• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Vinyl Stripes on a Cub?

KJC

FRIEND
Clear Lake, MN
Has anyone used 3M or other vinyl striping on a Cub. I’d like to run a black 1/4 inch strip on the current project but I’m interested in opinions on the matter first. If I don’t use vinyl, it’s going to be a lot of work to mask for paint in this instance.

Not a cub but on Superflite fabric I have. Works great! May not last as long as paint if exposed to weather full time. Not sure. Pretty easy to apply.

I’m curious if during installation if you can remove it as long as it not pressed on too hard. Sometime it take a couple of try’s to get it perfectly straight. Any brand recommendations?

I have had vinyl lettering done on 5 different boom trucks, and the stuff holds up so good I'd have zero qualms about using it on an airplane. BUT...I'd get, if I was putting it on my plane, my buddy who owns the sign shop and works with the stuff every day, to do the application, just like I did with my trucks. Get someone who does it all the time, don't learn on your bird, it is money well spent (and shouldn't be much anyway) and this is coming from a cheapskate!

I’m curious if during installation if you can remove it as long as it not pressed on too hard. Sometime it take a couple of try’s to get it perfectly straight. Any brand recommendations?

Aerographics, Loveland, CO. They supply to many high-end warbird, acro, and fabric shops. They've got way more designs than shown in the online catalogue, plus clear directions that even I can follow. They're used to dealing with aviation-specific questions and issues, which may not always be the case with a local sign shop. And yes, I've done a fair amount of masking for paint designs, but difficult to justify the time to get it "just right".

http://www.aerographics.com/index.php

Thanks. cubscout

I have some out that is over 25 yrs old and looks great. Best material available and put on by those in the know. Makes a great looking job with very clean lines as compared to some paint lines.

In my experience, it’s so thin that once it touches dry its over. You can spray the surface with a weak soapy water solution (a few drops in a spray bottle) and slide the graphic around. Then squeegee out the soapy water.

350BCD7E-A4AC-4068-B253-4EECBE4B4D1A.jpg
3M striping and lettering. I used the soap water squeegee method. Very easy. It can be easily removed with light sweep of heat gun if you mess up. I designed lettering on diylettering.com

Attachments

• 350BCD7E-A4AC-4068-B253-4EECBE4B4D1A.jpg
    350BCD7E-A4AC-4068-B253-4EECBE4B4D1A.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 108
Having never used the stuff, I’m a bit confused. Is it more than just an adhesive backing on the tape? What’s this soap and water squeegee method you speak of? Also, do they shrink after several months on the plane?

If it is done correctly it looks great.

IMG_1986.jpg
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_2002.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1986.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 610
It’s adhesive with backing tape, but the water trick allows positioning it to exactly where you want it then squeegee the water out….it works fantastic. The sign shop even said if I messed up they would send replacement letters and numbers free…just pay shipping. I bought a pretty big roll of each color striping because I’m going to strips my floats the same way. No shrinkage or peeling….I glanced over it very lightly and carefully with a heat gun in spots I thought might be more apt to lift. Ver very cafefully.

Back