• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Arkanstol Crashes

Any time you enter a competition, you are accepting a degree of risk. Look at the number of accidents in all phases of motorsports! Not to many people talk about shutting down NASCAR or NHRA when there is an accident. It is all part of competition, especially when you get to the upper edges of performance and technology. Face it, we have all likely done stupid things in our flying careers. As a result, some of us learn not to do the same stupid stuff, or invest in more capable/safer equipment. Doesn't matter age, gender, or anything else. Look at what guys on the motocross circuit do. They all started in their backyards with old motorcycles and have grown the sport to a very exciting one that on occasion has a wreck where someone gets hurt or killed. Flying in these competitions is no different, except there is a much smaller field of players and spectators.

Racing requires lots of protection, dirt biking we wear lots of protection. Airplanes are not designed to be wreck in most cases, designed to be light! That 3rd dimension is the one that is not very forgiving.

It will weed out the stupid though so maybe that is a good thing.

Greg, I was the same way when I arrived at ArkanSTOL last year and heard the hoopla about Jaden. I watched her fly all week and her handling of the airplane and consistency gained my respect. Spent quite a bit of time with her folks as well. They are not like Jessica Dubroff's parents at all.

Well she may be great gal and her parents may be great too. It seems like I saw some out of sorts landings with her in some video but maybe I am wrong. I am guessing if she wants a career in aviation these contests will fall by the wayside for her. Too much risk for little reward.
How many people go out and practice accelerated stalls, then add in close to the ground when it really counts. I know for myself my worst landings were always followed by a bad, short rushed approach. I do know about low altitude and tight turns and I never try to rush through it. I am not sure how a contest that promotes this is helping build good skills... It may be fun and I do go out and practice tight turns to landing etc. but never trying to do it as quick as I can. I may land 20 or 30 times in an hour but most are just popping up to the next spot.

It does seem like a very high number of crashes for a single event. Valdez has been going on for how long and not had more than a handful of nose-overs? Even the slow flight event at Talkeetna was extremely risky and subsequently cancelled and it had one crash. 3 crashes in a single event seems like it's a bit excessive and the safety aspect of these fast and short approaches should be considered.

Jaden has a Hawker or Beechjet job right now if memory serves me right. I’m guessing she’ll be a 30yrld captain at one of the majors if she decides to follow that path. Will she eventually wad a cub up? Probably, her amount of exposure is greater than most. Is she the real deal, yes.

SuperCub MD, yes you can bring you turbine…..if your balls are big enough;-) I may give you my spot if the teardrop back to the 600’ strip isn’t put back in play.

The other answer to your question….the prize is a pewter trophy for a five day commitment and the promise of being ridiculed by the masses for any major screwup.

Last edited:
Perhaps it would make more sense to navigate to a GPS fix or something XXXX above the ground and then come back and land.

A good friend of mine crashed their cub. Probably would not be here if it wasn't a part 23 top cub. The dried blood all over the airplane made a lasting impression for me.

Tim

I think it is incumbent on event organizers, pilots, and spectators to be involved and worry about the safety aspect of events. I have participated in STOL events for several years now. Pilots will land and pull off to the side turning back to see the plane behind them land with the nose right on the edge of the runway leaving no room for error when the next plane lands. I have seen spectators/event pilots try to park for the day right next to to the landing area even after being told to avoid the area. Spectators will get as close as possible to the line and also leave no room for error. Pilots prior to or after their heat will pull in front of spectators to watch other planes land blocking the spectators' view. It is nice to say that the PIC should know how to fly but the truth is many just don't know what they don't know and do not have the skills for serious low level flying. Everyone can work together to make it better/safer or we can just wait and let the FAA get involved.
DENNY

The other answer to your question….the prize is a pewter trophy for a five day commitment and the promise of being ridiculed by the masses for any major screwup.[/QUOTE]

For those who are dealers for the kitplane they are flying, the trophy is not the goal, "STOL buzz" on the internet is.....this makes it a somewhat serious business for them when they compete, as opposed to just playing around in a friendly competition. They are not going halfway across the country to these events JUST for kicks, they are also promoting whatever brand of aircraft they make their living at selling/building. Nothing wrong with that of course, just saying it's not just all fun and games but also business. And... I have several dirt cheap plastic and tin trophies and placards that probably cost a buck or two to produce, but try and take one off my hangar wall, they are priceless!

The other answer to your question….the prize is a pewter trophy for a five day commitment and the promise of being ridiculed by the masses for any major screwup.

For those who are dealers for the kitplane they are flying, the trophy is not the goal, "STOL buzz" on the internet is.....this makes it a somewhat serious business for them when they compete, as opposed to just playing around in a friendly competition. They are not going halfway across the country to these events JUST for kicks, they are also promoting whatever brand of aircraft they make their living at selling/building. Nothing wrong with that of course, just saying it's not just all fun and games but also business. And... I have several dirt cheap plastic and tin trophies and placards that probably cost a buck or two to produce, but try and take one off my hangar wall, they are priceless!

Interesting! No doubt Steve Henry is selling Just Aircraft, no hiding the fact he is a dealer. The other big players in the STOL competition world are Cub Crafters, Aviat Husky and Legend Cub. I wonder if Jaden (and several others are being subsidized but CC?) I wonder if Austin is sponsored/subsidized by Aviat, same for the legend pilots. Not any of our business, but interesting to contemplate.

Tom, you are right, selling planes is a big business and the companies definitely have a vested interest in their planes doing well.

Just my $00.02, I have no dog in this hunt.

I have met Steve a couple of times and he is a pretty humble guy. Yes he flies a particular brand name aircraft and is a dealer, but I doubt any subsidies.

Once someone sponsors something I'm sure they can incurr some sort of liability. Profit margins for kit manufactures are mostly likely very thin. The case of Steve's Just Aircraft, I would argue that it is so highly modified that Just Aircraft would have gas pains subsidizing that (let alone the potential legal issues).

But it is GREAT advertizing when their planes (all manufacturers) do well.

Been there myself, back in my hang gliding and ultralight dealership days. Friendly competitions were always somewhat serious business, still friendly, still fun, but for sure also seriously good for the winners in pushing wings out the door. This has been going on since the Wright Bro. and Glenn Curtiss (the man with 2 extra letters in his name) days and is not likely to change soon! I too doubt Steve is sponsored by Just Aircraft, at least officially or directly, but just like Hal Stockman building motors, he is there to #1 win. #2 Promote the biz. Since I've been strictly a private/no biz related flier for decades now, I'm always a bit surprised how seriously I still take the little fun competitions! This plaque was later engraved: ON the line!

Attachments

• 5562.jpeg
    5562.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
In the case of Steve, his dealership benefits for sure, I was not in his case saying the aircraft manufacturer would be subsidizing him. In the other cases…. The jury is out

I gotcha, my point was just a generalized statement on the responsibility that could be incurred by a sponsor.

Just a data point (noyhing else); Steve lives and is home based out of the next town from me. I know of one other newly built Just aircraft in the area (we get $100 hamburgers sometimes). So I'm sure these competitors can benefit somehow (good for them) if they do well in the contest. But (homebuilders are a tight group) I don't see a bunch on Just aircraft being built in the area (RV's, Jarvons, ....... yes)

Now I do think that brand recoginition exposure is greatly inhanced which is good for all.

Again, just a data point, and agree the jury is out. The good news is, people are attracked to this style of airplane competition and provides nice exposure for GA & Experimental. I believe it's just a question of how long this shinny object will keep it's luster.

Last edited:
Recently watched that video of the Arkansas contest. Ag guys make a living maneuvering low every day, but not like that. Glad those folks have fun and put on a good show. Above my pay grade, doesn’t seem conducive to a long career in aviation.

Back