Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkanstol Crashes

Post Thanks / Like

Arkanstol Crashes

Looks like they had to make some changes. Too many incidents.
    https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/new...trauma-center/
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    That rag isn't even fit to line my cat litter box.

The lack of ethics and respect that magazine shows is so beneath what aviation people should be, it should not even be discussed among aviators.

I have read more than one 'report' they have done that reads just like the National Inquirer- innuendo and supposition. They don't care about facts, or truth- just a media rag playing on emotion and speculation.

As far as the event mentioned, unbelievable how fly-ins have gone from fun times with like minded people gathering, to high school drama queens crying because they can not have it all their way all the time.

Better when a bunch of no-bodies got together and razzed each other as they took their everyday plane and gave it a shot. Now everyone wants to be famous, and have turned a cool activity into nothing more than a swinging d##k contest.

If I have offended the sensibilities of this site, please delete my post Steves
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Thanks AKaaron thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Tangle, I hear you’d lose that swinging d##k contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Farmboy, alaskadrifter, nanook, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Tangle, I hear you’d lose that swinging d##k contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey uncle, Have not heard from you in a coona&& age, how you doing??

I know for sure you can land much shorter than I, Kirby posted a video of you stopping in nothing, and just hovering up and going again... so yup, I would be the loser!!

How is life?

Post Thanks / Like
    George, I didn't know that you had a cat...

They have made the local media quite a bit this year as well. I hope the eventfulness of the event is over for this year!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes jrussl, flylowslow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    George, I didn't know that you had a cat...

They have made the local media quite a bit this year as well. I hope the eventfulness of the event is over for this year!

sj
    I have Kat, which is a Novia Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever... Lyn has two cats.

If you would bring your beautiful bride to visit and photograph Bald Eagles, (and not us that are losing hair), you could meet the cats and Kat!

May the event be a positive for aviation, and may people be safe.

Best of luck for all you guys flying this weekend.
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    From someone that was there it sounds like the Highlander pilot is going to loose his foot. That turn deserves some respect as does landing short and having to get v=back out over power lines and trees. Lots of different factors at play for sure.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Also spoke to someone at the event. They indicated that the course was modified to eliminate the turn that was causing many of the crashes. I’m glad they made the change.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    I was a volunteer at last year’s event. I sat at the top of Grit and watched that wifferdill turn many times. I saw a lot of hanging it out and overshot finals. I also saw one crash in that turn. One guy would have run thru our area if he had not intentionally groundlooped it. I was signed up to compete but it is not a 180 course with that turn. Could I have done it? Probably but I would not have enjoyed it. I opted out. Risk versus reward.
    Last edited by Eddie Foy; 10-03-2021 at 10:39 AM.
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    This sure reminds me of my dear old instructors words---" REMEMBER---There are some things you just don't have to do." Kinda like my first trip to Johnson Crick. Went with several folks to (mile High) one fine morning and opted to just watch from high above. Was thinking ---1000 miles from home---reasonable sure it would be o.k.---BUT---what IF ??? ---fly safe you'all----geezer Dan
    Thanks RVBottomly, bda thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, I think these events are great fun for spectators and competition alike, but the safety aspect will play a role. Personally, I'm not a big fan of watching planes doing hard maneuvers close to the ground. I lost too many friends that were airshow pilots that were good at Aerobatics, but ultimately lost when they made contact with the ground. Low level aerobatics are for the ghouls that want to see wrecks and something I can't enjoy anymore. If the accident rates at these events get too high and pilots are getting maimed or killed, the promoters won't be able to insure the event.

This kind of event tends to police itself. Pilot gets injured or killed. Pilot or family sue the promoter/facility to pay the medical bills or support the family. Insurance pays off the lawsuit or promoter goes broke defending himself. Promoter/facility can't get insurance anymore or it is prohibitively expensive. They will have to work at making it safer, or eventually won't be able to host such competitions. And the insurance companies won't cover any similar events or will have limits on what the events can be. Chances are that few of the competitors carry hull insurance, so aircraft insurance rates aren't likely to be impacted. But event insurance will kill the events if the high accident continues.

-Cub Builder
    Thanks Deepseat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That brings up a question I have: What do insurance companies look at when setting rates for different types of aircraft? Do they only look at claims, or do they look at accident statistics, and base their rates for a particular make/model on the accident statistics for that make/model or similar?

It seems to me that they would look at ALL accidents of a particular type when insuring an airplane of that type, but does anyone have actual factual information on this?

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    That brings up a question I have: What do insurance companies look at when setting rates for different types of aircraft? Do they only look at claims, or do they look at accident statistics, and base their rates for a particular make/model on the accident statistics for that make/model or similar?

It seems to me that they would look at ALL accidents of a particular type when insuring an airplane of that type, but does anyone have actual factual information on this?

MTV
    Both. They look at individual claims, not just accident rates including the configuration you fly it in (skis, floats etc). Except it's not the insurance companies themselves, it seems that it's the underwriters, of which there are only about a dozen nationwide for aviation insurance policies according to a recent seminar I went to. It's an important distinction in places Alaska where many things that would qualify as accidents go unreported in the NTSB database but end up on an insurance adjuster's desk. The exact formula seems to be a closely guarded secret sauce though, no one wants to divulge exactly how the premiums are calculated. I don't know if the info could result in age discrimination lawsuits or something, but it's definitely not something they want to share with the general public.
    Likes stid2677 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
    Both. They look at individual claims, not just accident rates including the configuration you fly it in (skis, floats etc). Except it's not the insurance companies themselves, it seems that it's the underwriters, of which there are only about a dozen nationwide for aviation insurance policies according to a recent seminar I went to. It's an important distinction in places Alaska where many things that would qualify as accidents go unreported in the NTSB database but end up on an insurance adjuster's desk. The exact formula seems to be a closely guarded secret sauce though, no one wants to divulge exactly how the premiums are calculated. I don't know if the info could result in age discrimination lawsuits or something, but it's definitely not something they want to share with the general public.
    My point is, I’ve now read on various forums since this accident that “Since most insurance policies specifically exclude claims from this type of “competition”, therefore any accidents which occur at these “competitions” won’t have any effect on others’ insurance rates.

I don’t know whether that’s true, but I seriously doubt insurance companies are going to parse out these rather rare incidents when developing accident rates for a make/model/type.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    My point is, I’ve now read on various forums since this accident that “Since most insurance policies specifically exclude claims from this type of “competition”, therefore any accidents which occur at these “competitions” won’t have any effect on others’ insurance rates.

I don’t know whether that’s true, but I seriously doubt insurance companies are going to parse out these rather rare incidents when developing accident rates for a make/model/type.

MTV
    I don't know if any of the insurers would divulge whether or not they take accidents that didn't result in valid claim and/or payout into account when determining premiums. At the BWI seminar I attended they sure didn't want to or just weren't able to tell anyone the answer to questions like that. The only thing I really learned is that 50 hours in type seems to be required for a new policy insuring a tailwheel airplane going forward. It's an interesting point though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom line, it is bad for us GA guys.

Accidents and injuries make people fear flying, and insurance companies that insure these events may be the very ones insuring the aircraft- or a partner.

Reno survived the P-51 going through the stands... lets hope us off airport guys survive the yahoos competing

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of all the competitions over the years how many accidents have there been? I know of a few nose overs. I know of more from practicing.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity, I just read my policy, and there is no exclusion for competitions, fly ins, STOL events, etc.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the residence of the people throwing the biggest fit with Byrds. Every time there’s an accident they call the local news station. It’s been an ongoing deal for many years I’m told. Apparently they are difficult to reason with. Surprising…..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A9D7B08-1AFF-4800-8E8E-463E8E35462D.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	57723
    Last edited by KevinJ; 10-04-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity, I just read my policy, and there is no exclusion for competitions, fly ins, STOL events, etc.

MTV
    I just looked mine up, Avemco policy. One exclusion stood out:

"f. closed course racing, or practicing or qualifying for a race;"

No definition of "race," but I bet they think this event is a race.
    Likes CharlieN, soyAnarchisto liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    From someone that was there it sounds like the Highlander pilot is going to loose his foot. That turn deserves some respect as does landing short and having to get v=back out over power lines and trees. Lots of different factors at play for sure.
    Prayers for the Highlander pilot. Out having a good day with his buddies and runs into a life changing event. Just a sad sad deal.
    http://thrustline.com/

Takeoffs are optional--Landings are mandatory
    Likes WayneK49, Steve Pierce, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion, to many uninformed (ignorant) people posting opinions about this event on social media. I flew the event last year. It does demand respect but it was also loads of fun. There were 3 accidents this year, one flipped over. The pilot told me he wasn't on his game, had a tailwind and forced it on. Stuff happens. The 220 degree turn between Grit and Traveler is where the Scout last year and the Kitfox and the Highlander went in this year. It demands respect. Not hard to widen your turn and use altitude and then slip it down onto the strip. So much misinformation via social media this past week. Made me sick to my stomach reading comments from fellow aviators. I just love it when others tell me I can't do something to save me from myself. Maybe it isn't ready for prime time. Maybe just a select few and not an advertised event. I don't know the answer but I am thoroughly disappointed in lots of my fellow aviators over this event on several different issues that I will not discuss here. It is a shame because I had a blast last year.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks tedwaltman1, Colorado-Cub, FdxLou thanked for this post
    Likes Narwhal, Willie, jhickstx, Colorguns, KevinJ and 9 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "I just love it when others tell me I can't do something to save me from myself." I laughed out loud when I read this part. If ANYONE needs saving from themselves...

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes Steve Pierce, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RVBottomly View Post
    I just looked mine up, Avemco policy. One exclusion stood out:

"f. closed course racing, or practicing or qualifying for a race;"

No definition of "race," but I bet they think this event is a race.
    Mines AVEMCO as well. No such mention. I guess they figure I’m too far gone to be racing…..or I have the slowest plane…

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    "I just love it when others tell me I can't do something to save me from myself." I laughed out loud when I read this part. If ANYONE needs saving from themselves...

sj
    Well, there is that but you have to admit the time between incidence and the seriousness is fewer and further between.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes SJ, AkPA/18, RaisedByWolves, 39-J3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mines AVEMCO as well. No such mention. I guess they figure I’m too far gone to be racing…..or I have the slowest plane…

MTV
    Right. Mine is almost but not quite as fast as a stock Taylorcraft.

As for the pilot, he updated his condition on social media. Says prognosis is good, he'll require a lot of surgery, but expects to fly again.
    Thanks AkPA/18 thanked for this post
    Likes Utah-Jay, courierguy, 39-J3, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Well, there is that but you have to admit the time between incidence and the seriousness is fewer and further between.
    That's what we call "Growth"....and that's a good thing.

MTV
    Likes SJ, Steve Pierce, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's supposed to be challenging, don't enter if you can't fly it without crashing. Or, tame it down so it's not challenging? Maybe a speed limit at Reno is next
    Likes KevinJ, ak49flyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's all fun until someone blows a finger off or gets an eye poked out as I have heard growing up. Sometimes we need saving from ourselves when were to stupid to know what can kill us.
    Many people enter these events with not enough time to know the seriousness of it. I saw video last year I think of the young gal competing against Steve Henry and I thought to myself her parents are nuts for letting her do it... trying to shave seconds off low altitude turns is a recipe for disaster. She was low time pilot and that combined with the frontal lobe not being fully formed was a danger to herself and the people on the ground. Maybe she has a natural ability but she is also to new at it to really know. Once a person has a chance to see what an airplane looks like totally F-uped with a guy that is barely alive in it then maybe they have respect.
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Any time you enter a competition, you are accepting a degree of risk. Look at the number of accidents in all phases of motorsports! Not to many people talk about shutting down NASCAR or NHRA when there is an accident. It is all part of competition, especially when you get to the upper edges of performance and technology. Face it, we have all likely done stupid things in our flying careers. As a result, some of us learn not to do the same stupid stuff, or invest in more capable/safer equipment. Doesn't matter age, gender, or anything else. Look at what guys on the motocross circuit do. They all started in their backyards with old motorcycles and have grown the sport to a very exciting one that on occasion has a wreck where someone gets hurt or killed. Flying in these competitions is no different, except there is a much smaller field of players and spectators.
    Likes adamgrenda, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Racing requires lots of protection, dirt biking we wear lots of protection. Airplanes are not designed to be wreck in most cases, designed to be light! That 3rd dimension is the one that is not very forgiving.

It will weed out the stupid though so maybe that is a good thing.
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post
    Likes adamgrenda, akavidflyer, aktango58 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, I was the same way when I arrived at ArkanSTOL last year and heard the hoopla about Jaden. I watched her fly all week and her handling of the airplane and consistency gained my respect. Spent quite a bit of time with her folks as well. They are not like Jessica Dubroff's parents at all.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Well she may be great gal and her parents may be great too. It seems like I saw some out of sorts landings with her in some video but maybe I am wrong. I am guessing if she wants a career in aviation these contests will fall by the wayside for her. Too much risk for little reward.
    How many people go out and practice accelerated stalls, then add in close to the ground when it really counts. I know for myself my worst landings were always followed by a bad, short rushed approach. I do know about low altitude and tight turns and I never try to rush through it. I am not sure how a contest that promotes this is helping build good skills... It may be fun and I do go out and practice tight turns to landing etc. but never trying to do it as quick as I can. I may land 20 or 30 times in an hour but most are just popping up to the next spot.
    Likes Crash, Jr., RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It does seem like a very high number of crashes for a single event. Valdez has been going on for how long and not had more than a handful of nose-overs? Even the slow flight event at Talkeetna was extremely risky and subsequently cancelled and it had one crash. 3 crashes in a single event seems like it's a bit excessive and the safety aspect of these fast and short approaches should be considered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaden has a Hawker or Beechjet job right now if memory serves me right. I’m guessing she’ll be a 30yrld captain at one of the majors if she decides to follow that path. Will she eventually wad a cub up? Probably, her amount of exposure is greater than most. Is she the real deal, yes.

SuperCub MD, yes you can bring you turbine…..if your balls are big enough I may give you my spot if the teardrop back to the 600’ strip isn’t put back in play.

The other answer to your question….the prize is a pewter trophy for a five day commitment and the promise of being ridiculed by the masses for any major screwup.
    Last edited by KevinJ; 10-06-2021 at 03:09 PM.
    Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps it would make more sense to navigate to a GPS fix or something XXXX above the ground and then come back and land.

A good friend of mine crashed their cub. Probably would not be here if it wasn't a part 23 top cub. The dried blood all over the airplane made a lasting impression for me.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is incumbent on event organizers, pilots, and spectators to be involved and worry about the safety aspect of events. I have participated in STOL events for several years now. Pilots will land and pull off to the side turning back to see the plane behind them land with the nose right on the edge of the runway leaving no room for error when the next plane lands. I have seen spectators/event pilots try to park for the day right next to to the landing area even after being told to avoid the area. Spectators will get as close as possible to the line and also leave no room for error. Pilots prior to or after their heat will pull in front of spectators to watch other planes land blocking the spectators' view. It is nice to say that the PIC should know how to fly but the truth is many just don't know what they don't know and do not have the skills for serious low level flying. Everyone can work together to make it better/safer or we can just wait and let the FAA get involved.
    DENNY
    Thanks CharlieN thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, Crash, Jr., flynlow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The other answer to your question….the prize is a pewter trophy for a five day commitment and the promise of being ridiculed by the masses for any major screwup.[/QUOTE]

For those who are dealers for the kitplane they are flying, the trophy is not the goal, "STOL buzz" on the internet is.....this makes it a somewhat serious business for them when they compete, as opposed to just playing around in a friendly competition. They are not going halfway across the country to these events JUST for kicks, they are also promoting whatever brand of aircraft they make their living at selling/building. Nothing wrong with that of course, just saying it's not just all fun and games but also business. And... I have several dirt cheap plastic and tin trophies and placards that probably cost a buck or two to produce, but try and take one off my hangar wall, they are priceless!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    The other answer to your question….the prize is a pewter trophy for a five day commitment and the promise of being ridiculed by the masses for any major screwup.

For those who are dealers for the kitplane they are flying, the trophy is not the goal, "STOL buzz" on the internet is.....this makes it a somewhat serious business for them when they compete, as opposed to just playing around in a friendly competition. They are not going halfway across the country to these events JUST for kicks, they are also promoting whatever brand of aircraft they make their living at selling/building. Nothing wrong with that of course, just saying it's not just all fun and games but also business. And... I have several dirt cheap plastic and tin trophies and placards that probably cost a buck or two to produce, but try and take one off my hangar wall, they are priceless!
    Interesting! No doubt Steve Henry is selling Just Aircraft, no hiding the fact he is a dealer. The other big players in the STOL competition world are Cub Crafters, Aviat Husky and Legend Cub. I wonder if Jaden (and several others are being subsidized but CC?) I wonder if Austin is sponsored/subsidized by Aviat, same for the legend pilots. Not any of our business, but interesting to contemplate.

Tom, you are right, selling planes is a big business and the companies definitely have a vested interest in their planes doing well.
    Bearhawk Companion QB Builder
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.instagram.com/jay_townsend_utah/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA
    Thanks hangarmonkey thanked for this post