• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help Me Decide

Ahh there are experimental planes that provide all new boundaries.

I started to build a Thatcher CX5, but decided my back would deal nicely with the rigors of crawling in, out, and about enough to complete it. And besides, I wanted to fly, not build. Hence, my search. But then, we’ve climbed into and out of that design, so maybe I can find one that’s been completed.

We’ve already had a go at the Zenith 750. We fit and the specs should have made that one work - however, the builder had used an O-320, which drove up the empty weight, driving the useful load down to a level we couldn’t live with. The plane really wants Rotax 912 or ULPower, not an O-320. So, with a more suitable power plant, that one could be back in the running.

Not familiar with the Super Coupe you are building. For my edification, can you provide me with a web site?

Alan

So my parents are 75 and 76…. Mom has pretty bad arthritis in her knees.. She has an extremely hard time getting into the Super Cub without help and the Pacer is impossible since with only the one door dad can not help her in since he has to get in first..

We recently picked up a Cessna 172XP that sat for 13 years.. been resurrecting it to include a new interior… we tested it to see if mom can get in it easier and she can with minimal help… Point being that you need to decide on ease of entry with your choices..

Brian

Very good data, and appreciated. You have hit our conundrum square on the head, and that investigation process is at the center of our search.

Alan

I started to build a Thatcher CX5,

We’ve already had a go at the Zenith 750.

Not familiar with the Super Coupe you are building. For my edification, can you provide me with a web site?

Alan

Thatcher's are neat, but not for everyone, well nothing is really.
I doubt I would like that much weight up front on a Zenith.

My build is a look a like of a Piper J4, it just has little in common with the original, which I also have.

Have you considered an RV6? More of a common mans plane.

From what you've described your mission being, a 172 fits the bill, is affordable to own, and is easy to get serviced. That being said, depending on your budget, there are lots 'cooler' choices out there.
What sort of budget do you have in mind?

Thatcher's are neat, but not for everyone, well nothing is really.
I doubt I would like that much weight up front on a Zenith.

My build is a look a like of a Piper J4, it just has little in common with the original, which I also have.

Have you considered an RV6? More of a common mans plane.

I had a RV 6 and you step into the cockpit after a looongdtep up on wing.
Getting out takes upperbody strength to hoist yourself up while getting your legs under you

I have a RV 8 and after rotater cuff surgery it was a while before i could struggle out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Humm, My last time in an RV I had full use of both arms. My shoulder surgery back in '15 only provided hope, Bone spurs just keep on growing and I have about 30% of the AC tendon left.

Without knowing the size and abilities (or the intended airports) of the OP, I'd have to go with the suggestions of 172. I love my -12 but a 350 mile trip is a major event: I infrequently see 90mph (granted, climb prop, big tires, fat pilot, etc) on the ASI and I'd anticipate a 4 hour trip for 350 miles, even without addressing weather / wind issues. Similarly, I'm a decent sized guy, relatively limber for 60+, but I have to follow a process to get into my -12...less of a process to get out, but still it ain't easy. Lots of room in the -12 but one runs out of legal GW at some point.

If a bush plane is not needed and the 172 doesn't fit the bill for some reason, I'd suggest the tri-pacer...gets a little closer to fitting the mission. My wife loved to fly in the -12 earlier, but nowadays, if she doesn't want to do anything that precludes her from spending time with the GK's....and that includes flying in the -12. And...even in a nice, wide -12, have to agree with Stewart, the only knitting would likely be a barf bag. Right, wrong, or otherwise, a barf bag was always in the pouch for the rear seat passenger to use. Hard to make any sort of comparison, but my -12 seems to get hit pretty hard in thermals or other sorts of turbulence.

FWIW, I'm still trying to see my way clear to get a 180/185/possibly Maule in addition to the -12 because of: 1) the -12 is darn slow for any trips over 100 miles or so; 2) real seats for more than 1 passenger would be good; and 3) a little more legal GW / Useful Load would be beneficial. If one's mission is primarily to go on 350 mile trips to see the GK's, as great as a -12 (or the Supercub) is, I'd suggest something else.

My suggestion would be one of the more powerful Cherokee versions - I have Cubs (J-3 and highly modified J-5) but I was persuaded to buy a 67 Cherokee 235 a few years ago and what a revelation that has been. Mine is quite well equipped with autopilot and a Garmin 430 so a bit heavy but still has a legal payload of 1350lbs and a 6 - 7 hour range at 125 knots. The single entry exit door is not the best but when I had a knee injury I discovered that you can just swing that door all the way forward, sit down onto the front of the wing and get in that way. Not a SC of course but with the 250hp mod it operates easily out of 450 yards. All this for what - around $50k?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The back seat of a tandem plane is not so comfortable for the better half in turbulence. My wife is a pilot, won't fly my Cub from the front seat and gets sick in rough air in the back. When she is miserable so am I. Clippers and Pacers are great airplanes, try one on. They are a bit narrow for some. She has an early Tri-Pacer but is a bit tight for me when she is flying with the seat all the way forward. We wanted more room and speed and bought a 1958 182A.

Sounds like you are open to experimental airplanes. Have you looked at the Murphy Rebel or Elite? They are SxS and quite roomy inside. Doors on both sides and while not the easiest to get in/out, not overly difficult.
Rebel at Home.jpg

Attachments

• Rebel at Home.jpg
    Rebel at Home.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 85
I appears that 172s, like everything else, have really gone up in price. My price range? I really need need to keep things below $80k for my IRA to be comfortable. My fear is that I have missed my window for plane ownership.

Alan

My suggestion would be one of the more powerful Cherokee versions - I have Cubs (J-3 and highly modified J-5) but I was persuaded to buy a 67 Cherokee 235 a few years ago and what a revelation that has been. Mine is quite well equipped with autopilot and a Garmin 430 so a bit heavy but still has a legal payload of 1350lbs and a 6 - 7 hour range at 125 knots. The single entry exit door is not the best but when I had a knee injury I discovered that you can just swing that door all the way forward, sit down onto the front of the wing and get in that way. Not a SC of course but with the 250hp mod it operates easily out of 450 yards. All this for what - around $50k?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I’ve been looking at Warriors; I’ll extend my search radius to include Cherokees.

Alan

I went through this exact dilemma about two years ago. Wife and I were both 73 at the time. I really wanted a PA12 but after instructing a new owner in his, I realized she was not going to be able to negotiate the rear seat. I had a Legend Cub and she could get in and out back then but it was a struggle. My next choice was a C170B. I found a nice one with low time and I upgraded all the avionics, Garmin audio panel, GNX 375 ADSB with traffic and weather, one Garmin Nav Comm and one Comm only. All antennas etc. I still have less than $80K in it. I don’t do any Bush flying but it goes 120 mph and flys like a 172. It just looks better. Also, it is a taildragger, which is why it looks better. :)

Rich

Attachments

• 280252D2-DA8E-4073-A676-D4BC65ECE6F4.jpeg
    280252D2-DA8E-4073-A676-D4BC65ECE6F4.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 81
  • C84BECC2-6B09-4CA5-9140-EC028B17AC97.jpeg
    C84BECC2-6B09-4CA5-9140-EC028B17AC97.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 82
I agree with Stewart and Steve Pierce in regard to the back seats of tandem aircraft being a VERY bad place for knitting....or anything other than looking out the windows. Unless your spouse has a cast iron stomach, that back seat can be a really evil place, and about the first time the technicolor yawn results, that'll be the end of that airplane as a mode of transport....even to grand kids.

At your price point, I suspect you're looking at a very good Stinson, a pretty ratty 172, or a fair Cherokee. $80 K isn't going to get you much in the way of long wing Pipers. A short wing Piper (Pacer or Tri Pacer) MAY fit the bill, but those cabins are fairly narrow.....I'd try one on for size before I committed.

Hard to beat a good Cherokee. Basically same airfoil as a Cub, easy to fly, easy to maintain, and one of the most bomb proof planes ever built.

MTV

More pictures.

Attachments

• C173D7DD-3501-41CA-B8B5-7E40EBEB6C67.jpeg
    C173D7DD-3501-41CA-B8B5-7E40EBEB6C67.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 7B6F7C4E-C0D1-49B4-8F62-5B50CE121F01.jpeg
    7B6F7C4E-C0D1-49B4-8F62-5B50CE121F01.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 78
Hard to beat a good Cherokee. Basically same airfoil as a Cub, easy to fly, easy to maintain, and one of the most bomb proof planes ever built.

MTV
Different airfoil, the Cub uses a modified USA-35B and the Cherokee uses a NACA 65(2)-415. Here is a discussion:
https://charles-oneill.com/blog/cherokee-tapered-wing-float/

I went through this exact dilemma about two years ago. Wife and I were both 73 at the time. I really wanted a PA12 but after instructing a new owner in his, I realized she was not going to be able to negotiate the rear seat. I had a Legend Cub and she could get in and out back then but it was a struggle. My next choice was a C170B. I found a nice one with low time and I upgraded all the avionics, Garmin audio panel, GNX 375 ADSB with traffic and weather, one Garmin Nav Comm and one Comm only. All antennas etc. I still have less than $80K in it. I don’t do any Bush flying but it goes 120 mph and flys like a 172. It just looks better. Also, it is a taildragger, which is why it looks better. :)

Rich

I appreciate the suggestion and will keep it in mind. Nice looking plane!

Alan

Rich

That's an excellent choice as well. Values are skyrocketing on good 170B's right now so if you can find a good one for under 70k it's a full on buy. Even with an O-300. The little O-300 gets a bad rap for being underpowered but if STOL isn't part of the mission for the plane then that 150 horse works just fine. They're based on a C-90/O-200 with another bank of cylinders added so they're relatively cheap to maintain and get parts for since they share cylinders and many other parts with the small 4 cyl continentals. Of course if money allows then the O-360 conversion turns the 170 into a real performer.

As far as back seat knitting in a tandem; the back seat really is like riding in the bed of a pickup truck. The front seat is in the middle of the flight axis so the rear seat moves up/down/laterally quite a ways when the plane moves around which makes for some airsickness. The back seat in a PA-12 really is nice to sit in for longer periods though given the air isn't very rough.

Different airfoil, the Cub uses a modified USA-35B and the Cherokee uses a NACA 65(2)-415. Here is a discussion:
https://charles-oneill.com/blog/cherokee-tapered-wing-float/

Interesting, thanks, Pete. In any case, any of those planes have pretty good manners. And, they are all tough as nails.

MTV

"The back seat in a PA-12 really is nice to sit in for longer periods though given the air isn't very rough."

Flew the -12 from Los Anchorage to McCarthy with the wife in the back some years ago...beautiful sunny day in late June, daylight forever, no wind, etc: Depart Anchorage, great trip to about Eureka area, then cutting across we hit consistent thermals....I'm too PO'd at the thermals to be at all queasy, as far as the wife, thank goodness for the barf bag in the back.

Tolerable stay in McCarthy, time comes to head back: Me: "Weather's a bit cloudy and windy, might be rough through the pass" Wife: "It's OK, we have to get back" (which we did have to). Once again, uneventful trip to a bit S/W of Eureka, then we hit the pass area....no skit there's wind and bad bumps all the way to turning south over Palmer. I'm fairly PO'd as well as being a bit nervous so no time to feel ill, but for the wife? Once again, out comes the bag.

After that, it takes fast talking to get her to go with my any further than say Talkeetna, Palmer, or Girdwood. The back seat in a 12 is much more comfortable than the rear seat in a Cub (or -14) but it's not a good place during any sort of bumps.

A 170B would be a good choice as well as the Exp's, Pacers, and Cherokees mentioned.

Back