Thread: Arkanstol results

Post Thanks / Like

Arkanstol results

So, what happened? Did the event take place? Did everyone have fun?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rumor has it a Legend Cub won, but not many details are out. Normally there is a YouTube out to watch, but not yet that I have seen

Post Thanks / Like
    Light Sport was dominated by Jared Newman(Carbon cub SS), Jaden’s father, followed by Eddie Sanches (Highlander) and Jaden (Carbon cub SS).

The Bush class’s top two were separated by .5 seconds or so. Brian Steck (Legend MOAC variant) followed by Austin Clemens (Husky A1C beta prop) and 3rd was maybe a 340 powered superstol or a newer Husky.

Touring was won by Chad Breuer (maule m4-5) followed by 172s or a 175.

The times will look a lot quicker than last yr as the course was shortened by deleting the teardrop turn back into the 6-700’ strip. It basically turned into a STOL drag from one end to the other helping the big engine planes and handicapping the lower power more maneuverable planes.
    Thanks aflyer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We were discussing the stol events the other day and I had the thought that there should be a stol event where all the airplanes were loaded to gross weight then compete. Be more of a real life competition. Not many bush planes leave the field with 5 gallons of gas and nothing else.
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done a gross weight STOL event and it is a major pain in the ass!! First every plane must be run across the scales, then you need to add sandbags (how many 50 lb bags does it take to get 30 planes to gross?) get in line and go over the scales again. Once you land get back in line and pull out sand bags. Now figure out how to do that with every class flying and keep ground movement from parking to scales/loading/heat standby/post flying unload/back to parking without a major traffic jam. A lot of hassle just to see planes take longer to get off and land!! Then you have the question of what is the gross weight of a 1951 PA18A is it 1500, 1750, 2,000, 2070. Keep it simple, talk smack, BE SAFE, go have fun, talk some more smack. DENNY
    Likes KevinJ, tedwaltman1, jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    I have done a gross weight STOL event and it is a major pain in the ass!! First every plane must be run across the scales, then you need to add sandbags (how many 50 lb bags does it take to get 30 planes to gross?) get in line and go over the scales again. Once you land get back in line and pull out sand bags. Now figure out how to do that with every class flying and keep ground movement from parking to scales/loading/heat standby/post flying unload/back to parking without a major traffic jam. A lot of hassle just to see planes take longer to get off and land!! Then you have the question of what is the gross weight of a 1951 PA18A is it 1500, 1750, 2,000, 2070. Keep it simple, talk smack, BE SAFE, go have fun, talk some more smack. DENNY
    Combine all that with the issue of properly securing all those sand bags in the event of an accident. For me, when flying on the ragged edge, I don’t want anything in the cabin that could come loose and hit me in the back of the head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of gross weight, you could just do full fuel or full fuel and 1 passenger. Be at least a little closer to real world