• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Portland area flying/gatherings/groups?

AX-O

I will be heading out to portland area in Oct for a few months. Was wondering if there are any super cub type groups out in that area or any gouge so I can find some places to fly, camp, land near the beach, maybe fish. Already checked out the RAF web site.

Thank you,

Axel

Oregon has several state-maintained airports that are worth the trip. Two of my favorites are McKenzie Bridge and Owyhee Reservoir. A Google search of Oregon State Airports will yield a list. Washington State has some nice places as well. You can trek the coast up to Copalis Beach State Airport for some clam digging or hit some of the great Washington airports in the Cascades.

I think I counted 46 airports in the Portland area. Don't forget to go to Hood River. Neat town, and I think the airport has a courtesy car.

If you go too far north or just a little to the south with Portland in the rear view mirror might as well stay there-maybe at one of the tent cities that would also be in the rear view mirror.

If you go too far north or just a little to the south with Portland in the rear view mirror might as well stay there-maybe at one of the tent cities that would also be in the rear view mirror.

Esoecially around PLU. Ok, NW of there. TDO, at least one element at VUO, and definitely 49WA and 0WA2 are kinda redneck territory.

Thank you to those that provided helpful info. Not sure what to make of the rest of the comments.

I will be heading out to portland area in Oct for a few months. Was wondering if there are any super cub type groups out in that area or any gouge so I can find some places to fly, camp, land near the beach, maybe fish. Already checked out the RAF web site.

Thank you,

Axel

Swing by Grove Airfield in Camas (1W1) just northeast of Portland. Super friendly place, taildraggers everywhere.

Don’t listen to people who don’t live here but decide to talk poorly about it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

There are lots of friendly airports to visit, Grove is one of them. Hood River/the WAAM museum is great as well. The pumpkin dropping contest at Daniels Fld is a hoot, if it's still held.
I'd just avoid Seattle and Salem. Not exactly Cub friendly. East and west of both cities there are lots of Cub friendly strips.
I do live here and have an office south of Seattle and in Portland.
Give me a call when you get into town and maybe something is going on. My phone number is in the member directory.
Carey

My remark above didn't come across as I intended - it was intended as a friendly poke at Carey and to convey "ordinary folks" around here, but didn't do that. I apologize. There are lots of good strips and great Cub-type folks around.

Chukker flats on the John day, Mc Kenzie bridge, Keyway, Scappoose [ cheep fuel ] yes copailus Land on the beach, Pacific city , I am one mile off the scappoose airport to the west on the sectional
Bart G

There used to be a friday morning coffee & donuts get together at (I think) Starks Twin Oaks airport.
Might be a good place to meet other pilots & get some ideas about places to go.

Portland from a rear view mirror is a good thing. I saw that view 20some years ago after being raised down there and thought it had changed for the worse back then.
All kidding aside, we still have an airplane is Scappoose, a house on the Long Beach Peninsula, and it is beautiful.
Reds Horse Ranch is a neat place, good camping spots and the fishing is catch and release on the Minam is always fun.

Friday morning coffee and donuts is at Lenhardts Airpark, just east of Aurora. There is, or used to be, a Saturday morning breakfast at Starks Twin Oaks, sponsored be EAA chapter 105. Not sure on status of this event, but it is usually on the 1sr Saturday of the month. Covid may have affected this, but a call to Twin Oaks would answer this for you.

Back