• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Weights and other numbers

LisaWi

Between Lake of the Woods and Lake Huron
My friends and I-- between us we have an Aeronca, a Champ, two Luscombes, a T-craft, and three Pipers-- have heard and seen a lot of speculation and opinion that is not based on real world numbers, believe it or not a LOT of what's out there isn't accurate-- so I thought that I would start.

The Snow Owl was born 60 years ago in Osceola Wisconsin as a 7FC with a build number south of 405. She was a trainer for two flight schools before a kind soul in possession of a copy of Service Letter 48 and drawing 3-839 decided to fix her most obvious defect. Making her a 1450 pound gross weight 7EC "CONV." Soon after that she was given metal spars from Rochester and new Poly Fiber. Painted in Cub off-white she became the Snow Owl. Although that term wasn't used until I met her.

She has her own idiosyncrasies. The radios sit inexplicably in prime real estate. Very nearly centered in the low panel right beneath the chrome "Champion" script leaving plenty of room to the right for a flat diamond containing the the airspeed and altimeter. With the key switch over the light switch in between them. The compass plays "which of these things are not like the other" in a crowded, lopsided, pyramid atop the oil temp and oil pressure gauges which themselves sit atop a dual volt-amp gauge, a dual CHT/EGT gauge, and the tachometer.

The
main electrical switch is mixed in with the temperature gauges while the compass correction card hides in the far left corner. Fuel gauges are in the wing roots. The passenger has a stick and rudder pedals, but the only throttle is located over the pilot's left leg. When flying one shouldn't confuse it with the identical knob over the pilot's right leg which controls the carburetor heat. Smaller knobs in between control "Marvel's" mixture and cabin heat.

The 26 gallons evenly split between the left and right wings provide 4:00 plus a 0:45 reserve after warming up, taking off, and climbing to 4000 or so. With a 72/37 prop she is fast for what she is. But at 1420 pounds, she doesn't break any records for initial rate of climb. Spinning at 2400 rpm-- by my (possibly incorrect) calculation-- the C-90-12F only puts out 83 or so ponies for take-off, and 55 to 60 hp at 90 to 100 mph, while burning 4.5 to 5.0 gph at 2100 to 2200 rpm in cruise.

She's nice and light and I've never actually needed all of my theoretical 542 pounds of useful load. In fact, I need to carry a little weight in the baggage compartment to get the numbers to come out right whenever I fly without a passenger. If I could reach the throttle I'd just ignore the placard and fly her like a Cubby from the back seat when I'm alone which would simply confirm the common belief that The Snow Owl is a Piper Cub.

Lisa

Last edited:
Back