Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Carbon cub EX fuselage repair in SoCal

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon cub EX fuselage repair in SoCal

Iím hoping to get some suggestions for fuselage repair after a ground loop the right forward gear attach point is bent 1/2-3/4Ē. Hoping to find someone with a jig or other suggestions to ensure itís square.

Thanks,

JJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Put it on a pickup truck and take it to Yakima? Doubt you will find an MX jig down here, but there is a good welder at Fla-Bob. There is a good welder here, but he just charged ten grand for a gear problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was my first thought. CC told me that they don’t do repairs and it would be cheaper to buy a replacement fuselage. They also said that a super cub jig should work as the PA-18 gear is a direct bolt on. He basically ignored me when I asked about the restoration services that they advertise on the website…

On a different note, the CC 340 engine is back ordered until April 2023 so I will be putting a lycon built O-320 on it and looking for a good right wing for the original EX, if anyone happens to have one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Is your crank bent? Why do you need an entire engine instead of just a prop strike inspection? As far as the fuselage goes, a decent rag and tube welder should be able to fix that without a jig, if damage is confined to what you describe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put the gear on with the new fitting, square it up and tack weld it in place, check and finish weld. Cub Crafters Services is probably 1.5-2 years behind. You can buy parts and repair yourself. Just finished replacing the rear spar in this FX3 wing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211004_213604011.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	57752
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, they can be repaired without a jig. Hopefully your floor is still good. That is an expensive part!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a right wing. PM me if you’re interested.
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gahi View Post
    I agree, they can be repaired without a jig. Hopefully your floor is still good. That is an expensive part!
    Thanks for the replies. I basically bought a EX that had been damaged from a ground loop and am starting the rebuild process now. The the floor is perfect, the left wing tip was ground down a bit but is repairable, one of the elevators is scuffed a little bit, other than that the fabric is great and the cowl is perfect. The previous owner kept the engine, prop and avionics for his new EX-2 build. Instead of waiting for a -340 I figured I could put a -320 on that has similar HP but it might weigh a little more? Iíll do what I can to keep it light, but in the end it should be a little cheaper. I know the -320 sump is taller and may interfere so I was thinking about adding the sky dynamics oil sump and cold air intake to make up for it. Any thoughts or experience with that system or using a -320 would be appreciated!

JJ