but the FX3 really doesn't need to be led around with rudder and has amazing roll response compared to 18 ailerons. The 3rd notch of flaps turns you into a brick which is great for precise landings in a tight spot. Forward visibility is pretty poor on 31's but that's nothing unexpected. It's like driving a lexus compared to a 30 year old Ford. Trying not to be a shill but my initial impression was quite good.

Flew the FX3 for the first time today. It lives up to the hype.

I think you'll enjoy yours. I took mine out today to play under the clouds just after cold front passage. Winds were over 30 kts aloft and it was a day for superior judgment to overcome any illusions of superior airmanship. Cross wind too strong for me at my favorite dirt strip and also too strong and gusty for first attempt back at KDVT. Second approach was easy. Just had to wait for the thermal to pass by.

Why do I fly? I don't know a better way to play in the sky.

Back