Thread: 185 vortex generators

Post Thanks / Like

185 vortex generators

So I recently installed Micro VGs on my Cub and noticed a great improvement. Thoroughly pleased.

Would I expect the same if I installed them on my 185

F model on amphibs, long range tanks. No other STOL mods. Stock wing tips

or is it a waste and should spend the $$$ and go with a full STOL kit with VGs

Post Thanks / Like
    Big improvement on my otherwise stock Camberlift wings.
    Thanks 180Marty thanked for this post
    Likes Bill.Brine liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    So I recently installed Micro VGs on my Cub and noticed a great improvement. Thoroughly pleased.

Would I expect the same if I installed them on my 185

F model on amphibs, long range tanks. No other STOL mods. Stock wing tips

or is it a waste and should spend the $$$ and go with a full STOL kit with VGs
    My experience with adding VGs on three Cessna wings was that they sort of mellow out the stall, but not enough that I’d do it again. One of those planes had an early stock wing, one had a Bush leading edge kit, the last has a Sportsman cuff.

the VGs “mellowed” the stall a bit on all three.

But, hands down, THE BEST aerodynamic thing you can do for a Cessna wing is add the Sportsman kit. I put a couple thousand hours on a 185 with a RSTOL kit. Management wanted to try a Sportsman kit on one of our 185s. Mine got volunteered. I loved that plane with the RSTOL. Added the Sportsman, and it allowed me to SAFELY use that RSTOL kit.

It was amazing. I put a Micro VG kit on my 180 hp 170 and was pretty disappointed. It mellowed the stall a bit, on a plane that had a mellow stall to start.

VGs work well on a Cub wing, but in my experience, they don’t make nearly as much difference on a Cessna wing.

The Sportsman is the bomb on a Cessna wing. My current ride has that kit, and I love it.

Finally, I fueled that 185 myself almost all the time. It spent half the year on floats, so hip boots. I’ve come really close to cutting myself REALLY bad fueling with VGs.

VGs work on Cubs. I’d never put them on another Cessna.

MTV
    Thanks CharlieN thanked for this post
    Likes algonquin, DENNY, aflyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Big improvement on my otherwise stock Camberlift wings.
    Put BLR vgs on my 180k stock wing flown plane over 3000 hrs vgs on for 650 hrs lowered stall 6 to 7 knots like them .had a 180j 74 before added sportsman cuff didn’t do a lot for it .flew a 180 h model strait wing put sportsman on it and wing x big impovment

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m with Mike, I don’t care for the VG’s on Wagons. The Sportsman kit is the way to go and on floats I’d go with the WingX and the sportsman kit. Taught in a 185f with a kit and it would scare you at how slow it will fly with full control.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I tell guys who ask that adding VGs on a Skywagon is like rolling the face of your airspeed instrument clockwise about 6 or 7 mph. Everything looks and feels exactly the same, just the airspeed is slower. Your 65 mph final attitude is now 58 mph. Guess what? Landings are shorter. Guys say they energize ailerons. If you fly the same speed with and without? That’s true. If you adjust the deck angle to the slower speed? Ailerons are just as they were before. I never noticed any change at takeoff.
    Last edited by stewartb; 08-30-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay thanks guys!

MTV you make a good point about fueling lol. I slide around on the top of my wings fueling
    Likes TCE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Micro VG's would seem to be an attractive alternative to a Sportsman cuff-- less $$ to buy and way less effort to install.
    I was on the fence about putting them on my old C150/150TD, but let someone talk me into them.
    FWIW the 150 kit is only about half the price as for a 4 place Cessna.
    I was unimpressed after installing them though--
    they might work well in conjunction with a cuff, but I wouldn't put them on a stock Cessna wing again.
    My two cents.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar experience installing VG’s on my Cub - an amazing improvement! The same didn’t apply when I installed them on my 185…in fact I couldn’t really tell the difference. As MTV noted the best bang for the buck on a Cessna wing is the Sportsman edge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay thanks fellas!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Okay thanks guys!

MTV you make a good point about fueling lol. I slide around on the top of my wings fueling
    Oh, man, if you crawl up on the wing to fuel, you do NOT want VGs out there. As I noted, fueling from cans on a VG equipped plane out in the bush, I always worried about bleeding out before I could get to help......

As others noted, I have heard great things about wing extensions on float equipped 185s. I've never actually worked one, though I've done quick flights in a couple, so I'm just passing on what I've heard from very experienced float pilots.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I flew for a few hundred hours between each mod...first the stock Cessna wing then Sportsmans edge cuff, then Vortex generators and finally wing extensions and so I had a pretty good reference when evaluating each. The Sportsman cuff and Wing extensions made about the same very noticeable improvement from the previous setup but the vortex generators didn't. The downside to the extensions was that it wouldn't fit in my hangar;-(

Post Thanks / Like
    I can only speak to adding VG's to my stock Camber Lift wing: I would do it again. Vast improvement for about three seconds a flight. Those few seconds once felt like hours without the VGs.
    My experience with Skywagons is limited at best as compared to others.
    Last edited by Bill.Brine; 08-31-2021 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put vg’s on my 185. No regrets. No problem fueling. I felt I had better aileron authority at the low end, especially in the flare. Also put the Bush leading edge cuffs on. I can’t tell you why, but the later model 185’s had a better feel on the low end. I would not make any changes, as the plane works well.
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I am agreeing with all of the above. I love the 180 with a cuff, and the 185 with the Robertson kit. I did not get a chance to play with the Sportsman before the owner put VGs on, and all I can say about Sportsman plus Micros is that I was way more comfortable at 55 mph with the cuff wing. With the Sportsman/Micros, 70 seemed to be the speed.

But then , I cannot even tell the difference in a Cub. I would rather invest in slotted flaps for the Cub, or a Dakota slotted wing.