• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rotec radial engine on a Cub?

Mike von S.

Has anyone installed a Rotec R2800 (7 cylinders, 110 hp) on a Cub?

When I search these forums I only get R2800 skis and bushtires for radial.

Why not, it might be fun. This is a J-3P with a Lenape engine.

iu
iu

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/ae0aecbca42009eb862572c9006edb1b/$FILE/TC695.pdf

Last edited:
Jim Booth, who posts on here frequently, is building a four place "Cub" homebuilt, with that engine. Maybe Jim will post some photos, last I was in his hangar, the airframe skeleton was done, and I think the engine was hung.

MTV

Didn't Jim also do a PA-12 with a 180hp radial on it? I seem to remember someone around here was fond of that engine.

PA12 with Warner 165
5597B355-72EB-47B8-9656-D9DEE10BDFAF.jpeg
PA14 with Rotec 150 hp
6F177C23-380B-49D0-A968-8D9D0760F385.jpg

Attachments

• 5597B355-72EB-47B8-9656-D9DEE10BDFAF.jpeg
    5597B355-72EB-47B8-9656-D9DEE10BDFAF.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 6F177C23-380B-49D0-A968-8D9D0760F385.jpg
    6F177C23-380B-49D0-A968-8D9D0760F385.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 168
Yes, it is. It has mostly been redone. It is now on it’s third engine since then. It’s wings have been rebuilt with the addition of PSTOL flaps, tail feathers redone, addition of Montana Floats, Carbon fiber prop, new interior, new tanks, new windshield, new panel etc.

I have been told there wee some issues with the Rotec radial from someone who built an airplane with one.

I do not know anyone that has had a good experience with that engine. I know a few that have had very bad experiences with them though.

We tried to get several of their Throttle Body units to work properly over the years. They are all in my scrap metal box and I use them when I need aluminum machining stock for brackets or tools.

I have been told there wee some issues with the Rotec radial from someone who built an airplane with one.

I do not know anyone that has had a good experience with that engine. I know a few that have had very bad experiences with them though.
That's interesting. Are either of you able to expand on that information? Are there issues with the basic engine or is there something which can be fixed by changing to another brand or type of accessories?

Steve Wolf built the Samson Mite with a Rotec, but didn't like it for some reason and changed to a Verner.

I’ve seen two Rotec radials fail. Pulled the pilot out of wreck from the second failure. Was lucky to be alive. After the first failure, they sent him a replacement motor. After the second failure, they offered the same treatment. Good customer service it sounds like, but….

I’ve seen two Rotec radials fail. Pulled the pilot out of wreck from the second failure. Was lucky to be alive. After the first failure, they sent him a replacement motor. After the second failure, they offered the same treatment. Good customer service it sounds like, but….
I know of a few youtube videos explaining the problems with the engines. It seems like big time quality control issues.

Just Highlander.jpg

Not a Cub but saw this one on a Highlander last weekend at Thompson Field in Maine.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• Just Highlander.jpg
    Just Highlander.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I knew about Steve's and his is one I was mentioning. He is lucky to have made it back to the field. The other one failed in the same/ similar manner and that owner is trying to resolve the issue with the manufacturer so I will respect the situation. It is possible the issues are fixed with newer engines. Both issues involved failure of the planetary gear reduction and associated parts.
As far as I have heard the Verner is working great in the little Samson Mite.

Rotec seems to have gotten the message re. the planetary gear reduction and some other parts. in 2018 I sent my R2800 back to the factory in OZ to be overhauled. It had less than 10 hours use, but was one of their early examples, built I think in 2001 or 2002. (Heads milled from billet alu, for example.) Here's the list of things they did, many of which they took upon themselves without asking or charging extra, including the upgrade to the planetary gear. Given the very low time on the engine, other of these unrequested upgrades/replacements, such oil drain manifold, case studs, cam drive, lifter bushes, sump and impeller fan probably indicate where problems had become apparent in the fleet.

[FONT=&quot]Apart from general maintenance and servicing the following items were[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]changed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*New bearings and seals all over.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*New hoses and rubber all over.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*New oil drain manifold TIG steel plated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* All gears in the redrive upgraded to case hardened gear sets.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* All studs replaced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*Cam ring replaced with integral gear and drive plate cam drive[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Gaskets for the exhaust and inlet manifolds added.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*Magneto coil and rotor upgrade[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* TBI upgrade[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*Lifter bushes replaced with one piece type.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*Mini sump replaced with o-ring version.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Interlink hoses replaced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*Engine fuel pump and engine scavenger pump upgraded.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*Oil fittings replaced.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*New impeller fan.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To this list was added:[/FONT]

• New stainless exhaust collector ring
  • New rocker covers
  • New auxiliary electric oil scavenge system

Verners have been very well received - so far. Large displacement and direct drive makes them simpler and lighter than the equivalent Rotec.
However, total hours in the fleet are still low, so the jury is still out.
Many of us were disappointed that they stopped production of their two smallest radials, the 3 and the 5V, a year ago. These would be perfect for many light, single place homebuilts (including one I am building). They are focusing now exclusively on their larger models: 5S, 7U and 9U.

Back