• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Congratulations Steve Pierce, Lone Star Nat’l STOL Champion

KevinJ

Canyon, tx
Pierce wore out those Husky’s this weekend. Outstanding performance……
1FE20B48-EC54-4A19-ADB2-0C1662528F7D.jpg
AAFDC642-34B8-4176-BDF1-CE13555F0A00.jpg

Attachments

• 1FE20B48-EC54-4A19-ADB2-0C1662528F7D.jpg
    1FE20B48-EC54-4A19-ADB2-0C1662528F7D.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 385
  • AAFDC642-34B8-4176-BDF1-CE13555F0A00.jpg
    AAFDC642-34B8-4176-BDF1-CE13555F0A00.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 353
Heck yeah that’s awesome. Did you win the outlaw class or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The old green A model got beat by 17’ to a carbon cub and a MOAC. Heck, I’m kind of thinking an A model is the Father of All Cubs;-)
Thanks again to BTV for letting me borrow it while mine was getting worked on.

Way to go Steve. All the real takeoffs and landings from sandbars apparently proved a point ie. aircraft control-well done

The only way Pierce could have been any shorter was to add two dogs to the back seat;-)

The old green A model got beat by 17’ to a carbon cub and a MOAC. Heck, I’m kind of thinking an A model is the Father of All Cubs;-)
Thanks again to BTV for letting me borrow it while mine was getting worked on.

I’m glad Steve was able to beat the husky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to go, Steve! Show ‘em how it’s done in Texas!!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Itwas a lot of fun but a hard fight. Friday qualifying had some windand Austin had me by 4 feet. The Super Cubs can smoke the Huskies onthe take off but that reversing prop is good at shortening up thelandings. On Saturday I double checked my tire pressures after thetemp went from 50s to 90 degrees and adjusted. Took everything outincluding the roll of toilet paper I keep in my under seat storagebox and my sun visor. Was leaving nothing to chance. Without havingto compete against Kevin and Tony I knew this was my shot at finallygetting first place plus I fly a beater Super Cub and wanted to beatAustin in the shiny Husky. I had also been trying a tail low take offwhich felt like might be working when I practiced it at home but somediscussion with Kevin and looking at the results from Friday I wentback to my tried and true method. It was hot (90 plus) and the windwas gone or would periodically come out of the east. Three runs andno way to know what any scores are. I kept remembering the finalround last year where Tony and I had identical take offs and myapproach was awesome until I scratched just forward of the line. Ihad Tony's voice in my head "just make it past the line". I was fifth in line of the flight of six and Austin was first, lastround and as I was abeam the line on downwind I heard them callAustin's landing a scratch, he never scratches. The air had been crapand all of a sudden my wing came up. Pressure is on, fly the damairplane. As I came down final the air was still bad and I wasworking every control and concentrating on keeping my spot on mywindshield. I hit my spot, dumped my flaps and got on the brakes.Wasn't my shortest landing but it wasn't my worst and I didn'tscratch. Taxiing back in front of the crowd I got a few thumbs up butlooking at others it was like poker face. I got to my camping spot,shut down got out and had just pulled the airplane into it's spotwhen Austin came over on his one wheel and congratulated me, he said"I think you beat me" at which I replied "are youserious?". He said his Dad called him on final and told him toreverse before the line which he did and he scratched. I told him hisDad should have left him alone that I was having to work my butt offdown final and he agreed. As I started walking towards the eventcommand center to verify distances Austin's Dad congratulated me aswell. Cathy and some good friends were at the command center and theysaid I won. I was pretty stoked but wanted verification. Doug Jacksonwho put all this together walked up and asked how I did and I toldhim the announcers had told everyone I won so he went in the motorhome and came out and said I got him by 17 feet. I couldn't believeit. My phone started blowing up with texts but I had to call Tony andtell him. He and I fly together every Sunday and talk this stuff allthe time. He was watching and I guess the feed was delayed so Ispoiled the end for him. Know on him he had a very clever comment butI was so stoked I can't remember what it was.

Thatevening after the awards as I was dragging a box of prizes from theFat Tire Cowboys and McFarlane Aviation and of course my new beltbuckle back to my camp Going I thought about how all of this startedmany years ago. Flying a friends 90 hp Super Cub and trying to learnall I could about it, finding SuperCub.org and becoming a sponge,maintaining and rebuilding Super Cubs and finally 7 years ago gettinga Super Cub of my own after having a Clipper and a Pacer. I rememberafter I got it and put the Bushwheels on Mark Englerth calling me andreminding me how Tom and I needed to have a safety meeting everydaybefore we flew and telling him about the voice in my head as I headedwest to the gravel bars that told me I had to fly this airplane backtoday. I have learned so much from so many people here over the yearsfrom maintaining, rebuilding and flying but the biggest thing hasbeen the friendships. It has been a helluva a ride so far. Iappreciate everyone's comments.

Oh,and the Baby Bushwheel and dog seat went back in yesterday and all isright with the world for Chewy. This airplane can't go anywherewithout him, or so he thinks.

I took this as I was waiting for the third round to start, nervous energy I guess. Was gonna send it to SJ to show him I finally wore the shirt he gave me several years ago but then they started moving and forgot I had taken it.

PXL_20210925_184923193.jpg

The Prize. :smile: Yea, it is a Texas thing I guess.
PXL_20210927_132220672.jpg

Chewy's world is back to normal.
PXL_20210926_210012927.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210925_184923193.jpg
    PXL_20210925_184923193.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 1,423
  • PXL_20210927_132220672.jpg
    PXL_20210927_132220672.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1,416
  • PXL_20210926_210012927.jpg
    PXL_20210926_210012927.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,398
Steve, thanks for the play-by-play of how it went for you. Very gracious and humble in your thanks and credits to those who helped you along the way.
Living vicariously through your narrative

Wayne

Steve, congratulations!

I had a great time watching you from the video production console as we were streaming the event … I had to run a slow-mo replay to be sure you hadn’t scratched, it was *that* close. Then I looked over at Tom and said “Look at that, the not-so-pretty Super Cub spanked that shiny expensive Husky!”

Good job Steve, haven't been a fan of watching the whole reversing prop the last year or two. Score one for the good guys!

Steve, congratulations!

I had a great time watching you from the video production console as we were streaming the event … I had to run a slow-mo replay to be sure you hadn’t scratched, it was *that* close. Then I looked over at Tom and said “Look at that, the not-so-pretty Super Cub spanked that shiny expensive Husky!”
Enjoyed meeting and visiting with you. We are just jaded Super Cub owners. ;) I was in my tent changing into shorts and heard a couple of guys walk by and say " that's a real Super Cub, looks like it gets rode hard and put up wet". I'd love to have a pretty one but all it takes is time and money. 8)

Good job Steve, haven't been a fan of watching the whole reversing prop the last year or two. Score one for the good guys!
Austin is a good kid and I enjoy being around him. There are people who give me $hit for having the P STOL flaps and the advantage they give me. It was fun to beat him though. ;)

Back