Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cattle on runway

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, water is an insulator. Pure water. Conductivity depends on what is in it. Like salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by 180Marty View Post
    I've thought about sticking the ground wire from the fencer into the creek running through the pasture. Seems that would be pretty good.
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    The dog and I were walking up from the bottom of the place this morning, and I spotted some activity about 1000' away, something had just jumped the far corner of the barbed wire fence. I looked a bit closer, while still walking uphill, and it appeared to be a moose. Not unknown at all around here but also not a everyday event. About the same time I zeroed in on it, it zeroed in on me, and immediately started directly towards me. No biggie, it'll veer off I thought, it kept coming, and when it disappeared for a few seconds in a swale, I decided to haul ass back downhill. When I stopped and turned around it was just walking into the tree line, about 75' away. His behavior seemed aggressive to me, (I felt real exposed and vulnerable anyway, with no where to hide or climb, right out in the open, down lower there was some things I could, maybe, climb)maybe curious also? Anyway, he (a big bull) may have been responsible for past fence breaks. You moose experts, did I do good by running away, or should I have stood my ground and made myself big, which has worked for mountain lion and black bear close encounters for me?
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was on a narrow strip of land on Lobster Lake in Maine when I heard a lot of noise splashing in the swamp heading in my direction. I hid behind a tree. It was a Moose. When it appeared to be coming directly in my direction and fairly close, I stepped out from behind the tree and said in a loud voice "Hold it Moose that's close enough." The Moose turned around and trotted away. I was a bit nervous as I didn't know what else to do. They are intimidating.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    (...) You moose experts, did I do good by running away, or should I have stood my ground and made myself big, which has worked for mountain lion and black bear close encounters for me?
    Not a moose expert, but had plenty of encounters. Considering this is the rutting season, the big bull might have thought of you as a competing bull, or a cow.
    Neither would have led to a good outcome, so running away was prudent.
    Thanks courierguy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s the trouble with Kansas , no moose ☹️
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AKClimber View Post
    Not a moose expert, but had plenty of encounters. Considering this is the rutting season, the big bull might have thought of you as a competing bull, or a cow.
    Neither would have led to a good outcome, so running away was prudent.
    He most likely thought I was another bull, just from the way I carry myself and general aura, no way am I subscribing to the girly moose scenario! No good outcome either way if he had caught up with me. Close inspection later of the e fence showed he didn't disturb it, interesting as in places it's just bare wires and hard to see, he must have stepped over it. I imagine that like with bears and cougars, just making a bit of noise while on a trail is a good idea, let them know you're coming and they'll get out of the way. I will do so in a few minutes, as the path thru the trees is twist and has poor sight lines, and I'll have the dog walk point.
    Likes 1934A, Colorado-Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    Actually, water is an insulator. Pure water. Conductivity depends on what is in it. Like salt water.
    Yeah, and all the creeks around 180Marty’s place flow exclusively with deionized water.
    Speedo
    Likes kirkangus liked this post