• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Controls cables inside front lift struts. Switching to sealed struts

Globemaster

So I recently purchased an experimental super cub built in 1998. I've been flying the pants off of it and it's been a lot of fun but it's time for its first yearly condition inspection. I decided to go ahead and switch to the Airframes Alaska sealed struts and have them put on while it's in the shop but I totally didn't even realize that the builder had put the aileron control cables inside the front lift struts.

First of all, is this unusual?

Second of all, now that I'm switching to the sealed struts, am I looking at a lot of expensive work? I'm guessing I need to have them completely re-rig the control cables and will have to move some of the pulleys. The ones where the lift strut meets the wing re inside the wing. I'm guessing they will have to open the wing and completely move those pulley aft and down to match most super cubs? Sounds like it's going to be quite a project and I'm wondering if it's worth it to avoid the AD inspection on the non-sealed struts or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Why are you switching struts? I'm flying 81 year old ones now. Nothing wrong with original ones, you just need to inspect them once in a while.

Glenn

Unfortunately the ones on there currently have some corrosion. They might be okay but I'd feel better just getting some new ones on there. The previous owner said last time he had it in for its yearly inspection he had decided he was going to change them out as well but just didn't get around to it. I just don't like seeing rust on such an important piece of the aircraft.

Have you already ordered the sealed struts? The aluminum struts will save you something like 16lbs over the steel airframes struts and aren’t that much more.

I am building with aluminum struts with the cables running within them. The cables will be coated and sleeved so they can not harm the struts.
Are your struts in such bad condition they can not be cleaned and properly coated? There are shops in country that can properly clean the inside of the tubes and coat them. Might cost less than new tubes.

Globe,
I am running Javrons new Aluminum struts, they are about same weight as regular sealed struts, but man are they rugged! Moving the Cub around on floats pushing on them
they show their strength, And in bad as# turbulence there is definitely
a greater piece of mind. But lastly ,they are load rated 400lbs more! Than either standard sealed struts; or the lightweight Airframes aluminum struts. And the first morning I wake up at Camp, in the wintertime, to see 20" of wet snow On top of the wings: the Javron struts; will be very appreciated! And last but not least, the price is very reasonable. If your experimental: it's really a no brainer,
Good Luck
E

Last edited:
I looked at the price of the Airframes aluminum struts and damn... I was going to pay 2,800 for the sealed struts and the aluminum ones are 4,200. With a difference of 1,400 I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to stay with the sealed struts and pay the shop to move the pulleys so I can run the cable exterior? Am I over thinking this? haha

The HD Javron aluminum struts are less than $2000...... Check em out you will glad you looked into it deeper...bargain for what they are!
E

Get some Carlson aluminum struts. Build attach fittings from 6061 all for less than $1000. Or use the expensive factory struts and move control cables. Hardly rocket science.

Get some Carlson aluminum struts. Build attach fittings from 6061 all for less than $1000. Or use the expensive factory struts and move control cables. Hardly rocket science.

And is just what I have chosen to do, I am using the largest since I will be building with a single strut unless the design changes.

I built some aluminum ones too…you could easily adapt your inside the strut cable to aluminum struts. I bought my stuff from Southern Aero LLC

Back