• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Kudos to Garmin

stewartb

For kicks I requested an ADS-B report from the FAA website. It had flight duration and altitudes correct so obviously had me but there were two failures in the report. Me, not knowing much about radio jargon, had no idea whet it meant so I sent an email to Garmin’s G3Xpert tech support. In a few hours I had a response and instructions for how to set my TXP configuration to correct the problem. Great support without making me feel stupid. Two thumbs up for G3Xpert. These guys know their stuff.

Attachments

• 0A571672-156D-43FC-99A5-DD632DCB8372.png
    0A571672-156D-43FC-99A5-DD632DCB8372.png
    267.5 KB · Views: 163
I think its probably a good idea to get an ADSB report
( adsbperformance.faa.gov )
every once in a while, just to make sure its reporting properly.
Costs nothing, and might save some grief down the road.
I do it every couple months.
I also like to get an occasional mode c check from the Navy controllers at nearby NAS Whidbey for the same reason.

I never applied for a rebate so I never did the prove-up flight to check the system. It's always seemed to work fine but Monday I had a Cub coming opposite direction over Knik Arm and he knew somebody was in front of him but not where until he establish a visual. I had him the whole time. There was never anything close to a conflict but I know what it's like for the ADS-B to flash traffic without the normal position info so I wanted to figure out what was missing. The other oddity was the readout said I was not an ADS-B client but I still got TIS-B translation of my buddy's mode C and tracked him all the way home. The report confirmed that I've been missing something probably since flight one, and the FAA has never sent me any notice of deficiency. Garmin understood the problem and now it's fixed. Anyone who's configured a G3X knows that it's easy to select an incorrect box, which apparently I had done.

PS- I like ADS-B. I still watch for the no-transponder guys and it gets easier when you can weed out the planes the ADS-B is painting. And sort of like anti-collision lights, I like being identified to planes that are using ADS-B In, even if they aren't broadcasting Out.

Last edited:
Back