• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any alternative to expensive OAT thermometers

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
Spruce wants something like 80 bucks for a darn through the window dial thermometer. Any ideas on another source that does not have the airplane word mark-up? I need a couple.

Attachments

• Thermometer OAT.png
    Thermometer OAT.png
    337.6 KB · Views: 121
On my PA-18A and then PA-12 I had something like this velcroed to the interior wing panel. Ran the probe out and stuck to bottom of wing root fairing with RTV. Once a year changed the AAA battery.

Gary

Attachments

• 41eBCN1dUpL._SL350_.jpg
    41eBCN1dUpL._SL350_.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 795
On my PA-18A and then PA-12 I had something like this velcroed to the interior wing panel. Ran the probe out and stuck to bottom of wing root fairing with RTV. Once a year changed the AAA battery.

Gary

That made me think about the app. Attach a probe where you want and just look at your phone when you need a reading. No wires that way.

Web

I prefer minimal distraction in the windows.....if I see something it want it to not be part of my plane and maybe another = see and avoid. Removing thermometers and replacing with something that's not blocking vision is why I went to the sensing units hung somewhere else. Plus spiders can find another home that way.

Gary

I prefer minimal distraction in the windows.....if I see something it want it to not be part of my plane and maybe another = see and avoid. Removing thermometers and replacing with something that's not blocking vision is why I went to the sensing units hung somewhere else. Plus spiders can find another home that way.

Gary

Plus the broken windows from snagging your jacket them.

Web

Back