• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Cyclone Owner. It’s Official

stewartb

Bushliner acquires Cyclone!

As of 10/01/2021 Aircraft Remanufacturing Co, Inc DBA Bushliner Aircraft has acquired Cyclone- an experimental clone of the legendary Cessna 180/185 that can be amateur built from a kit, without FAA oversight.

ARC will begin offering the kit in 2022.

ARC will now offer two models of Bushliner:

Bushliner Cessna 180/185 (Certified Cessna overhaul)

Bushliner Cyclone and Super Cyclone (Experimental Cessna 180/185 clone)

Both aircraft are equivalent to new and essentially identical. The Cyclone features an extended 38' wing with 1' added to each flap area, and 112 gallons of fuel.

All existing modifications such as floats, skis, Wing-X, VG's, engines, etc. fit both aircraft.

With the acquisition, ARC now possesses the molds and tooling to fabricate direct replacement parts for the Cessna 180/185, and will be PMA'ing these parts to support the existing fleet. (Such as ailerons, elevators, gearboxes, ribs, spars, etc)

More info to come.

(Lower right of page in the blue area)

https://bushliner.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St-Just_Super-Cyclone

If they can get PMAs for replacement parts and assemblies their certificated business should grow as well. This is good news for Skywagon guys whether exp or certified.

How much fun would an exp Skywagon build be? Assuming you have the funds. I admit the thought of selling my Cessna to build an exp Cyclone has crossed my mind. If I got $200K I’d be almost half way there! If I was 10 years younger it’d be a no-brainer.

Last edited:
That is great news. Do you suppose they will support existing kits that are already being built? Hopefully they will rewrite the build manual and make it something useful and more specific. The original build manual is guidelines at best, the builder is basically on there own with hopefully help from knowledgeable Cessna builders. I am enjoying my build but did not get the back spar square on my first wing so the flap doesn’t travel fulling and the flap doesn’t line up with the wing, soooo back in the jig to decifer the best method to square the rear spar! I hope bushliner can make a better kit and manual!

If my read on Kyle is correct? Call him. He’ll learn as much about the old kit deficiencies as you’ll learn how to fix them.

Interesting- I’ve always wanted to try a 206 wing on a 180/185. Anyone know of there is a structural reason for the reshaped rear windows on the cyclones? To my Cessna-conditioned eye they’re ugly...

Interesting- I’ve always wanted to try a 206 wing on a 180/185.
I've wondered about that as well considering the nice big flaps. However, I seem to recall in discussions with a friend who was a Cessna test pilot that there would need to be some major changes to the horizontal tail to compensate. Something to do with trim which is why the 206 has a trim tab. At least that is what I am remembering.

I always figured the late model 206’s tail was wider because of gross weight and that it’s fixed. At 2’2” narrower the full trimming Skywagon tail is more efficient. Doug Keller is said to have tried 206 wings on a Skywagon. I’ve never heard any reports of the results.

A comment on Facebook says there will be an option for the old 2 window look for the Cyclone. I never noticed the 3rd window being smaller. There’s lots of initial excitement about the kit on social media. I can’t help but wonder what a finished plane will cost. I’m sure we’ll be seeing exp Skywagons doing what exp Cubs have done, which is to set new records for how much money guys can sink into a plane!

I talked to a gentleman in North Dakota that knew of a 180 with 206 wings that ended up in Alaska. He indicated that it is still flying and tried to buy it from the owner whom was not interested in selling. Soooo I would say it has been done.

The detail most Skywagon guys won’t compromise on is manual vs electric flaps. The perception of high performance is defined in fractions of seconds. Electric flaps require seconds. It would be fun to try it, though.

There is no reason the 206 wings on a 185 couldn't have manual flaps other than maybe they would require more force to deploy.

I will say I was taking off in a small 950 foot pond with a 206 when it was not going to make it on the PK floats. Selected full flaps to pop off then back again quickly. It worked fast enough.

I LOVED the 206s electric flaps working those airplanes. Land on a gravel bar, just prior to touch, reach over and select “Flaps Up”. Same as Pete…..they don’t move as “sudden” as manual, but if you learn to work them…..

MTV

I wish Bushliner well with this new aspect of their business.
I do hope they don't grow too quickly & spread themselves too thin.
I know a guy who's having them rebuild his 180,
it's going on two years & as far as I know it isn't done yet.
The pics I've seen look great, but I'm withholding any accolades until I see some finished airplanes--
in other words, until they have a track record.

I wish Bushliner well with this new aspect of their business.
I do hope they don't grow too quickly & spread themselves too thin.
I know a guy who's having them rebuild his 180,
it's going on two years & as far as I know it isn't done yet.
The pics I've seen look great, but I'm withholding any accolades until I see some finished airplanes--
in other words, until they have a track record.

That would be me! It’s down to the final stretch.

Early 206's had the small tail and high gross.

206 flaps are 109" long, cessna 18X is 77" long.

206 has friess type ailerons. I forget the name of the ailerons that are hinged at the top on the 100 series cessnas.

Tim

Back