• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Takeoff Noise on Super Cub. Anyone ever measure it in dB?

Ington6

I would love to land in my backyard on a regular basis and get it registered as a restricted landing strip. However it is going to be an uphill battle with the town and neighbors. My first step would be to have an accurate understanding of the noise and be able to compare it to another allowed use. IE a tractor. I was hoping someone knew more or less the amount of noise emitted. Preferably 150 or 160 hp but I’ll take any data I can get. Thank you!

Best thing to do is get somebody to take off from there (once) in a C185 --
the neighbors won't even notice your SC after that.

I'll bet the City of Santa Monica has an accurate reading on just about every airplane operated out of there. Used to be a couple Super Cub fish spotters operated out of there.....would be worst case, since those guys always left HEAVY.

MTV

A lot of variables on which super cub... exhaust differences, prop differences...

sj

An airplane can make less noise than a truck or Harley going by on the highway,
but guess which one the neighbors are gonna bitch about.

Had this issue a couple of times. It helps A LOT if you take neighbors for a ride (from an airport, not your place) and fly over their property, etc. A little bit of P R maybe before you even mention a possible strip on your place.

Had this issue a couple of times. It helps A LOT if you take neighbors for a ride (from an airport, not your place) and fly over their property, etc. A little bit of P R maybe before you even mention a possible strip on your place.

absolutely. The problem is that it is a subdivision technically... with 5 members. A few of the lots aren’t sold yet and so the neighbors don’t exist yet. I would have to adjust the hoa docs to allow for the strip. So I’m worried they won’t go for the hoa language because it could devalue the unsold lots. Serious uphill battle.

Airpark lots command premium prices where I live.

I have a noise meter and can check a few Cubs at takeoff. It won't be very scientifically relevant but it'll give you some idea.

Airpark lots command premium prices where I live.

I have a noise meter and can check a few Cubs at takeoff. It won't be very scientifically relevant but it'll give you some idea.

Can't speak for anywhere except Alaska and the area around Houston, TX, but my experience personally and professionally is that (as long as the acreage is reasonable) turning a development into an airpark development (if the homes either border or have direct access to the strip) increases the valuation by usually north of 25%....particularly once the first round of resales happens.

I’ve had to mess with this a bit through obtaining a field approval for a prop. Although this is for an admittedly different purpose, you might find these documents helpful: ICAO doc 9501 Environmental Technical Manual (mostly section 5) and AC150/5020-1 Noise Control and Compatibility Planning for Airports.

If nothing else, you can glass their eyes with fancy math.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

You can download apps for the iPhone that will measure sound levels. Search for "decibel" in the app store.

I know that the ATV's and UTV's that transit the gravel road above my place, make more noise (and longer in duration) then a well flown low level buzz job, (meaning, speed built up, in a slight descent as they go by, not a full power climb out) whether it be Rotax or Lycoming.

Sensenich is suppose to come here and do the STC flight testing and noise tests on their ground adjustable prop on the 150 hp and 160 hp Super Cub. It will be comparitive testing between the different props so will be interesting to see.

An airplane can make less noise than a truck or Harley going by on the highway,
but guess which one the neighbors are gonna bitch about.

For what it worth.... below is a backup slide I prepared for the Vermont State Transportation public hearing to approve my airfield. I didn't have to use it as the State decided to regulate noise by limiting approach speeds to 50 knots.???
It gives a fairly good comparison with other noises but as hotrod180 notes, the other loud noises are "acceptable". The field was approved ; )

•Full Power - Take Off
–Estimated Between 79.3 to 88 Decibels (dB)
•No Formal Measurement For Carbon Cub
–Sister Aircraft From Same Manufacturer – X Cub Similar 180 hp engine
•FAA Certification Test = 79.3 Decibels
–Comparative Noise dB
»Power Mower 96 dB, Motorcycle @ 25’ 90 dB, Food Blender 88 dB, Diesel Truck @ 40 mph @ 50’ 84 dB, Garbage Disposal 80 dB, Passenger Car @ 65 mph @ 25’ 77 dB.
www.industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples
•Good Neighbor Philosophy
–Basin Harbor or Middlebury Airports
» Practice Fields

Do you have Cub Field that I’ve read so much about?? Or Bailey? If so, I stopped by Cub field the other day and checked it out on my way north to Burlington. Gorgeous strip! I’m in Vermont too.

i didn’t see a slide attached to the post and that link didn’t work. Maybe I’m missing something.

Last edited:
Do you have Cub Field that I’ve read so much about?? Or Bailey? If so, I stopped by Cub field the other day and checked it out on my way north to Burlington. Gorgeous strip! I’m in Vermont too.

i didn’t see a slide attached to the post and that link didn’t work. Maybe I’m missing something.

Yes. Thanks. Cub Field. 47VT. I’ll try again, pasting a PowerPoint slide was challenging. I’ll try again. Where in Vermont are you?

I’m down in Manchester currently but I’m in Burlington quite often. I just sent you a private message.

Back