• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

0200A Cylinders

Cardiff Kook

PATRON
Sisters, OR
My search for my first plane continues. Seems like every new log book I look at leaves me scratching my head thinking "is that an issue?"

Most recent has a 15 year old 0200A in it. Maintenance records look very good but it seems to have recurring cylinder issues- shown by a gradual decrease in compression and a replacement.

Is this symptomatic of another issue? I think the cyliner has been replaced three + times in 15 years. Maybe 500 hours on engine.

It’s symptomatic of Continental Cylinders. You’re looking at 80 year old technology. It’s not even as new as your father’s Oldsmobile. You can keep asking these questions, but it is what it is. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin, anyway.

Seriously, buy the best plane you can afford and use a trusted mechanic to do a pre-buy and have some fun. Regarding leak down checks, you can do one every day if you like and never get the same reading twice. Let a licensed, experienced mechanic do one on the pre-buy and analyze the logs and trust his opinion.

Engines wear out. Some faster than others.

Mark - some shops pull a cylinder the minute it starts to leak. Others (better shops, in my opinion) will have you fly it for two weeks and check it again. O-200 cylinders are on all my Cubs, and we rarely have problems. I know nothing about the O-200 A or the Cub Crafters Sport Cub.

I recommend a field trip to Legend. They may even warranty some stuff. That way you could specify exactly what you want. I believe their aircraft are as close as you can get to brand new Piper Cubs.

And congratulations! A major accomplishment!

Mine go over 1100 hrs before needing an exhaust guide. 100LL makes them stick a valve more often so EFree is a better choice.

Glenn

As Glenn is alluding to, these engines are not and were never designed for 100LL. Keep the alcohol and other chemicals away from these engines and they are extremely reliable. If a mechanic is routinely replacing cylinders on these you might find if you use a different mechanic the cylinders do not fail.
But get the lead out of them.

What cylinders were used and when. Continental lost the recipe for O-200 cylinders back when the Sport Cubs came out. Actually they started using a new sophisticated machine that took them back to grinding valves by hand for quite a while. hasn't been an issues in a while. I look at rebuilt cylinders like a time bomb, might go to TBO but might last 50 to 200 hours. I am a proponent of new cylinders at overhaul. Small Continentals do have more cylinder issues in my experience than Lycomings.

Weak link is the exhaust guide. The rocker arm tends to not hit dead center on the valve stem and puts a side load on the valve. Guide wears opposite side of rocker. Rest of the cylinder last a long time. Friend of mine can change a guide, redress valve face, lap, hone cylinder and install new rings in under 2 hours when I bring a cylinder over. Good for another 1000 hrs

Glenn

I have had issues with cracks on the rebuilt ones and they have the AD on timing and dye penetrating the rocker shaft bosses every time you remove one.

I just put 4 Superior Millenium cylinders on my O200. I hope these stand the test of time…they look like very good quality. I understand that O200 and C90 are the same cylinders with different valve springs….I have not had any issues with my C90 cylinders yet but do some have similar issues with the C90? And if not, why not? Operating RPM lower maybe

Last edited:
Well, my O-200 Continental cylinders went for over 20 years and several thousand hours without a problem. Never had one off or a need to. Overhauled in 2017 with new Milleniums. One cylinder had a head start to leak at the barrel at about 100 hours and was replaced. All 4 cylinders are now off and at the shop due to exhaust valve guide issues at about 250 hours. They have now been there for 3 months as Superior apparently has recently come out with new exhaust guides made from a new material that we waited for. Shop is now waiting on a new reamer that will cut this material. As I’ve previously posted all the symptoms I experienced and the fact I did nothing different in the operation of the engine after overhaul I won’t bore you with all of that here.

Last edited:
The valve guide problem is so common in the O-200 they have named it “ morning sickness”. When Guides starts to stick you get a ruff engine on the first take-off and it clears up when warm. That issue doesn’t cure itself. The repair is quick and easy but most engine shops will only do a overhaul at about $800.00. I agree with Cubdriver2 , he has a ton of time flying and working on these engines. The very best part is these engines are very reliable.

The valve guide problem is so common in the O-200 they have named it “ morning sickness”. When Guides starts to stick you get a ruff engine on the first take-off and it clears up when warm. That issue doesn’t cure itself. The repair is quick and easy but most engine shops will only do a overhaul at about $800.00. I agree with Cubdriver2 , he has a ton of time flying and working on these engines. The very best part is these engines are very reliable.

Yep, I don’t disagree.... like I said, I ran the engine for over 20 years with no problems. Before we pulled the cylinders, we dropped the valves and reamed the guides, then lapped the valves in place. 50 hours later the compressions were back down in the 40’s and 50’s. I wish I had an explanation, but I can only relay my experience. The shop is pretty well known.

http://www.unlimitedaeroengines.com/aboutus.html

ECI used to have valve rotators for the exhaust valves...alas they were bought by continental so its no more.

Back