Thread: ski bumps or ski fly supported places in AK

Post Thanks / Like

ski bumps or ski fly supported places in AK

Hi there,

looking for advice/suggestions/recommendations regarding suitable landing and take off areas for a super cub to support some powder skiing in AK in march/april next year.
    Ideally flying up - Skier drop off followed by pick up at the bottom of the run until both get bored . Ideally the runs are easy to medium to reduce avalanche risk.
    Preferably it is within a 80nm radius from Willow eg Neacola/Tordrillo Mtns, Talkeetna Mtns, Knik area or northern Chugach as part of Matanuska valley...
    I do know a few places in the Wrangells and at Thompson Pass/Valdez but those are outside of my radius.
    It is planned for two pilots taking turns in flying and skiing...
    Appreciate any advice or hints for people who might know and are willing to talk.

Best Axel

Post Thanks / Like
    A bit outside your radius, but I know of a couple spots Iíve done that on the Harding Ice Field... One super tame (landing areas and skiing terrain), and one quite a bit bigger and potentially wilder, depending on your line. Iím hoping for good snow this year without too much wind- Iím just dipping a toe into it myself...
    Last edited by ak49flyer; 10-07-2021 at 01:32 AM.
    Likes Axel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Half the fun of ski flying is looking for places to have fun on! I like to get turned around and see how long I can keep it on the snow before "excessive" speed launches me again, about 1/2 mile is my best as of yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skis3 005.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	57783  
    Likes Axel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lo-o-ove the Tordrillos, though any of the above ranges are going to have options. It's going to depend in part on recent snow and, more importantly, recent wind. The Talkeetnas were trouble last spring for avalanche danger, but the Tordrillos seemed a bit more stable. But if you keep it under 30 degrees (which is really a pretty shallow slope angle), then you'll be safe. It's really got to be between 30-45 degrees to slide under all but the most extreme conditions.

I'd say your best bet is to just fly around a bit and find a spot that looks like it will work. I've only skied the Tordrillos three of four times so far, and each time we've ended up in a different spot primarily due to wind drifting. Each time I've planned to return to a previous spot, only to find the snow unfriendly to land on. So we went a valley or two further and found beautiful snow. Part of the fun is exploring new places, though!

Thanks Axel thanked for this post
    Likes courierguy, alaskadrifter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah Harding Icefield must be great....just a bit far
    the fotos look superb...do not need to get convinced but superb motivation...
    here is something I use to scout a bit from the distance ie Triumvirate and Hayesglacier area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVAqiRi4Qe8

what I am really looking for is one place for safe toplanding and bottom pick up with a cub and a powder line for skiing inbetween.
    Yes I will have my skins with me but honestly after about 3000feet altitude gain in alpine tour mode per day I am physically done usually...

of course...scouting and searching on site is great fun but typically I get lost in the beauty of the landscape then and tend to drift away from my objective ....luxury problems so to speak
    Likes mixer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A nephew in Fairbanks sent me a video last year of him riding up to a summit on his snowmachine, then after he turned it around he gave it a kick and it followed it's track back down the mountain, deadstick. THEN, he launched his para glider and ended up landing by the machine, pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post

what I am really looking for is one place for safe toplanding and bottom pick up with a cub and a powder line for skiing inbetween.
    Yes I will have my skins with me but honestly after about 3000feet altitude gain in alpine tour mode per day I am physically done usually...

of course...scouting and searching on site is great fun but typically I get lost in the beauty of the landscape then and tend to drift away from my objective ....luxury problems so to speak
    yeah that’s what I do- I’m too lazy to skin/hike very far, and you can do a lot more runs per day flying back up- just requires at least 2 pilots...
    Thanks Axel thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    ...outside AK my ski flying is textile based only - however
    Empty Weight 5.8lbs
    Take off and landing distance - a few feet only
    Also the procedure is a bit different compared to the cub
    "backward take off into the wind"
    turn and fly
    full flaps landing
    and it easily fits into the back pack when alpine touring...
    sorry for the distracting post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4175.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	57823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4168.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	57822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2222.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	57824
    Thanks resi thanked for this post
    Likes Brian M liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The one thing that would make me a little nervous about taking laps with another pilot is that it would really reduce the response time on an avalanche burial. Those risks can be mitigated with terrain selection, of course, but it would still be a consideration for me.
    Likes ak49flyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep- stay at the top with your skis/board until your buddy is safely at the bottom, then jump in the plane and go get him...
    Likes Brian M liked this post