• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

People

I remember these kinds of things back then, and I remember them from last week. Still very relevant, thanks, Pete!

sj

Faith in our country

Kinda like the courtesy cars you find waiting for you at remote airports after hours, or the lady in Indiana who said, "you can send me a check for the fuel when you get back home in a few days," or the fact that my neighbors act normal, and the fact that all the local churches are full on Sunday mornings. Can't change the facts. The bad stuff is the exception. Thanks for posting.

There was a gas station with a remote pump 1/2 mike away and the owner asked me how much gas i got. He said if you trust people they are surprisingly honest

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Based on all the comments I reckon it was a good post, but I do not do FB.

Along the lines of the send a check for the gas… I was in Hamburg, Germany earlier this year and was walking about looking for a place to eat and came across a Turkish restaurant. I have always liked Turkish food and it was packed (outside dining only due to Covid) so I waited my turn, ordered and handed over my credit card to pay. He spoke no english and my German is pretty poor, but he was saying they only took cash. He waved his hand to the effect take the food and come back and pay when you I can. It was a GREAT meal. I had also inadvertently left my ATM card back in the states. I walked the mile back to the hotel, talked them into charging 50 euro to my room for the cash. I walked back and paid for my lunch. I ate there 4 more times that week.

Treat people as you want to be treated.

Based on all the comments I reckon it was a good post, but I do not do FB.

Along the lines of the send a check for the gas… I was in Hamburg, Germany earlier this year and was walking about looking for a place to eat and came across a Turkish restaurant. I have always liked Turkish food and it was packed (outside dining only due to Covid) so I waited my turn, ordered and handed over my credit card to pay. He spoke no english and my German is pretty poor, but he was saying they only took cash. He waved his hand to the effect take the food and come back and pay when you I can. It was a GREAT meal. I had also inadvertently left my ATM card back in the states. I walked the mile back to the hotel, talked them into charging 50 euro to my room for the cash. I walked back and paid for my lunch. I ate there 4 more times that week.

Treat people as you want to be treated.

I don’t do Facebook either, but was able to see the video. Just clicked on the link.

A couple of years ago I was fishing up in Marcell Mn. I wanted to go to a small lake I heard about but since it had no boat launch, I needed to rent a small boat. Someone in Marcell said go up to Big Fork that they rented them there. I found the place and went in to inquire about renting a Jon boat. The owner pointed to one and said go load it up. I came back in to fill out the rental paperwork. He just laughed and said pay me when you get done with it. I looked at him a little puzzled and he grinned and said you'll bring it back. He was right of course and when I settled up for the boat I said you sure are trusting, you didn't even ask for my name. Another short laugh and he said that's how we do things around here. He's what this thread is about.

Several years ago, I was enroute to OSH in my PA-11. First day I got to southern Minnesota. Stopped at 6 o’clock at a fairly large airport. They were locking up, and no card lock system.

So, I looked at the chart and not far was Waseca, MN. Former home of Herter’s Worlds Finest! I remembered hours perusing their catalogs as a kid. So, off I went.

I arrived, pulled up to the pumps, and noted a padlock on the pumps…..dang! So, went inside used the restroom and looked around. Nothing locked up, offices open, etc. Found a sign that said “Call this number if you need gas after hours.” I did. Guy answered and said he was at his grandson’s baseball game, so couldn’t come out. I said I was spending the night, so could fuel in the AM. Nope, he was leaving town early…..

So, he told me where the key to the pumps was, and told me to leave a note on his desk with my name and address and the amount of gas I took.. I asked how I’d pay…he said he’d send me a bill.

I topped off (with auto gas, they have car gas and 100LL) left a note, spent the night in a hotel nearby, and when I got home there was a bill from Waseca…..cheapest gas of the trip.

ive tried to stop there if practical since. And they’re always friendly. But no more Herter’s Worlds Finest…..dang!

MTV

Way back when I had started a restoration business, This entails finishing construction of the facilities Etc. I and a pilot had made many scouting trips around the country to buy a few planes of interest for the owner of the land. One of the key items of interest was to buy a Spartan Executive, many of you guys in the Northeast know the plane and Doug who was the pilot for me. At the time, out of the 25 of this make that still exist, 6 were available. It was up to me to decide which. Flew out to look at every one. I chose one in Tucson, not because it was the cleanest or best, it was the most original. It had been Frank Tallman's plane of choice when he bought the large batch after WW2.
After many flights out west over the next 6 weeks as this plane was gone through, I also bought a taperwing Waco from the same guy.
Once the plane was ready to go and the weather was right, I received a "same day check" and paid for it the afternoon of the final decision. That was new to me.
Next day we fueled all 7 tanks and off we went, eastbound along the southern border. That load of fuel brought up well into Texas, flat sand and oil derricks as far as the eye can see from 10K up. A single runway showed up in our path, a runway with a row of hangars was the only structures I recall in site. As we were approaching a twin was climbing out, by the time we found the fuel pump that twin was coming back in for landing.
Takes awhile to fill an Executive, the guy who came back in was the airport owner as well as owner of many of the oil rigs in the region.
Builds were not locked so we had facilities.
When we were done I handed him my credit card, he did not take it, he said he had only a local card service. My mind is now going WTH am I going to do, I had a few hundred in my pocket. The owner handed me his business card and said send me a check when you get home. I did.
It was two more days of flying to get home and two more loads of fuel with more great experiences but the trust and honesty of that experience has always been on my mind.
That Spartan is in Paris now, it was flown there. Must be stories from that flight. It had been in service in Hawaii before and during WW2.
I sure remember buying that load of fuel even after thirty or so years.

A more current story: Last Friday, 9/17, I was returning from Bismarck, ND in my SC. I stopped in Quanah, Texas for fuel after a 5.5 hour flight from Norton, Ks. One more 3.5 hr leg and I would be home. I put my card in the SS pump and when I turned on the pump handle, fuel began to gush out of the in line filter. I shut it off, tried tightening the filter, but still no luck. A nice lady passing by called the city and 4 guys showed up right away. They removed and reinstalled the filter, then using a city credit card, pumped my belly tank full of fuel, as a test they said. I gave them some of my left over peanut butter cookies, which made them real happy.

Those guys were some of the nicest city employees I have ever met.

Back