• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

-12 fuselage covering question

TennesseeAndy

Just covered the fuselage with envelope and was not sure about the stitching (if any) on the tail. I saw one that had 2 individual stitches on the uppermost crossmember of the tail but it resulted in serious dimples. The stretched fabric sits maybe 3/4” off the tail frame at that point. Is there any standard? What do you guys do? Thanks in advance-
Andy

Four with a full length reinforcing and a two inch tape. Don’t use dollar patches. If you expand the picture, you can see before the tape went on. If you don’t stich it the fabric will drum from the prop wash. That’s why Piper did it.

8105879F-3709-4B4B-ACC8-8D250CB031D8.jpg

Attachments

• 8105879F-3709-4B4B-ACC8-8D250CB031D8.jpg
    8105879F-3709-4B4B-ACC8-8D250CB031D8.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 270
I've heard it said that the vert stab stitches pull out no matter what, but I disagree. I don't recall how many I put in, three or four, but they've never pulled out. As stated above, full length reinforcing tape. FWIW...

I have heard for years from people here that the stitching on the vertical stabilizer break but out of all the Cubs I have inspected over the years I have never found one broken. I stitch them per the Piper drawings.

Back