• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Carbon cub EX fuselage repair in SoCal

Just John

I’m hoping to get some suggestions for fuselage repair after a ground loop the right forward gear attach point is bent 1/2-3/4”. Hoping to find someone with a jig or other suggestions to ensure it’s square.

Thanks,

JJ

Put it on a pickup truck and take it to Yakima? Doubt you will find an MX jig down here, but there is a good welder at Fla-Bob. There is a good welder here, but he just charged ten grand for a gear problem.

That was my first thought. CC told me that they don’t do repairs and it would be cheaper to buy a replacement fuselage. They also said that a super cub jig should work as the PA-18 gear is a direct bolt on. He basically ignored me when I asked about the restoration services that they advertise on the website…

On a different note, the CC 340 engine is back ordered until April 2023 so I will be putting a lycon built O-320 on it and looking for a good right wing for the original EX, if anyone happens to have one?

Is your crank bent? Why do you need an entire engine instead of just a prop strike inspection? As far as the fuselage goes, a decent rag and tube welder should be able to fix that without a jig, if damage is confined to what you describe.

Put the gear on with the new fitting, square it up and tack weld it in place, check and finish weld. Cub Crafters Services is probably 1.5-2 years behind. You can buy parts and repair yourself. Just finished replacing the rear spar in this FX3 wing.
PXL_20211004_213604011.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211004_213604011.jpg
    PXL_20211004_213604011.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 525
I agree, they can be repaired without a jig. Hopefully your floor is still good. That is an expensive part!

I agree, they can be repaired without a jig. Hopefully your floor is still good. That is an expensive part!

Thanks for the replies. I basically bought a EX that had been damaged from a ground loop and am starting the rebuild process now. The the floor is perfect, the left wing tip was ground down a bit but is repairable, one of the elevators is scuffed a little bit, other than that the fabric is great and the cowl is perfect. The previous owner kept the engine, prop and avionics for his new EX-2 build. Instead of waiting for a -340 I figured I could put a -320 on that has similar HP but it might weigh a little more? I’ll do what I can to keep it light, but in the end it should be a little cheaper. I know the -320 sump is taller and may interfere so I was thinking about adding the sky dynamics oil sump and cold air intake to make up for it. Any thoughts or experience with that system or using a -320 would be appreciated!

JJ

Back